Munster 2014/2015

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Munster 2014/2015

Post by johng »

simonokeeffe wrote: Guinezeau and GVDH still to be announced
goreyguy wrote:
johng wrote:Gvdh is out of contract. Handy signing for any province as he would be iq after another year. Munster may well keep him.

But then again he seems well down the pecking order unless he has been injured a lot
apparently not, contracted until next year, missed most this season with acl injury.
janeymac08 wrote:
johng wrote:He must have signed an extension then
http://www.munsterrugby.ie/mobile/news/11889.php
Think that is wrong. Garret Fitz said recently in one of those video interviews that he was initially contracted for 3 seasons.
From 4 pages back.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

There were conflicting reports so I tweeted Murray Kinsella and he said 2 year deal with option of third

If he is staying/under contract adds more weight to the idea theyre not getting an NIQ TH and are using the slot for a Lock (outside bet a 7) and or Guniezeau (if hes not still a medical joker)
Last edited by simonokeeffe on June 16th, 2015, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think it's impossible to guess tbh. They've lost Varley unexpectedly through retirement and POC was allowed break his contract, plus I doubt anyone is putting the house on Ryan and Sherry staying fit, so hopefully the union are giving them a lot of leeway.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I think it's impossible to guess tbh. They've lost Varley unexpectedly through retirement and POC was allowed break his contract, plus I doubt anyone is putting the house on Ryan and Sherry staying fit, so hopefully the union are giving them a lot of leeway.
Foley did say they were/would have to be looking for a big player to replace POC
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

The suggestion is that the move for Cronin has been in development for a long time - best use of resources and all that - its risky but we have a real need at tighthead and if he can fill it (or switch between sides) would be a huge advantage. That said I'd have huge concerns that we would be left with Archer (who has come on but is and probably always will be hugely up and down).

ASt the minutes we have ten players covering back 5 => Ryan/Foley/Holland/DOC/DOC2/POM/TOD/Stander/Copeland/JOD

This is three less than this year (POC/Dougall & Butler gone). Shane Buckley is a back row but there is really no sign that he is highly thought of. Jordan Coughlan has been signed and will presumably get some chances. Madigan and Mccarthy are the locks in the academy but again they have barely played B&I cup

Our starting backl 5 is ok but there is a serious lack of depth - not sure where the money will be spent but its hard to see that there won't be signings
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Nice Euro draw, hopefully home quarter final too as polls 1 and 5 are dog fights and the Glasgow pool is anybodies

Ten points from Treviso, Stade in Thomond should be a win and Leicester are much weaker than even last season, lost 17 players this summer (7 or 8 really good ones) and only signed 9 (none of them great shakes)
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

simonokeeffe wrote:Nice Euro draw, hopefully home quarter final too as polls 1 and 5 are dog fights and the Glasgow pool is anybodies

Ten points from Treviso, Stade in Thomond should be a win and Leicester are much weaker than even last season, lost 17 players this summer (7 or 8 really good ones) and only signed 9 (none of them great shakes)
I'd agree with you, it's a pretty soft draw. Anything less than a home quarter final place would be a poor season.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It might not be a bad draw but they really aren't a particularly good side and are losing POC. They've got a very good chance of winning the group but I don't actually see them beating Stade or Leicester away.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:It might not be a bad draw but they really aren't a particularly good side and are losing POC. They've got a very good chance of winning the group but I don't actually see them beating Stade or Leicester away.
Very vulnerable to key injuries eg POM, Murray, Keatley but Leicester have recruited very poorly this summer, theyve lost Thorn, Parling, Salvi, Gibson, Barbieri, Mele & more, replaced them with nobodies, and then theres the big question of if Tuilagi will stick around/be playing. Also question of when they get their England players back too

Tigers away could be a good one for them to get early on, plus its one theyll get up for psychologically
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Agree that Leicester are on a downward spiral but most of those players they're losing haven't been great for them. Thorn was very average and Parling (although a brilliant player) has missed an awful lot of rugby over the last couple of years and can see him missing more and more with those head knocks. I never rated Hamilton and he hasn't been first choice for ages, never rated Deacon either. I don't know enough about their recruits to rate them but I believe they have money to spend and Mauger might be able to bring over some quality with him. Brendan O'Connor is one player who I really rate but his arrival is offset by losing Salvi who was actually pretty good for them. They're keeping Tait too and he's been in excellent form recently. Even just having Dan Cole fit would be a big swing in their direction. I don't rate Cockerill and as I said I agree on them going backwards but they've been decimated by injuries and would expect them to rally.

Hard to know how good any of them will be but I think the big 3 can legitimately expect to win their home games. I'd back Munster to get through it but only just.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Hamilton and Deacon i dont think played all season
Parling and Thorn had 14 and 16 games (nearly all starts) respectively in league and Europe, Gibson 21,
Salvi was their best backrower and theyve basically lost 3 of their 4 matchday backrowers

20 points should well be enough for a home quarter though worst comes to worst
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Offocial: Luke O'Dea off to ProD2 (rejected short term world cup cover deal), Matt Darcy to join on 3 month deal as RWC cover
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I'd imagine there will be plenty of Munster supporters unhappy about that.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

offshorerules wrote:I'd imagine there will be plenty of Munster supporters unhappy about that.
Hard to blame a guy for not accepting a 3 month contract when a full contract was on offer elsewhere.
Luke is a decent player who has been dogged by injury and has never had an extended injury free run. Hopefully he will have an injury free season and get a chance to fulfill his promise.

In this case I think your imagination is running riot.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

All Blacks nil wrote:
offshorerules wrote:I'd imagine there will be plenty of Munster supporters unhappy about that.
Hard to blame a guy for not accepting a 3 month contract when a full contract was on offer elsewhere.
Luke is a decent player who has been dogged by injury and has never had an extended injury free run. Hopefully he will have an injury free season and get a chance to fulfill his promise.

I meant it as a comment about how unlucky he was not to fulfil his potential, nothing more. So you're happy he's moving on?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

leaves them with Jones, Zebo, ROM, Conway, Sweetnam, GVDH tbc and Earls* as senior back 3 players for next season, Fitzgerald in academy/IR u20s looks decent too

*Earls could be set for 13 role next season, Blyendal is a 10/12 (as is Scannell), Hurley is a 12, Darcy is a 12 (?), Saili normally plays 12 though from what little Ive seen could do a job at 13,
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

offshorerules wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:

I meant it as a comment about how unlucky he was not to fulfil his potential, nothing more. So you're happy he's moving on?
I'm not bothered he's moving on at all. He's quick but he's a bit small and he's behind Earls, Zebo, Conway, ROM and GVDH for a wing spot. We have Sweetnam coming in, plus a few lads in the Academy. We don't need him so he's better off giving it a go elsewhere. I hope he does well and ends up in the AP.
We're all red on the inside.
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

simonokeeffe wrote:leaves them with Jones, Zebo, ROM, Conway, Sweetnam, GVDH tbc and Earls* as senior back 3 players for next season, Fitzgerald in academy/IR u20s looks decent too

*Earls could be set for 13 role next season, Blyendal is a 10/12 (as is Scannell), Hurley is a 12, Darcy is a 12 (?), Saili normally plays 12 though from what little Ive seen could do a job at 13,
Have only started paying attention to Saili since we signed him but every time I've watched him he's been at 13. Has played 12 but I think he's viewed more as an OC.

Basically it's probably Hurley/Saili/Scannell at 12 and Saili/Earls/Bohane at 13. Bleyendaal was originally expected to play a good bit at 12 but with JJ off I think we'll see him mostly at OH.

I'd personally like to see Saili and Earls given a good go. Could be lethal.
We're all red on the inside.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

As a fellow clare man, I am dissapointed that lod has moved on, but Imo it is the best decision for the player.

A 3 month contract is no good if you want rugby to be you full time profession.

Munster are well stacked with quality wingers, with a few very promising players coming through. One player not mentioned above is Greg o shea, who would have been considered a much better prospect than Fitzgerald not that long ago.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

LOD very unfortunate. Looks a better player than Conway but he is injury prone and can't stay fit for any length of time.

Darren Sweetnam is a very good prospect and I'm looking forward to seeing him next season. Very classy player.