Ulster 2014/15

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: Ulster 2014/15

Post by Avenger »

Another home semi win. Good game. Hard luck Ulster.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

It has to be said, Ulster are some chokers! Didn't they lose to us last year in the semi in similar fashion? That game was there for the taking, very disappointing.
Having said that, well done Glasgow, they never gave up.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I think ulster could have done with some impetus off the bench when they were flagging in the last quarter. They were genuinely unfortunate not be have scored at least one more try earlier. When Glasgow got a sniff ulster couldn't raise the intensity back up to where it needed to be.

Hope Paul O'Connell finishes up his provincial career with an extra medal. I think ulster needed to win the pro 12 more though.
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

blockhead wrote:It has to be said, Ulster are some chokers! Didn't they lose to us last year in the semi in similar fashion? That game was there for the taking, very disappointing.
Having said that, well done Glasgow, they never gave up.
That a lot harsh, apart from the end of the first half coming away with no points from a dominant 5 yard scrum there was few moments of the match that they mised opportunities
Glasgow won that game far more than ulster threw it away
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Question for the more learned among you but was Clancy not wrong to call the penalty for the high tackle on Matawalu (and not just cos hes a cheating diving playacting toerag) as he was playing an advantage to Ulster, albeit from a knock on?

any other game he just comes back for the advantage, or is this one of these cases of Clancy technically being correct but you never see it called in any other match?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

simonokeeffe wrote:Question for the more learned among you but was Clancy not wrong to call the penalty for the high tackle on Matawalu (and not just cos hes a cheating diving playacting toerag) as he was playing an advantage to Ulster, albeit from a knock on?

any other game he just comes back for the advantage, or is this one of these cases of Clancy technically being correct but you never see it called in any other match?
Not claiming to be one of the more learned but that was a home town decision.
also earlier call to give 5 yard scrum rather than 22 for pienaar after a question (!) of obstruction from a kick ahead
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

StrangeButBlue wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Question for the more learned among you but was Clancy not wrong to call the penalty for the high tackle on Matawalu (and not just cos hes a cheating diving playacting toerag) as he was playing an advantage to Ulster, albeit from a knock on?

also earlier call to give 5 yard scrum rather than 22 for pienaar after a question (!) of obstruction from a kick ahead
that baffled me, and not just being irritated over knacker Rhianna and his diving

think that ruling was Pinaar carried it over but to me he had foot over the line and ball was still moving
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

simonokeeffe wrote:
StrangeButBlue wrote:

that baffled me, and not just being irritated over knacker Rhianna and his diving

think that ruling was Pinaar carried it over but to me he had foot over the line and ball was still moving
The initial pass to Matawalu, which he kicked on, was forward so should technically have gone back DoR Ulster scrum on about half way.

Wonder if the three penalty decisions for Matawalu would have gone differently if Owens had been ref - none of the three were penalties.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Notwithstanding the dive, it was a clear high tackle and penalty.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

am happy I will be seeing him play a lot less next season

he is a nasty piece of work, puts in a lot of cheap shots too, joins in melees when numbers on his side, high/tip tackles too