Penney dropped...for good

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Re: Penney dropped...for good

Post by [Jackass] »

hugonaut wrote:
[Jackass] wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:top four in your international market
:lol: :clap:
Munster are one of the four teams hosting a home quarter final in the HEC – on the basis of this year's competition [which is Penney's 'international market' compared to the 'domestic market' of the Pro12] they are in the top four.
You don't seriously think hosting a home quarter-final in the Heineken Cup makes you one of the top 4 teams in Europe, do you?

I would imagine the European rankings would be more accurate at establishing rankings. Better than the outcome of a once off draw at least.

By your (or ruckedtobits) logic, Clermont weren't one of the best 8 teams in Europe in 2011, despite being the second best team in Europe who just happened to be drawn in a group with the best team in Europe.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

Munster are ranked 4 in the European rankings as well (just behind Clermont). You seem to forget that Munster made the semis of the Heineken Cup last year (i.e., last 4).

http://www.eurorugby.com/index.php
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

http://www.ercrugby.com/erc/europeanranking/index.php

Lets not also forget that Cardiff were ranked in the top 6 along with Biarritz for the majority of the time the rankings have existed and the team under Zebre in the Pro12, Connacht, are ranked as third seeds and just outside the top 20 clubs in Europe (ahead of the likes of Racing Metro, French champions Castres, Munsters group opponents Gloucester and of course 3rd placed Aviva Premiership team Bath).

Also by your logic, Edinburgh were one of the 4 best sides in Europe only 2 seasons ago, as I mentioned, Clermont (despite winning the French Championship) were barely a middling European side as were treble winning Leinster last season and record European champions Toulouse....

Shall I go on?

Win something, or make it out of a European group Lansdowne RFC wouldn't make it out of, then we'll talk. (and not something where the goys are hungover after toppling Europe and having a two week rest and prep time ahead of it :mullet 1: )
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Massive difference between the 2 sets of rankings used in the last 2 posts.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

johng wrote:Massive difference between the 2 sets of rankings used in the last 2 posts.
Actually John, there is one major consistency between the two ranking tables. Leinster are ranked No.1 in both. All hail Leinster!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

F^7k ranking: pots in the cupboard, medals on your players. That's all that counts. Ranking doesn't give you a good draw even.