Heineken Semi Finals

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Heineken Semi Finals

Post by fourthirtythree »

Toulon butchered a couple of very good chances in the first half for us. They should have been well ahead and instead we were in it until the second half.

I agree that the tired, lazy, circle jerk narrative is just that though.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

[Jackass] wrote:Around this time of year usually delivers some favourite headlines

Leinster lose 29 - 14 in fortress Mayol

One article of note in national papers: "Champions Toulon too strong for sloppy Leinster"

Munster lose 24 - 16 in a neutral venue to a decidedly more edgy and less accurate looking Toulon who butchered a couple of tries but took all their chances against Leinster...

"Courageous Munster pay ultimate price for error-prone performance" (Munster were courageous but error prone, Leinster were sloppy)
"Toulon end battling Munster's Heineken Cup dreams"
"Munster’s bravery not enough as Toulon march on"
"Toulon march on after Munster’s brave effort comes up short"

Also, someone needs to buy these guys a Thesaurus.
Wouldn't take issue with any of those headlines to be honest, think they're a fair reflection of reality!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

[Jackass] wrote:Around this time of year usually delivers some favourite headlines

One article of note in national papers: "Champions Toulon too strong for sloppy Leinster"

Munster lose 24 - 16 in a neutral venue to a decidedly more edgy and less accurate looking Toulon who butchered a couple of tries but took all their chances against Leinster...

"Courageous Munster pay ultimate price for error-prone performance" (Munster were courageous but error prone, Leinster were sloppy)

Truth is they got a lot closer to them than we did. Mightn't be a pleasant truth but there you have it
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Reality is that Munster were still within a score with a couple of mins to go and pushing hard in last 10 - maybe should have taken the 3 points with 10 to go - result slightly skewed by last minute penalty.

Leinster game was done pretty much with 15 / 20 to go. Scoreline flattered us if anything.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

The Doc wrote:

Reality is that Munster were still within a score with a couple of mins to go and pushing hard in last 10 - maybe should have taken the 3 points with 10 to go - result slightly skewed by last minute penalty.

Leinster game was done pretty much with 15 / 20 to go. Scoreline flattered us if anything.
Doesn't concern me what the press said. Munster lost. End of.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

The Doc wrote:

"Ladyboy's Left Flattered by Mercenary Advances"
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Hornet wrote:
The Doc wrote:

Doesn't concern me what the press said. Munster lost. End of.
"One-Eyed Fans Revel in Neighbours Defeat"
Daniel Sullivan
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I agree with everyone posting here in response to Jackass, especially 433. We could have been out of the tie after 15 mins and were after an hour but Munster were within a penalty with a few mins to go.

I still haven't seen Murphy's try. The game was on too late for me and I switched off Mitchell's tie ender. Tried to watch highlights but gave up.

I also wouldn't worry about the media. Munster fans last night claiming bias on the part of the SKY but SKY were probably their biggest fans for a decade. Don't get too hyped up Jackass. Just enjoy whatever they say and laugh about it.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

suisse wrote:I agree with everyone posting here in response to Jackass, especially 433. We could have been out of the tie after 15 mins and were after an hour but Munster were within a penalty with a few mins to go.

I still haven't seen Murphy's try. The game was on too late for me and I switched off Mitchell's tie ender. Tried to watch highlights but gave up.

I also wouldn't worry about the media. Munster fans last night claiming bias on the part of the SKY but SKY were probably their biggest fans for a decade. Don't get too hyped up Jackass. Just enjoy whatever they say and laugh about it.
"Drunken Irish Expat Slams Counterpart with Reason, Balance and Logic"

I could do this all day!! :D
Daniel Sullivan
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Peg Leg wrote:
suisse wrote:I agree with everyone posting here in response to Jackass, especially 433. We could have been out of the tie after 15 mins and were after an hour but Munster were within a penalty with a few mins to go.

"Drunken Irish Expat Slams Counterpart with Reason, Balance and Logic"

I could do this all day!! :D
But you have to add a really sh!t pun, or it won't make the Irish newspapers.

"Peg has no leg to stand on in headline writing claim"
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Some Leinster fans and Some Munster fans could read the same article in the paper and both sets would claim it was "outrageously biased" against them.

It's called looking to be offended.

Waste of energy imho.

Like the way there is always some kn0b at every game screaming at the Ref the whole way through about their own side and how hard done by they are.

Ironic thing is many of them accuse the ref of bias. :lol:
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I'm trying to lead by example here Suisse!
Daniel Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

artaneboy wrote:Borthwick on BBC Radio 4 news this morning at 7.30. Usual guff on tough task ahead in final, etc. Then the interviewer asks for his view for the reason for the relatively poor attendance at their Semi. His reply is a beauty of 'on message' Wray briefing. Paraphrase here 'Can't say really why the attendance was poor; but this was an ERC controlled match. When we (Saracens) had control over the matches in Wembley, we filled the stadium, etc...'

Breathless at the cheek. :shock: Ye can fill a ground with €5 tickets when your are prepared to throw away your own money- but when you are participating as part of the major revenue raising of the shared competition and you fail to take advantage- at least have the grace to admit your discomfort. The Semis are a major part of the revenue raising base of the competitions. Don't try and blame the organisation for your failures- or imply that you could do better. Papering the ground may work in small scale competitions such as the AP or LV Cups- but not in Europe where the rest of us have to dip our bread. :evil:
According to this, the RFU opted for Twickers and Saracens agreed with them. The ERC had reservations, the could obviously remember last season but were over-ruled.

http://www.espn.co.uk/heineken-cup-2013 ... 23247.html
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Peg Leg wrote:I'm trying to lead by example here Suisse!
"Peg Leg facing expulsion after controversially removing Gran Torino signature"
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Donny B. wrote:
artaneboy wrote:Borthwick on BBC Radio 4 news this morning at 7.30. Usual guff on tough task ahead in final, etc. Then the interviewer asks for his view for the reason for the relatively poor attendance at their Semi. His reply is a beauty of 'on message' Wray briefing. Paraphrase here 'Can't say really why the attendance was poor; but this was an ERC controlled match. When we (Saracens) had control over the matches in Wembley, we filled the stadium, etc...'

Breathless at the cheek. :shock: Ye can fill a ground with €5 tickets when your are prepared to throw away your own money- but when you are participating as part of the major revenue raising of the shared competition and you fail to take advantage- at least have the grace to admit your discomfort. The Semis are a major part of the revenue raising base of the competitions. Don't try and blame the organisation for your failures- or imply that you could do better. Papering the ground may work in small scale competitions such as the AP or LV Cups- but not in Europe where the rest of us have to dip our bread. :evil:
According to this, the RFU opted for Twickers and Saracens agreed with them. The ERC had reservations, the could obviously remember last season but were over-ruled.

Quite a few of the tickets were sold at £15 and they had tickets on Groupon last week at £10 so the prices were way below the cost of pool matches. Sarries were even offering free food and drink in the West carpark before the match to try and draw a crowd.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Donny B. wrote:

In fairness, Borthwick is a rugby player not the Saracens marketing director. Very disappointing attendance for them though. I wonder if only opening the bottom tier had an impact? I've sat there and the views are dire and fans know they're dire.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Flash Gordon wrote:
In fairness, Borthwick is a rugby player not the Saracens marketing director. Very disappointing attendance for them though. I wonder if only opening the bottom tier had an impact? I've sat there and the views are dire and fans know they're dire.
Bit chicken and egg isn't it. If you aren't going to sell more than 25,000 tickets then there is no point in opening the top tiers.
Four Stars
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Lar wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Bit chicken and egg isn't it. If you aren't going to sell more than 25,000 tickets then there is no point in opening the top tiers.
Close the bottom and open the top!! :lol:
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

Well I wonder who'll they'll blame when they don't have the ERC to kick around for next season when they still can't attract a crowd.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".