Pro12 General Discussion

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Re: Pro12 General Discussion

Post by [Jackass] »

Ah fair enough re Pro12 sponsorship not being announced, but hope something is in place. I always called it "The Pro12", but I'm surprised everyone seemed to call it "The Rabo". I wonder if it will be a case of people continuing to call it the Rabo even when a new sponsor comes on board, just like people couldn't disassociate themselves from calling "The Magners League" the "Celtic League" for the duration of the deal (pundits, journo's and punters alike). Not until the involvement of the Italians did the Celtic League tag drop, but I still read / hear it every now and then.

I hope people refer to it as "The Heino" from next season on (or will that be too D4 for pundits to stomach, unlike "The Rabo"?)

RE what Dave said, have to agree, it's difficult to see how associated brands would be a better commercial deal than a title sponsor. The gobshites running the show now though are so focused on the commercial and financial aspect now that no matter what happens, I'm sure they squeeze every cent out of the better route to take regarding sponsorship. (they're not gobshites because of that, just gobshites in general)
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

From a sponsors perspective a competition that ends in early April is worth less than one that ends in late may.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:Does this also explain the sponsor of the Heineken Cup?
One possibility is that Heineken have signed and with the HEC in full swing they want to maximise the media exposure by delaying the announcement.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Heineken on the other hand announced their last two renewals in December and November.
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote:
One possibility is that Heineken have signed and with the HEC in full swing they want to maximise the media exposure by delaying the announcement.
With everything else late and so much uncertainty, keeping Heineken would be a coup. The earlier it happens the bigger the impact and the bigger vote of confidence in the tournament.

A delayed announcement is wishful thinking. PRL fcuked this up and they might still be able to get something done but I don't see the 6N being too quick to bail them out in terms of using influence.

A bloody nose on the sponsorship front will restrain them somewhat next time. It's not good for rugby but we're reduced to talking about the less disastrous solution at this stage.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Slightly different - the comp is ending so no takeover of new sponsor. Would assume our PRL friends would have no problem announcing a "partner" if they had one
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The Doc wrote:
Slightly different - the comp is ending so no takeover of new sponsor. Would assume our PRL friends would have no problem announcing a "partner" if they had one
I know it's sarcastic, but I still don't like calling them friends.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
With everything else late and so much uncertainty, keeping Heineken would be a coup. The earlier it happens the bigger the impact and the bigger vote of confidence in the tournament.

A delayed announcement is wishful thinking. PRL fcuked this up and they might still be able to get something done but I don't see the 6N being too quick to bail them out in terms of using influence.

A bloody nose on the sponsorship front will restrain them somewhat next time. It's not good for rugby but we're reduced to talking about the less disastrous solution at this stage.
Lines crossed.
I was referring more to the fact that if Heineken had signef s deal on Pro12 sponsorship they wouldn't want it announced until after the HEC finsl
They then want the pro12 league to be referred to as the Heinrken Elite Competition.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

according to BBC SRFU selling naming rights to Murrayfield to BT for 7 years for 20m
wipes off 11m debt but then gives them more money for pro12 teams
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Not according to my information which in this case I am more confident than predicting the score tomorrow, the reason is they don't actually have any sponsors signed or even near to signing hence McCafferty saying it may still be called the Heineken Cup
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

From the indo.
BROADCASTERS IN SPONSORSHIP BATTLE

BT SPORT have announced a multi-million pound sponsorship deal with the four Welsh regions.

The broadcaster's name will now be emblazoned on the jerseys of the Ospreys, the Scarlets and the Dragons.

While the Cardiff Blues will continue with their existing sponsors, their stadium will be renamed the BT Sports Cardiff Arms Park.

The move is unlikely to be popular with Sky, who take over the broadcast rights of the Pro12 next season.

Both broadcasters will show the new Rugby Champions Cup next season.

Meanwhile, Turkish Airlines are expected to be confirmed as the league's new sponsors in the coming weeks
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Big name sponsor.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

ronk wrote:Big name sponsor.
Heineken?
Dont Panic!
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Dexter wrote:
Heineken?
Does that mean that next year League Final may be the Heineken Cup Final? Rumour that Turkish Airlines may be the sponsor. Chances if they are, do they do like Magners did and hand out the equivelent of a free pint to a row in the Grandstand/Anglesey stand, namely free flight tickets to anywhere on their network. Here's hoping.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Hornet wrote:
Dexter wrote:
Heineken?
Does that mean that next year League Final may be the Heineken Cup Final? Rumour that Turkish Airlines may be the sponsor. Chances if they are, do they do like Magners did and hand out the equivelent of a free pint to a row in the Grandstand/Anglesey stand, namely free flight tickets to anywhere on their network. Here's hoping.
man of the match will get a packet of peanuts and miniture bottle of gin
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Fry's Turkish Delight surely!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Morf wrote:Fry's Turkish Delight surely!
Full of Eastern Promise. :wink:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschool wrote:
Morf wrote:Fry's Turkish Delight surely!
Full of Eastern Promise. :wink:
Turkish Airlines Out
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

As of last week there was no one and the real prospect of no one before the start of the season
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

rooster wrote:
As of last week there was no one and the real prospect of no one before the start of the season
Surely not. I can see it being a difficult sell due the welsh delaying them going to the market but there must be someone out there who is interested in being associated with the league and getting their name blared out on Sky Sports.