London Irish- the 5th Green Field?

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: London Irish- the 5th Green Field?

Post by artaneboy »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Apologies for the snide remark. There was merit in it though, you really can't contemplate this as being a runner if you can't list the players who would be available or aren't aware of the strength of their squad. It'd be like a bank promising to loan money without checking if they actually have any cash, just assuming its there because it was in the past.

I'm not asking you to predict who will be a success or not, all I've asked for is a list of guys who are finishing up in the academy this summer or have done so in the last couple of summers. Those guys will have the kind of age profile that's relevant to this idea. From that list you can whittle it down to the guys who aren't important to their province and find guys who are struggling for games but might have a future if they get them. It's not rocket science. So far you haven't come up with one player who could make the move to LI if the deal was struck for this summer, how can you not see that that is an issue? You say they're there so I really can't fathom why you refuse to name one.

Hagan is a bad example because, assuming a loan deal would be one or two years at most, he has done nothing in his one year so far to suggest that he has improved and we could use him if he came back. So why would you assume it'll work for anyone else? Similarly, Copeland wasn't ready for the top league straight away. He needed to go to Plymouth and then Rotherham before getting the move to Cardiff. Sheriff is another player you mentioned and he wasn't ready for Premiership rugby in his first season either. This is his third season away now and he won't be anywhere near the Sarries squad on Saturday, do you think a loan deal for LI would have done him much good? If I remember correctly, Artemiev started off in the championship and wasn't good enough for Northampton in the AP, now he's back in Russia. Morris is a good player who would have benefitted from this kind of move, I'd happily take him back. O'Connell and Hudson might have been too.

I'm not against loan deals, I just don't think we have the players (and again, prove me wrong by producing the list I've asked for) for this kind of arrangement. We would probably need two players a year to make it viable and I really don't think the provinces can spare that. We might be able to give them two players, but I think they would be of similar quality to the guys above. I don't understand this obsession with holding onto guys who have left the system. Sometimes they just aren't good enough or there just isn't a place for them. Take Copeland for example, I saw him at schools level and thought he was brilliant. Then heard great things from friends of mine who played with him for Mary's under 20s, saw him play for the firsts and thought he was great then too. There was nothing to suggest that he would become the player he has though, there would have been no loan to LI for him. We can't keep everyone in the net until their careers have ended.

As I said, loan deals are fine, just don't think you can do it in this systematic way. I won't name names given that you won't, but if player X is a second row and finishes in the academy this summer, and we think a loan deal would benefit him then I would hate for him to go to LI just to fill that quota of two, when he may not be good enough to actually get meaningful game time. There could be a French team that suits everyone's requirements better but you're snookered because you're struggling to send LI the two players you've promised them.

On Copeland, I was against bringing him back to Leinster because of the number and quality of our back rowers, nothing against him as a player and think he's a brilliant signing for Munster.

I think I've backed up my stance pretty well so won't be arguing any further.
Fair enough- you've mentioned (as I have previously) several of the players that would have benefited from the system, if it was in place now- Morris, Hudson, O'Connell- and to that I'd add Madigan and the unfortunate McKinlay a couple of years ago. The latter two would certainly have gained from a year or two in London and the AP. Those- and Hagen, Sheriff , Artymev, etc.- despite your dismissal of them, show we had the capacity to produce quality players in Leinster alone. Munster and Ulster had their potential exiles too.

Making a conservative 5 or 6 players available from the three provinces to LI each year, would be a significant attraction to that club. And I think your explanation of Copeland's abilities and maturation confirms- despite your conclusion that he would have benefitted too. That's also my last joust on the number of players that could avail of a loan. And if that stacks up- the other benefits on gaining a share of the AP funding pot stand tall. That's my bit now....
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

This is all moot now.

London Irish have made 3 signings for next year and precisely none of them are Irish or Irish qualified.

London Irish sign winger James Short from Saracens - English
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/26646316

Geoff Cross: London Irish sign Scotland and Edinburgh prop
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/26732458

Sean Cox: London Irish sign Edinburgh lock for next season - qualifies for Scotland born in England.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/26850568

Now coming back to the original idea of sending over lads out of academies - LI have just signed a Scottish International with 28 international caps and 130 games played for Edinburgh. Do you honestly think if they are aiming that high that a few youngsters with very few little game time is going to interest them?

In my opinion not a runner and as for LI looking to sign Irish players well that is fantasy too.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

why convert l irish? why not set up a brand new pro 12 side based in London but representing Ireland Scotland wales?

Overnight you'd have a big fan base, you'd have entry into a top European league playing against top sides, you'd have a larger pool of players and all 3 home unions could contribute to the cost.

Would be a great addition to the pro 12 (or Turkish airline 12 ) etc etc
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

IanD wrote:This is all moot now.

London Irish have made 3 signings for next year and precisely none of them are Irish or Irish qualified.

Sean Cox: London Irish sign Edinburgh lock for next season - qualifies for Scotland born in England.

Now coming back to the original idea of sending over lads out of academies - LI have just signed a Scottish International with 28 international caps and 130 games played for Edinburgh. Do you honestly think if they are aiming that high that a few youngsters with very few little game time is going to interest them?

In my opinion not a runner and as for LI looking to sign Irish players well that is fantasy too.
Just when I thought I was out; they drag me back in...! :P

Yes- of course I do. Because obviously they won't be paying young players anything like they will a 28-cap international. There's a very, strong chance that that young player will offer better value than a more expensive import. Any coach worth his salt would appreciate what signing such players would mean for his squad.

And- while I never made much of LI 'wanting to sign Irish players', the reality is they ARE doing just that. Eoin Griffin for one will join TOL and Ian Humphs next season. And they have explictly stated that they want to sign Irish players- see the link I posted at the start of the thread.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

JB1973 wrote:why convert l irish? why not set up a brand new pro 12 side based in London but representing Ireland Scotland wales?

Overnight you'd have a big fan base, you'd have entry into a top European league playing against top sides, you'd have a larger pool of players and all 3 home unions could contribute to the cost.

Would be a great addition to the pro 12 (or Turkish airline 12 ) etc etc
Better bet- and cheaper to make a deal with an already established club in London. LI already have a fan base and a connection with the Irish community- and most importantly an Irish exile owner-group who have in a sensible way- declared their wish to increase the Irish interest in the club. We could weork with them...

And- no offence to you TB, but I don't fancy trying to work a deal with the likes of the Welsh and Scots rugby playing community in London- not to even mention the Unions. That would be just murder...!
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

artaneboy wrote:

Yes- of course I do. Because obviously they won't be paying young players anything like they will a 28-cap international. There's a very, strong chance that that young player will offer better value than a more expensive import. Any coach worth his salt would appreciate what signing such players would mean for his squad.

And- while I never made much of LI 'wanting to sign Irish players', the reality is they ARE doing just that. Eoin Griffin for one will join TOL and Ian Humphs next season. And they have explictly stated that they want to sign Irish players- see the link I posted at the start of the thread.
If it is about cost that is one thing and a separate issue. Who would you want in your starting team a 28 cap international prop with 130 appearances in the PRO 12 or say Jack O'Connell with 7 appearances and a total of 133 mins for Leinster. I have no experience of coaching but I know who I would want to start a match.

You named one new Irish signing and I named 3 non Irish so numbers are not really stacking up for you either. And the quote was not about the number of players per say but an international.

''Central to the consortiums’s plans are to reinvigorate the club’s Irish links, including a desire to sign a top-flight Ireland international to underpin that commitment while also rekindling relations with the Irish Rugby Football Union.

“We would love to get our hands on a frontline Irish international but clearly we want to work with the unions,” said Smith,''
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

artaneboy wrote: Eoin Griffin for one will join TOL and Ian Humphs next season. And they have explictly stated that they want to sign Irish players- see the link I posted at the start of the thread.
iHumph going back to Ravenhill, that is all.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

IanD wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

If it is about cost that is one thing and a separate issue. Who would you want in your starting team a 28 cap international prop with 130 appearances in the PRO 12 or say Jack O'Connell with 7 appearances and a total of 133 mins for Leinster. I have no experience of coaching but I know who I would want to start a match.

You named one new Irish signing and I named 3 non Irish so numbers are not really stacking up for you either. And the quote was not about the number of players per say but an international.

''Central to the consortiums’s plans are to reinvigorate the club’s Irish links, including a desire to sign a top-flight Ireland international to underpin that commitment while also rekindling relations with the Irish Rugby Football Union.

“We would love to get our hands on a frontline Irish international but clearly we want to work with the unions,” said Smith,''
Wha- that's not even the start of an argument! :? What they're doing now in signings has no real relevance on what they might do if they had a partnership deal. They clearly state they want to increase the Irish interest in the club and they've made a start. The quote you chose not to notice stated, “Every year we play over in Munster and when we have problems with injuries, I am on the phone to the guys at Leinster, Ulster and Munster asking can we loan or trade players."

I never expected that they'd have a full roster of 35 to 40 Irish-qualified players. And it's not a reasonable expectation- in case you do insist that only this would prove their bona fides. The arguments that LI aren't interested or that there aren't the handful of players available to make it work are clearly unsustainable.

I'm guessing that there's a more deep-rooted nervousness at LI sucking players up and away from the provinces.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Peg Leg wrote:
artaneboy wrote: Eoin Griffin for one will join TOL and Ian Humphs next season. And they have explictly stated that they want to sign Irish players- see the link I posted at the start of the thread.
iHumph going back to Ravenhill, that is all.
Thanks for that...