PR threaten to play during World Cup

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

PR threaten to play during World Cup

Post by The Doc »

Having wrecked hovoc on the HEC and Welsh rugby, the PR teams are off again - this time at their own Union
ESPN wrote:
Tension between Premiership Rugby and the RFU could be about to boil over with frustrated clubs threatening to play during next year's World Cup unless a deal can be struck.

Premiership Rugby, angered by the RFU's refusal to consult it over any bid for the World Cup, is demanding a £14m compensation package in return for shutting down the league next Autumn while the tournament is played out.

Read more at http://www.espnscrum.com/2015-rugby-wor ... 5yQjWMm.99
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Aird
Bookworm

Re: PR threaten to play during World Cup

Post by Aird »

See Nigel Wray's comment it's a good job that The PRL have never entered into a binding contract without consulting the other parties.
I wonder has it dawned on him yet how ironic his comments are.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The Doc wrote:Having wrecked hovoc on the HEC and Welsh rugby, the PR teams are off again - this time at their own Union
ESPN wrote:
Tension between Premiership Rugby and the RFU could be about to boil over with frustrated clubs threatening to play during next year's World Cup unless a deal can be struck.

Premiership Rugby, angered by the RFU's refusal to consult it over any bid for the World Cup, is demanding a £14m compensation package in return for shutting down the league next Autumn while the tournament is played out.

Read more at http://www.espnscrum.com/2015-rugby-wor ... 5yQjWMm.99
I wonder how the PRL arrived at the figure of £14m.
Surely it's a case of cash flow revenue rather than lost revenue and as a result the issue would be the cost in servicing the delayed revenue stream plus no doubt some additional overhead costs such as cutting the grass because it'll still be growing even tho' the pitch isn't being used (FFS a few goats would sort that out and they could even charge the farmers a few £m for the privelege).
The real solution for them is to play the Anglo-Welsh group matches during the WC. There's really very little difference in the disruption the WC causes and the disruption the AIs cause.
The PRL have done such a good job on re-modeling the financial benefit of the HEC to all concerned that I really don't get this new money grabbing initiative.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Didn't they play through the 2011 RWC? Big f*ck up on the part of the RFU if they never agreed this in the EPS agreement.

Meh! Not our problem!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

paddyor wrote:Didn't they play through the 2011 RWC?!
Nope. They finished up 6 weeks early. We were waiting on Nathan White who was captaining Waikto in the final of the NPC.

Which reminded me that he will now be IQ. Handy enough player as backup for the wc
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I love them, anything they don't agree with is a "restraint of trade and probably illegal". Unlike entering binding contracts during a breach of fiduciary duty for example. That's not illegal...

As long as they aren't absolutely crushed for the good of the game that bunch of Nigels will ruin it for everyone. Unfortunately the united front necessary will never materialise.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

johng wrote:
paddyor wrote:Didn't they play through the 2011 RWC?!
Nope. They finished up 6 weeks early. We were waiting on Nathan White who was captaining Waikto in the final of the NPC.

Which reminded me that he will now be IQ. Handy enough player as backup for the wc
I meant PRL. And yes they did(as did we), I've checked espn. I assume you meant NZ.
fourthirtythree wrote:I love them, anything they don't agree with is a "restraint of trade and probably illegal". Unlike entering binding contracts during a breach of fiduciary duty for example. That's not illegal...

As long as they aren't absolutely crushed for the good of the game that bunch of Nigels will ruin it for everyone. Unfortunately the united front necessary will never materialise.
They do have a point though. If the RFU went ahead and agreed to IRB demands without consulting them and agreeing a compo package or work around then that's stupid on their part. RFU can argue that a RWC is massive exposure for the game all round in England and this will benefit the clubs in the long run but they'd need that understanding to begin with.

I don't think they're as strong as they make out. I'd say they're worried about a post RWC flight of talent. It'll be a problem for us too but we're in line for a bigger slice of the revenue(Well we were) as are the Welsh and we've got less teams to support. There's as big a divide between the top and bottom of the AP and the P12. If a few English fringe players(e.g Toby Flood) move to France that'll only widen. Whereas for the P12 unions it should be a bumper year.

Not sure if participation fees have been agreed yet, if not, this could be a problem. For the IRFU it should be of no concern in any negotiations.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I assumed you meant the host country, as the rest of the world all continue playing.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Will the Welsh have to play only away games during the wc? As there are games in the mill stad.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

johng wrote:Will the Welsh have to play only away games during the wc? As there are games in the mill stad.
This says all except the French played on during the 2007 RWC. T14 season didn't start until 26th Oct. There isn't a full list of results for the Magners League. If it's just Mill stad sponsors etc might not care. Big thing is probably having Tonga vs Namibia on at the same time as Saracens vs Quins.

Wonder how this rule would affect us potentially hosting it in 2023.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Aird wrote:See Nigel Wray's comment it's a good job that The PRL have never entered into a binding contract without consulting the other parties.
I wonder has it dawned on him yet how ironic his comments are.
Irony??? You're crediting him and his oligarch mates with too much subtlety.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

pre and post RWC big rugby buzz in England, during it all eyes on RWC so clubs would do well to get 50% of their season ticket holders in. also its IRB mandated release so they wouldnt get anyones internationals so itd be glorified LV cup

maybe predicted/predictable PRL nonsense contributed to only 2 club grounds being used
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

It's right about now the RWC15 organisers are trying to sell the namibia vs tonga games - they are already allowing 15 tickets per person for a predictable subset of group games.
The PRL are trying to put pressure on the rwc15 to pay more cash so the rwc15 can get the minnow matches sold without rugby fans distracted

Personally I think this is an opportunity for the Ireland RWC23 push to go up a gear - We could promise the opposite effect where we would make every effort to sell out the lower tier matches rather than the short term brinkmanship of the prl who have really made a future RWC in England a long long way off.

I even think it pushes the possibility of any country with a rogue club structure (RRW) down the pecking order for future world cups
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

If I was Lancaster I'd implement a policy of only picking players for Engalnd squads who play abroad. It'd be my best chance of having some semblance of control.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference