B & I Cup 2014-2015

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

B & I Cup 2014-2015

Postby Xanthippe » June 13th, 2014, 6:08 pm

The Rugby Paper wrote:
Scots pull out of B&I Cup
Posted on June 13, 2014 by Nick Verdier

Scottish Rugby has today confirmed that its top four Premiership clubs will not take part in the 2014-15 British & Irish Cup.

The decision follows changes to the competition’s structure which would see six fixtures being played before Christmas.

According to a statement released by Scottish rugby, such changes would prevent Melrose, Gala, Ayr and Heriot’s from performing at their best in the B&I Cup as well as in the BT Premiership therefore “compromise the integrity of Scottish Rugby’s flagship club competition”.

Scottish Rugby’s director of rugby operations Colin Thomson, said: “In light of the changes to the British & Irish Cup competition structure our four qualified teams, Melrose, Gala, Ayr and Heriot’s will not participate in the 2014-15 competition.

“Discussions over the competition structure have been difficult and protracted and we have done everything in our power to try to influence a solution that would meet the needs of all participants.

“Regrettably this has not been achieved and the B& I Cup pool dates have been set for two blocks of three fixtures either side of the Autumn International window.

“Given this, we simply could not support six B&I cup games in the first half of the season as this would have a significant impact on the integrity of our own BT Premiership competition.

“Scottish Rugby will continue to work with its clubs to find suitable cross border opportunities.”

2014-15 British & Irish Cup structure

Teams
    12 Greene King IPA Championship clubs
    Four Welsh Principality Premiership clubs
    Four Irish provinces – Connacht, Munster, Leinster and Ulster Ravens

Pool stages
    Taking place on October 11, 18, 25, November 29 and December 6, 13, 2014
    Five pools of four playing home and away
    Four points for a win, two for a draw, one bonus point for a) scoring four or more tries and/or b) losing by seven points or less

Quarter-finals
    Taking place on January 24, 2015
    Top side in each pool progress to knock-out stage, plus three best runners-up
    Eight quarter-finalists ranked with teams ranked 1-4 having home advantage

Semi-finals and Final
    Four winning quarter-finalists progress to semi-final draw, which takes place on weekend of March 13/14/15, 2015
    Winning semi-finalists progress to final to take place on weekend of April 3/4/5, 2015

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest-breaking-news/16918/scots-pull-out-of-bi-cup/

#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Xanthippe
Malcolm O'Kelly

Return to General Rugby