concusssion. Fritz

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

El Diablo
Mullet

concusssion. Fritz

Post by El Diablo »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdNQQFm5tdo

Really shocking that Fritz was allowed back on after this. Newstalk have covered it extensively. Very scary.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Re: concusssion. Fritz

Post by offshorerules »

Looks like the IRB are going to look into it.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

Just watched the incident for the first time. Hopefully this is the final straw and will give the IRB the kick up the hole they need to finally do something serious about the concussion issue.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

I see the youtube video of the incident has been taken down "for copyright reasons". Does anyone know where it can be viewed? I had the match recorded on Setanta but fast forwarded right through it without realising it was so serious. I then deleted it.
I did get the following policy doc from the IRFU which is very reassuring:

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/28045.php.

I don't understand why this is not the standard policy world wide. I wonder what the reaction is in France?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

From Rugbydump
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

http://www.newstalk.ie/My-advice-to-par ... -rugby-now

‘My advice to parents is to get their kids out of this now'
Dr. Barry O’Driscoll, former IRB medical advisor reacts to a serious concussion controversy in French rugby

''The former medical advisor to the IRB has warned that rugby's world governing body is misinforming their players about the dangers of concussion.

Dr Barry O'Driscoll told the Right Hook that IRB's protocols for concussion have only served to trivialize the dangers of severe brain trauma.

It comes after a concussion controversy in France during a match between Toulouse and Racing Metro.

Toulouse centre Florian Fritz was left bloodied and concussed after a clash during the game and also collapsed on the sideline.

Yet minutes later he was allowed to return to the field of play... ''

Really sad that this is the message going out to parents but you can shoot the messengers.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Meant to say that I am shocked and stunned by the actions of Noves - who I have always thought highly of and was really impressed with him and his humility when I met him all be it only in passing - and the Toulouse medics. When Fritz falls on his way off the pitch it looks like he needs hopspitalisation. As I posted above when parents see that there is no way they will allow their kids play rugby. Urgent action from the IRB down needed.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

When he was waiting to come back on, it looked like he still couldn't really see straight. Not nice to see that at all.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

But it's not like we haven't seen Irish players staggering off the pitch, or falling down repeatedly and then playing on is it?
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

fourthirtythree wrote:But it's not like we haven't seen Irish players staggering off the pitch, or falling down repeatedly and then playing on is it?
Playing on in the same match? I do recall being fairly shocked that Luke Marshall was selected the week after being knocked out the previous week.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Rob Kearney and Brian O'Driscoll pop into mind.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

paddyor wrote:
From Rugbydump
Thanks Paddy,
That is absolutely shocking. I hadn't seen the pictures of Noves in the Medical room. I really can't believe he would endanger his player like that. Anyone heard the reaction in France yet?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

fourthirtythree wrote:But it's not like we haven't seen Irish players staggering off the pitch, or falling down repeatedly and then playing on is it?
What difference does that make?
I don't think anyone is getting their knickers in a twist about this being a French problem, it's a rugby problem. The IRB need to carry out a proper review of this occurrence and take steps to ensure situations like these don't happen. There really needs to be independent doctors available as part of the team of officials for these games.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Peg Leg wrote:
I don't think anyone is getting their knickers in a twist about this being a French problem, it's a rugby problem. The IRB need to carry out a proper review of this occurrence and take steps to ensure situations like these don't happen. There really needs to be independent doctors available as part of the team of officials for these games.
Actually I saw and heard quite a lot of references to how the French behave, compared to others like us or the English, in this controversy. It was even in the clip linked above. Whether their underwear was undergoing extreme torsion at the time is beyond my knowledge or indeed interest.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Actually I saw and heard quite a lot of references to how the French behave, compared to others like us or the English, in this controversy. It was even in the clip linked above. Whether their underwear was undergoing extreme torsion at the time is beyond my knowledge or indeed interest.
Well then, beyond any angular velocity being applied to ones underwear, we are agreed that this is an international problem that must be sorted in the interests of everyone who plays the game..... even the wreckless cheese eating, surrender monkies?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

TheBear wrote:
Playing on in the same match? I do recall being fairly shocked that Luke Marshall was selected the week after being knocked out the previous week.
Some where not happy with that, but that was all before the new touchline protocols came in.
The other thing is Pro rugby runs on different rules on this compared to club and underage which Barry did not mention.
Speaking to other medics about this they were very disappointed that Barry resigned over this as they thought he would have been better fighting it internally than from the outside.
That French episode is a disgrace with Noves down in medical room rushing them before the 10 minutes expired, should have been straight medical decision and nothing to do with coach.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

rooster wrote:
TheBear wrote:
Some where not happy with that, but that was all before the new touchline protocols came in.
The other thing is Pro rugby runs on different rules on this compared to club and underage which Barry did not mention.
Speaking to other medics about this they were very disappointed that Barry resigned over this as they thought he would have been better fighting it internally than from the outside.
That French episode is a disgrace with Noves down in medical room rushing them before the 10 minutes expired, should have been straight medical decision and nothing to do with coach.
Saw this live on Friday and could not believe he would be back on.Part of ther problem also was Toulouse only had 2 backs on the bench and didn't want to use Fickou too early but to see Noves hanging outside the medical room was scary.In fact when it happened to Fritz and they were taking him off he was almost lashing out at people as he didn't seem to have a clue where he was and there was no way I could see him coming back on.Really scary to see how desperate people are to win.Anyway as an aside what a penalty kicking master class from Johnny
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but an article from Shontayne Hape on the effects of concussion, that pretty much mirrored Fogartys article from a few years ago.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11264856

Brendan Fanning on Kenny Nuzum's death. http://brendanfanningrugby.wordpress.com/

Plenty of opinion pieces but these two are well worth reading.