LV Cup

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

LV Cup

Post by Hornet »

Congratulations to the Exeter Chiefs on their victory yesterday. Their first major trophy in their 143 year history. Good to see one of the newer AP teams winning something.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/26551754
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Re: LV Cup

Post by Keith »

A lot of fans complain about the Tourny but I would love for Leinster to be involved in something like this! A great way to expose players at a decent level.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

is the LV Cup their equivalent to our B&I cup?
Get in the f%~king bag.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Slipper1 wrote:is the LV Cup their equivalent to our B&I cup?

No, its the old Pilkington/John Player/whatever cup, the original English cup competition. Once the Premiership became the most important competition the cup became less popular. It was re-invented as the Anglo Welsh Cup (LV are the current sponsors). It hasn't regained its former prominence though, so a lot of less than full strength selections are used in it. Their equivalent of our B&I Cup is the B&I Cup
I have Bumbleflex
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Hornet wrote:Congratulations to the Exeter Chiefs on their victory yesterday. Their first major trophy in their 143 year history. Good to see one of the newer AP teams winning something.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/26551754
Delighted for them. Baxter has been doing a great job there and they seem to have some good young players coming through from their academy as well.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Not really, it's a cup comp between the 12 English and 4 Welsh teams. Each team plays four group games (played during the international windows when there's no AP or Pro12), group winners progress to semi-finals. KO stages are played at same time as last two rounds of the 6N. If an English team wins that team qualified for the HEC, not sure if that will apply to the new comp.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Sionnach
Bookworm

Post by Sionnach »

cormac wrote:
Not really, it's a cup comp between the 12 English and 4 Welsh teams. Each team plays four group games (played during the international windows when there's no AP or Pro12), group winners progress to semi-finals. KO stages are played at same time as last two rounds of the 6N. If an English team wins that team qualified for the HEC, not sure if that will apply to the new comp.
I've always thought of it like the League Cup in soccer. A tournament to play some youngsters, but if you start to do well in it bring in some bigger guns towards the latter stages.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

In that reserve teams are usually played and its used to blood young up and coming talent? yes, very much so.

Its a good idea, but its nowhere near being a "major trophy".