England to sign rugby league Star

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: England to sign rugby league Star

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Logorrhea wrote:So they fancy him as a centre. Interesting.
To play with Eastmond or replace him? I think that's the more interesting question.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

What I find is mental about this is he is not coming over till October. Burgess will have 3 months before the 6 nations to get up to speed after a full season of League in Australia and no preseason in Union. He then has 11 months before the world cup.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-league/26223690

Sam Burgess faces fight for England place - Stuart Lancaster

England rugby union coach Stuart Lancaster says Sam Burgess will have to fight for a place in the national side following his switch from rugby league.
Burgess is to join Bath from Australian side Rabbitohs in October and will play at centre for the Premiership club.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Given the time frame I really can't see him being ready for the world cup in 2015. Still baffles me why they didn't go for Tomkins last summer when he left Wigan

Easier position to transfer cross codes and more time to pick up the technical points of the game
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

So Bath are picking up the full cost of his transfer?

I'd be interested to know what kind of relationship Mike Ford has with the RFU these days given that he was part of the 2011 fallout.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
ratpack
Mullet

Post by ratpack »

For me Burgess will be a massive success. He's got all the ability in the world, pace, good feet, unbelievable strength and a devastating handoff. He's made to be an inside centre. But the real crucial thing is he has a phenomenal work rate and he's massively dedicated to what he does, so the timeline doesn't really concern me. Didn't Jason Robinson go on a Lions tour less than a year after switching codes? Bath and England have themselves a real star. Potentially.

We better pray he's not mind you because the two twins will be following after him if he is and that is scary!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

ratpack wrote: Didn't Jason Robinson go on a Lions tour less than a year after switching codes?
As a winger maybe. The game is a lot more complicated at 12 and 13.

However he seems to be some specimen. I reckin he'll scare the shite out of a lot of people, but I cant see him being at his best foe the world cup.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

ratpack wrote:For me Burgess will be a massive success. He's got all the ability in the world, pace, good feet, unbelievable strength and a devastating handoff. He's made to be an inside centre. But the real crucial thing is he has a phenomenal work rate and he's massively dedicated to what he does, so the timeline doesn't really concern me. Didn't Jason Robinson go on a Lions tour less than a year after switching codes? Bath and England have themselves a real star. Potentially.

We better pray he's not mind you because the two twins will be following after him if he is and that is scary!
In some ways, a centre has to face less kicking and positional understanding transfers easily for natural athletes.

Robinson moved at a time of opportunity where pro rugby league rugby players were coming up against ex- amateur players. He was even able to move at a time when players could play both codes due to season alignment.