Munster 2014/2015

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ceemec
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster 2014/2015

Post by ceemec »

Dave Cahill wrote: Plenty of people in Ireland - in fact every single deer hunter I've ever met - hunts deer for the meat, its kind of the point.

Now, do they need to hunt for venison when they could just buy it in the butchers, perhaps not, but at the end of the day the deer is getting killed. Whether its from a distance with a rifle or in a crush with a Humane Killer, the end result is the same and one could argue that its more ethical to kill your own food rather than keeping a nice sanitised distance between the plate and the reality

Hunting and killing an animal that you or someone else isn't going to eat is an entirely different bag of spanners.
We'll agree to disagree then, Dave. I've known guys who hunt and they do so because they enjoy hunting. They use the meat because it's an added benefit but they enjoy hunting and the outdoors; that was their rationale. As you say, if they purely wanted meat, they'd go to their local butcher.

Hunting for sport and hunting to feed yourself are different things. Hunting for sport (which, as I've said, I don't agree with) and hunting for sport and happening to use the meat of the animal are not that far apart, to me. Both are entirely unnecessary.
Tricky Dicky
Knowledgeable

Post by Tricky Dicky »

ceemec wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: Plenty of people in Ireland - in fact every single deer hunter I've ever met - hunts deer for the meat, its kind of the point.

Now, do they need to hunt for venison when they could just buy it in the butchers, perhaps not, but at the end of the day the deer is getting killed. Whether its from a distance with a rifle or in a crush with a Humane Killer, the end result is the same and one could argue that its more ethical to kill your own food rather than keeping a nice sanitised distance between the plate and the reality

Hunting and killing an animal that you or someone else isn't going to eat is an entirely different bag of spanners.
We'll agree to disagree then, Dave. I've known guys who hunt and they do so because they enjoy hunting. They use the meat because it's an added benefit but they enjoy hunting and the outdoors; that was their rationale. As you say, if they purely wanted meat, they'd go to their local butcher.

Hunting for sport and hunting to feed yourself are different things. Hunting for sport (which, as I've said, I don't agree with) and hunting for sport and happening to use the meat of the animal are not that far apart, to me. Both are entirely unnecessary.
I think we can all agree that trophy hunting, and posing with dead animals is bad and wrong
He who fights, and runs away... ...can run away another day
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

Tricky Dicky wrote:
I think we can all agree that trophy hunting, and posing with dead animals is bad and wrong
I seriously doubt it. Unless "all" refers to your immediate family. Personally dislike it but I bet there are people who read these board who would disagree.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Doubler.
Last edited by fourthirtythree on August 7th, 2014, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

I used to get pheasant from the mother of a friend. She got them from a local shooting club as they weren't eaten.

I'd pay not to have to deal with the animals to be honest.

I think people into guns are dicks. Hunting is usually just an excuse for a d!%khead to own a gun. Eating the kill is usually just an excuse to go hunting in the first place. I've heard American dicks explain how the protein is an essential part of their diet and they can't afford meat otherwise. While spending multiples of the cost of meat on hunting trips, lots of guns, and d!%khead fetish gear for hunting in and posing in with their guns.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Lu Tze couldn't make generalisations like that
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

if he kicked as well as he shot the Crusaders fans wouldnt have been so delighted to see the back of him :P
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:Lu Tze couldn't make generalisations like that
Ah, but he wouldn't waste his time doing so.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Another example of the alchemy of molehills being transformed into mountains.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Dave Cahill wrote:Lu Tze couldn't make generalisations like that
And yet, there it stands. Gun culture is poisonous, puerile, pathetic, and at the same time overwhelming.

The cant that gun fetishists camouflage their pathology with does not withstand scrutiny. Most hunting is merely ridiculous and explicitly symbolic. It has nothing to so with lovely food.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

fourthirtythree wrote:Most hunting is merely ridiculous and explicitly symbolic. It has nothing to so with lovely food.
Most? Don't you mean the tiny minority of sport hunting compared to hunting for sustenance?
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I don't want to get side tracked into a debate on the rights and wrongs of hunting for sport as to be quite honest I don't really care. However when I first saw this I thought was how stupid is it for professional sportsmen to get photographed. There was a very recent example of a model losing her contracts for the same thing during the soccer world cup. So for guys who know that their income depends largely on sponsors to have themselves photographed is pretty dumb if you ask me given that the sponsors might move to distance themselves from their actions.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

offshorerules wrote:I don't want to get side tracked into a debate on the rights and wrongs of hunting for sport as to be quite honest I don't really care. However when I first saw this I thought was how stupid is it for professional sportsmen to get photographed. There was a very recent example of a model losing her contracts for the same thing during the soccer world cup. So for guys who know that their income depends largely on sponsors to have themselves photographed is pretty dumb if you ask me given that the sponsors might move to distance themselves from their actions.
Or they could get more sponsors on the flipside
Daniel Sullivan
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I really cannot see how that would happen in the short term anyway.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

offshorerules wrote:I really cannot see how that would happen in the short term anyway.
I'm thinking Beretta or Winchester. Fly half / sharp shooter, seems like a match made in heaven to me.
Daniel Sullivan
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

:)
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Time to get a grip lads, so a lad legally shot a few animals for what ever reason, it could well have been a cull.

The notion that the majority of hunters in Ireland do so for food is ridiculous. Lots of people do it for the fun of it, the same lads that shoot deer during deer season would also be shooting pigeon, crow, magpies, fox, badger etc the rest of the year, all in the name of keeping the vermin numbers down. Or truth be told, they just enjoy shooting.

In Ireland we have packs of dogs who chase fox, hare etc then catch them and rip them to pieces, all while people ride around on ponies behind them, now that is cruelty and barbaric, not shooting a plentiful animal with a well placed shot.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Jeez thought this was a rugby thread get a grip lads wrong place for this thread :roll:
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

munster#1 wrote:Time to get a grip lads, so a lad legally shot a few animals for what ever reason, it could well have been a cull.

The notion that the majority of hunters in Ireland do so for food is ridiculous. Lots of people do it for the fun of it, the same lads that shoot deer during deer season would also be shooting pigeon, crow, magpies, fox, badger etc the rest of the year, all in the name of keeping the vermin numbers down. Or truth be told, they just enjoy shooting.

In Ireland we have packs of dogs who chase fox, hare etc then catch them and rip them to pieces, all while people ride around on ponies behind them, now that is cruelty and barbaric, not shooting a plentiful animal with a well placed shot.
It was in it's hole a cull and you know it. It was a big game hunt on a game reserve.As someone who hunts the middle paragraph is true. I don't really understand the appeal of them game reserves though. Apparently in America you can shoot an elephant from the back of an elephant(they use animals that would otherwise be culled). That would be the extreme I suppose. In Ireland (in my experience) vermin control is done by agreement with the land owner. Gun club controls the vermin and in exchange gets access to the land for game. Control the food supply and you control the vermin(not all that true with crows etc.). You might not agree with it but having hunters on the land controlling the vermin is a far more targeted approach than farmers laying poison.

There's no 2 ways about any of it though it's all cruel. When the greens banned the use of dogs in the Ward union hunt(they are AFAIK the only ones who hunt deer on horse back) they used a helipcopter to chase it with the horse and hounds chasing after the scent a bit further back. The animal ended up just as scared and completely b*lloxed as it normally would. They don't kill the animal btw, just run it into the ground. There's no real point to it other than tradition which IMO is a fig leaf for the fact it's really just a clique. It does contribute to the rural economies and communites though.

My Dad (RIP - 6 months dead today) was big into pheasant hunting. He once shot a bird 3 times over the course of a 2 hour period without the bird dying or ever getting the bird. My brother and I used to joke the pheasant must of thought he was some sort of terminator stalking him as he did over 3 fields. But that's anthropomorphism. They're not human and they don't think like humans. Anyway in the end he was probably eaten by a fox.

My Dad had no time for driven hunts/game reserves as he thought they were "gay as clays". Though the animals are probably going to be culled anyway there is something contrived about it. It's billed as Man vs Beast in the wild where it's really men plus machines vs semi wild animal in a secluded park. I don't get the posing over the carcass either. They look like gobshites!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles