TV3 secure rights to RWC2015

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: TV3 secure rights to RWC2015

Post by Dave Cahill »

Keith wrote: Wait now, I'm not saying ditch them. I'm saying to cut their ridiculous wages which could save RTE millions over a certain period of time. The RWC is a massive draw as there are people who would never even watch a 6N that would tune into a WC. I remember in 2011 the RWC was the talk of all my mates and most of them had never seen a rugby match before in their lives. World cups always attract new fans.

They can't cut their wages or they'd lose them, the market sets the wage - look what happened to us and Johnny.
I have Bumbleflex
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Keith wrote: Wait now, I'm not saying ditch them. I'm saying to cut their ridiculous wages which could save RTE millions over a certain period of time. The RWC is a massive draw as there are people who would never even watch a 6N that would tune into a WC. I remember in 2011 the RWC was the talk of all my mates and most of them had never seen a rugby match before in their lives. World cups always attract new fans.

They can't cut their wages or they'd lose them, the market sets the wage - look what happened to us and Johnny.
lose them to who? Do you think England will want them? :lol: Would they be a big loss as I constantly hear people complaining about them (Tubridy especially). I'm sure there are loads of people who would love to do their jobs.
leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

Keith wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

lose them to who? Do you think England will want them? :lol: Would they be a big loss as I constantly hear people complaining about them (Tubridy especially). I'm sure there are loads of people who would love to do their jobs.
This^^, anyone who thinks its the presenters that draws people to the monopoly that is RTE has been drinking the RTE spin doctor Kool-Aid. RTE could have fowl clucking over the mike and they would still post the highest listenership/viewers due to them being RTE, Hook, Pat Kenny et all get blasted out of it on the ratings as will anyone going up against the RTE monopoly, due to RTE being a virtual monopoly and the people who listen to radio watch RTE being innately conservative. Its high time we privatised RTE and let the market decide what those goons deserve to be paid.
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Keith wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

There is a market in Ireland you know, a particularly competitive on on radio and an increasingly competitive one on Television with the introduction of UTVI and the increased focus of both Sky and BT here. They didn't meet Pat Kennys wage demands and now he works for someone else. Lots of people you know (and I wouldn't be a fan myself in all honesty) may well complain about Tubridy, but I can find roughly 600,000 people every friday night who'd disagree with them.
Last edited by Dave Cahill on April 13th, 2014, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

leinster4life13 wrote: This^^, anyone who thinks its the presenters that draws people to the monopoly that is RTE has been drinking the RTE spin doctor Kool-Aid. RTE could have fowl clucking over the mike and they would still post the highest listenership/viewers due to them being RTE, Hook, Pat Kenny et all get blasted out of it on the ratings as will anyone going up against the RTE monopoly, due to RTE being a virtual monopoly and the people who listen to radio watch RTE being innately conservative. Its high time we privatised RTE and let the market decide what those goons deserve to be paid.
How is RTE a monopoly? You can prove yourself wrong by going to RTE2 on your telly and pressing the CH+ button. In point of fact, this thread proves you wrong - where is the 2015 RWC being broadcast?
I have Bumbleflex
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Pat Kenny left and was instantly replaced. Who cares if we lose him? He is widely regarded as the late late show's worst presenter. These guys are easily replaced and often by better presenters.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Keith wrote:Pat Kenny left and was instantly replaced. Who cares if we lose him? He is widely regarded as the late late show's worst presenter. These guys are easily replaced and often by better presenters.
I'd say RTE are miffed, whilst its still to early to tell as there hasn't been a full survey period since he left, we do know that he has doubled Tom Dunnes ratings, and the lead in and lead out shows have also picked up listeners. Those listeners had to come from somewhere and Today FM are pretty bulletproof in those slots
I have Bumbleflex
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Keith wrote:Pat Kenny left and was instantly replaced. Who cares if we lose him? He is widely regarded as the late late show's worst presenter. These guys are easily replaced and often by better presenters.
I'd say RTE are miffed, whilst its still to early to tell as there hasn't been a full survey period since he left, we do know that he has doubled Tom Dunnes ratings, and the lead in and lead out shows have also picked up listeners. Those listeners had to come from somewhere and Today FM are pretty bulletproof in those slots
If RTE's ratings are down I can tell you its not because Pat Kenny left. RTE are piss poor.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

You can't have it both ways :wink:
I have Bumbleflex
leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
leinster4life13 wrote: This^^, anyone who thinks its the presenters that draws people to the monopoly that is RTE has been drinking the RTE spin doctor Kool-Aid. RTE could have fowl clucking over the mike and they would still post the highest listenership/viewers due to them being RTE, Hook, Pat Kenny et all get blasted out of it on the ratings as will anyone going up against the RTE monopoly, due to RTE being a virtual monopoly and the people who listen to radio watch RTE being innately conservative. Its high time we privatised RTE and let the market decide what those goons deserve to be paid.
How is RTE a monopoly? You can prove yourself wrong by going to RTE2 on your telly and pressing the CH+ button. In point of fact, this thread proves you wrong - where is the 2015 RWC being broadcast?
RTE is a virtual monopoly as they are the only station in receipt of public funds in a controlled market.
Last edited by leinster4life13 on April 13th, 2014, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote:You can't have it both ways :wink:
Monopolies do have it both ways. :)
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

leinster4life13 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
RTE is a virtual monopoly as they are the only station in receipt of public funds in a controlled market.
Well a virtual monopoly isn't a monopoly, but anyways. They are in receipt of public funds, but unlike other channels have a number of legal requirements in terms of programming. They have to provide more news content than the privately owned channels and unlike them aren't allow include 'celebrity news' as part of the quota. They are also required to provide a range of programmes than aren't necessarily commercially viable or that engage mass popularity, like Arts programming, religious programming, educational programming, coverage of special events like state visits or funerals, programming for minority groups, or even, increasingly as legislation on advertising becomes more strict, childrens programming. Some of these, like arts shows can be cheap to make, but some, like Natural history programming are very expensive (even buying them in is expensive due to the increased reliance of the BBC and NatGeo on DVD etc sales). They also have to run two (formerly three) special interest radio stations and are required to provide nearly 400 hours of programming free of charge to TG4.

They were also, until recently, responsible for running the infrastructure that all terrestrial TV in the republic operates on and this has proved to be a greater expense than anyone envisaged due to political interference and the failure of BCI to sell the commercial licences
I have Bumbleflex