Heineken Semi Finals

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

tigerburnie
Enlightened

Heineken Semi Finals

Post by tigerburnie »

Good luck to Clertmont and Munster, but I fear neither will win away from home, not sure I could stomach a Sorries v Toulon final as they both seem to represent what is not the best of how the game could be going.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: Heineken Semi Finals

Post by Logorrhea »

Not sure. If Clermont finish like they did against the Tigers they will lose, but I think that scare may put them in the right frame of mind to do it away to Sarries. They are still a big ass physical team and Sarries have always struggled against those kind of teams.

As for Munster, if anyone could do it it could be Munster, but I don't think they will have enough. Toulon are a damn good team and the fact they are home will probably sway it.
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

Whilst the semis are not actually at the "home sides ground", Toulon will have most of the crowd behind them I would guess, same for the Sorries(who will probably rent a crowd from somewhere................................)
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

anyone know how many munster fans are travelling?
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I came to a very sad conclusion today. Previously if Leinster weren't playing I would support any other Irish side that was. I don't mean that I would just want them to win I mean I would sometime turn up for the match in person and cheer them on as if they were my side. When I couldn't justify buying a ticket and or travelling I would watch the match and cheer them on, very vocally, wherever I was. This year however, and being a Liverpool fan, I will not watch the Munster match as it clashes with Liverpool v Chelsea. It's not that I particularly want to see the soccer it just that I am apathetic when it comes to Munster. I can't figure out why though. It might be because of the section of their supporters that are so vitriolic in their hatred of anything from Leinster. Or it might be down to them choosing to support Leicester in 2009. But for whatever the reason I just can't be bothered even watching them this weekend. Sad really.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

offshorerules wrote:I came to a very sad conclusion today. Previously if Leinster weren't playing I would support any other Irish side that was. I don't mean that I would just want them to win I mean I would sometime turn up for the match in person and cheer them on as if they were my side. When I couldn't justify buying a ticket and or travelling I would watch the match and cheer them on, very vocally, wherever I was. This year however, and being a Liverpool fan, I will not watch the Munster match as it clashes with Liverpool v Chelsea. It's not that I particularly want to see the soccer it just that I am apathetic when it comes to Munster. I can't figure out why though. It might be because of the section of their supporters that are so vitriolic in their hatred of anything from Leinster. Or it might be down to them choosing to support Leicester in 2009. But for whatever the reason I just can't be bothered even watching them this weekend. Sad really.
They are our biggest rivals after all...
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

tigerburnie wrote:Whilst the semis are not actually at the "home sides ground", Toulon will have most of the crowd behind them I would guess, same for the Sorries(who will probably rent a crowd from somewhere................................)
They're not allowed to rent a crowd in ERC competitions. Unless they're up to something that isn't obvious from the interactive seat map on Ticketmaster then there aren't going to be many in Twickenham at the weekend.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Vamos los azules wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:Whilst the semis are not actually at the "home sides ground", Toulon will have most of the crowd behind them I would guess, same for the Sorries(who will probably rent a crowd from somewhere................................)
They're not allowed to rent a crowd in ERC competitions. Unless they're up to something that isn't obvious from the interactive seat map on Ticketmaster then there aren't going to be many in Twickenham at the weekend.

Sh!t! Is the tiny Tempah gig cancelled? What about the strictly x factor finalists doing.... whatever it is those people are supposed to do? And the massed voices of the Largest Choir in The World given free tickets and a crappy tshirt to wear singing "stand up for the saffacens"?

Over to the ticket thread with me. Any takers?
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

offshorerules wrote:I came to a very sad conclusion today. Previously if Leinster weren't playing I would support any other Irish side that was. I don't mean that I would just want them to win I mean I would sometime turn up for the match in person and cheer them on as if they were my side. When I couldn't justify buying a ticket and or travelling I would watch the match and cheer them on, very vocally, wherever I was. This year however, and being a Liverpool fan, I will not watch the Munster match as it clashes with Liverpool v Chelsea. It's not that I particularly want to see the soccer it just that I am apathetic when it comes to Munster. I can't figure out why though. It might be because of the section of their supporters that are so vitriolic in their hatred of anything from Leinster. Or it might be down to them choosing to support Leicester in 2009. But for whatever the reason I just can't be bothered even watching them this weekend. Sad really.
A perceived slight from 5 years ago? A somewhat delayed reaction then...

You sure you're not a bit guilty of vitriolic hatred yourself?
We're all red on the inside.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Not sure I can really see past a rerun of last years final. This time I think the result might be a little clearer as I think Toulon have improved while Clermont have slipped a bit. All of the above is based on my impression rather than any real evidence.

I would love to see Munster win but my head is telling me they will be lucky to keep it respectable.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Munsterboy wrote:
A perceived slight from 5 years ago? A somewhat delayed reaction then...

You sure you're not a bit guilty of vitriolic hatred yourself?
I could equally have cited the 2011, 2012 finals and pretty much every match in between and since. And no, I'm sure I'm not, apathy is pretty far away from hatred.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

It's all geared up for a shock underdog away win. Toulon may very well think it's time for a nice feel good event before their coronation in Cardiff. Munster do seem to be under the radar. Ala the Croke Park SF, few gave us much of a chance that day.

I don't have a problem supporting Munster (sometimes I do find it difficult, but I try my best), I definitely don't hate them. You have to ignore the loons that support a team by hating the opposition.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Munster can win. They're still a team built on miracle performances and they have the self control to go through 50 phases and bore the opposition into submission if that's what it takes to win. I think Toulon are a little more ripe for being caught off guard than they were against us.

They can still play good rugby.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

ronk wrote:Munster can win. They're still a team built on miracle performances and they have the self control to go through 50 phases and bore the opposition into submission if that's what it takes to win. I think Toulon are a little more ripe for being caught off guard than they were against us.

They can still play good rugby.
All true but on form it is a no contest. However this is rugby and stranger things have happened.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

For those thinking Munster have a shot.

Paddy Power has Munster at 3/1 to win and 10/1 for Munster to be behind at half time but then to win.

Just saying is all.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Aye, but a long shot is still a shot.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

With Leinster out, the reality is, for me, it is not going to make the slightest difference to my life whoever wins this tournament. However, I would prefer Clermont of the 4 semi-finalists but if they don't do it, I won't really care. Probably make an exception for Saracens but I don't think they have a chance of winning this tournament anyway.

As for Munster, I don't particularly want to see them win the Cup, but if they beat Toulon, good luck to them. I'd day a lot of their fans would feel the same way about Leinster. I don't really wanna support Toulon either so I'll probably watch the game knwoing any result is far from ideal but whatever. There's a lot of players on that Munster side who you'd be happy to see win another medal (individuals over the team).

Despite that, good luck to them. It'll be tough but I reckon they beat Toulon.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Arise Sir Rob of Penney, the anointed one.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Munster supporters are bad winners and bad losers. A rare trait in rugby, but they have it.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

deco wrote:Munster supporters are bad winners and bad losers. A rare trait in rugby, but they have it.
None of those up here, no sir!
Although they do have one interesting trait- jersey wearing, consistent jersey wearing. Working in Heuston station for a period of 3 months in 2011, every single day (without fail) someone landed on the platform in a Munster jersey, it was almost as if they were afraid of been mistaken for someone other than a Munster fan.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan