Pro 12 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Post by FLIP »

Nobody likes us and we don't care we actually do care.
Anyone But New Zealand
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Naming 2 x Munster centres is a bit like Naming the Nigerian Ski team for an award. :lol:

2 Scarlets a Glasgow and an Embra is not great for non Irish fans either.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

johng wrote:Naming 2 x Munster centres is a bit like Naming the Nigerian Ski team for an award. :lol:

Just shows what a load of b****x these "fantasy" teams are. I don't even read these anymore, complete rubbish.
Dont Panic!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Who should've made the side though? Adam Byrne maybe, but after that there aren't too many you could make a solid case for.
Luke McGrath maybe based on his try scoring.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:Naming 2 x Munster centres is a bit like Naming the Nigerian Ski team for an award. :lol:

ah for once one fo them is from Munster, when's the last time that actaully happened :wink:
in general I wouldnt dispute most if not all the Munster picks; Triggs, McGrath and Byrne

is it judge voted rather than fan voted now?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

If that's fan voted then it's a fair reflection of the provincial engagement with their fans and the paltry marketing effort this season. Looks like a list compiled by that Farrell lad that used to write for the the indo
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

My gut reaction was they got to be kidding. Then I thought about it and it makes some sense. We have rotated hugely and have very few players vieing for the top of any of the pro 12 stats. We have spread the goodness over a large squad.

League placing rewards that. Once you accept that our best players are out of the running (and are say the best props in your he pro 12 by a distance...) it makes sense. No problem Tyler being there but Sexton, Byrne, and Carberry are by some distance the best squad at outhalf in the tournament.

Very much hope some of our lads get the opportunity to set the record straight in the final!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Just checked the pro12 site. We don't have a single player in the "most" anything category. Which is amazing and brilliant. A real "sum of our parts" effort this year.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Some funny comments on social media wondering who 'Ben Toolis' is. Pro 12's leading lineout winner. I guess the point of these fantasy teams is to reward the guys who've consistently performed well in the league, independently of their overall ability (and that's the way it should be).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

fourthirtythree wrote:My gut reaction was they got to be kidding. Then I thought about it and it makes some sense. We have rotated hugely and have very few players vieing for the top of any of the pro 12 stats. We have spread the goodness over a large squad.

League placing rewards that. Once you accept that our best players are out of the running (and are say the best props in your he pro 12 by a distance...) it makes sense. No problem Tyler being there but Sexton, Byrne, and Carberry are by some distance the best squad at outhalf in the tournament.

Very much hope some of our lads get the opportunity to set the record straight in the final!
Yeah, I'd agree with that.
Even in our POMP a few years back when we were winning or making the final in every comp every year, we'ed still get only 3 or so in the Fantasy team. Its a Pro12 Comp, its based on peformances in the Pro12.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

fourthirtythree wrote:My gut reaction was they got to be kidding. Then I thought about it and it makes some sense. We have rotated hugely and have very few players vieing for the top of any of the pro 12 stats. We have spread the goodness over a large squad.

Think I'd have Jackson ahead of Blyendaal.

I'd need to watch more games to make a call on some of the others. Think there's a lot of solid players there (E.g. Holland) rather than great players tbh.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Just to confirm its voted by journalists

Toolis smacks of looking at stats rather than games
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Dexter wrote:

Just shows what a load of b****x these "fantasy" teams are. I don't even read these anymore, complete rubbish.
Aye but players have to have played at least 10 league games. Given how several squads are decimated for Internationals etc it's not that surprising.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Would certainly have preferred to get Ospreys in SF but let's hope that self-inflicted wound reminds everybody that winning is never an entitlement.
Rex_Banner
Beginner

Post by Rex_Banner »

Agreed, between today's game and clermont the lads should hopefully be going into the semi knowing just how important it is to have your head screwed on right!
christy
Bookworm

Post by christy »

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

christy wrote:http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-uni ... -1-4438994

interesting news if true
Most of it is neither true nor interesting, and anything thats true isn't interesting because it has been discussed for a while at this stage and anything thats interesting simply isn't true.

If an article mentions...

SA Franchises
North American Franchises

...then you can be certain its b*%&!x. For example it says
The timing is crucial because Italy is due to become a full member of the Pro12 on 1 July but this is now looking increasingly unlikely. Instead, the Italians would have to pay just to participate
obviously unaware that the Italians used to pay to participate, but that stopped two or three years ago! Also the italian franchises have a broadcast deal with Discovery Network, through their Eurosport channels
I have Bumbleflex
christy
Bookworm

Post by christy »

Dave Cahill wrote:

interesting news if true
Most of it is neither true nor interesting, and anything thats true isn't interesting because it has been discussed for a while at this stage and anything thats interesting simply isn't true.

If an article mentions...

SA Franchises
North American Franchises

...then you can be certain its b*%&!x. For example it says
The timing is crucial because Italy is due to become a full member of the Pro12 on 1 July but this is now looking increasingly unlikely. Instead, the Italians would have to pay just to participate
obviously unaware that the Italians used to pay to participate, but that stopped two or three years ago! Also the italian franchises have a broadcast deal with Discovery Network, through their Eurosport channels
Thanks Dave, that is also interesting if true :D
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

interesting news if true
Load of badly researched b*%&!cks except the mention of a Rome franchise which was being suggested would take Zebre's place in the league but lack of movement on that it is looking like another season in Parma.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

rooster wrote:

interesting news if true
Load of badly researched b*%&!cks except the mention of a Rome franchise which was being suggested would take Zebre's place in the league but lack of movement on that it is looking like another season in Parma.
I don't know if it's badly researched in the sense that some quotable sources are saying things like that and probably have an axe of some sort to grind.

In terms of making sense, it's badly researched and clearer heads wouldn't allow this.

The knock on effects of the Italian clubs leaving would be a strengthening of Premier Rugby at the expense of Scottish and Welsh clubs, which is partly where these rumours come from.