Rugby Statistics

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Eoin Gubbins
Beginner

Rugby Statistics

Post by Eoin Gubbins »

Sorry if there's another thread for this - if there is, I couldn't find it. Numerical analysis of all sports is only going to get more popular since the Moneyball revolution in the US, and more people are starting to get serious about it in rugby too. It's not for everybody, but I think it's another great way to get even more value out of a game I love. Yesterday Murray Kinsella at The Score posted an article about New Zealand Rugby sports scientist Ken Quarrie's kicking analysis, which ranks ROG as 35th best kicker between 2002 and 2011 by a number of different criteria. I'd recommend anyone with this kind of interest having a look. Since Quarrie posted the dataset he used to come to this conclusion, I was able to use it to ask a couple of other questions of the data, and I've posted my analysis on my blog: http://bit.ly/1cgh5N4

Let me know what you think! And I'd be very interested to see any other similar work anyone else is doing.
Eoin Gubbins
Beginner

Re: Rugby Statistics

Post by Eoin Gubbins »

Hi lads, a mixture of a preview of today's match with some stats talk on the relevance of point difference as a tool for measuring the quality of teams: http://bit.ly/1ijV6pf

Any comments appreciated! Eoin
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Great work. Keep it up!
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Eoin Gubbins
Beginner

Post by Eoin Gubbins »

CiaranIrl wrote:Great work. Keep it up!
Thanks very much Ciaran!