Pro 12 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Post by simonokeeffe »

kermischocolate wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:for us to win league we need to finish 2nd or 3rd
4th is away to Glasgow for semi

reckon Glasgow will top it, but theyll have to move a final at least to somewhere bigger wont they?
Mocker gods I'm not counting any chickens.

But realistically we're aiming for a home semi. Capacity at scotstoun will be 15,000 for the 7s 2nd weekend in May. Not sure if a few extra thousand can be added- more to do with ground capacity than stands I think. Ibrox did surprisingly well for the commonwealth games but iirc the pitch is too small.

A long season to go yet!
well Glasgow at home in semi

realistically top 4 is between Glasgow, us, ospreys, Ulster and Munster if they can get their act together
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Wouldn't be handing out the title to Glasgow just yet. They have to play in Raving hell in two weeks time against a fuming Ulster team. We could be right behind them after that.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

blockhead wrote:Wouldn't be handing out the title to Glasgow just yet.
This.

Did we not start last season 5 from 5 but were scraping wins? So far we seem to be able to attack and get try scoring bonus points so are playing much better.

International windows could well be our downfall as going on form few Edinburgh players should be anywhere near the Scotland team. Plus I believe Fiji and Canada are touring so that's potentially another 4 players lost.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Great start for us, and we have two winnable games ahead. If we start the season 6-0 it will be a real boost going into the ERC and AI period.

Webb and Biggar are the form half backs of the league at the moment, not sure how we will cope when we lose them to Wales duty :cry: .

I still fancy a top 4 of Glasgow Leinster Ulster and Munster though, with us, scarlets and proably Connacht fighting it out to make the top 6
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

apparently the Munster game was Ospreys first win outside Wales for 12 months

IMO now looking at Glasgow Leinster Ulster Ospreys top four
think Connacht will make Europe (unless they go mad again trying to play Barbarians rugby in depths of winter)
and Munster and Scarlets fighting for other Euro place
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Missed all the games tonight, just seen the scores now.

Connacht will be sick but still playing well. They are here for the season I'd say.
Just how bad are Edinbugh? 30-0! How the hell did they beat Munster?
Zebre, late kick from Ospreys rescues the welsh.
Things a changing in the Pro12.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

some of the reffing in this league is unbelievably bad. Yer man in Galway tonight being a case in point.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

all the Pacific Islanders leaving the principality as the bad weather sets in: Talei has just left dragons, Haluifia going on loan from Scarlets
Lou Reed maybe going on loan to Leicester from Cardiff, didnt think they had locks to burn
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

We were very poor , really missed Biggar and it wasn't until webb and AWJ came on that we get on top, still another away win for us.

If we can beat the blues next weekend we will be some 18 points clear of them and the dragons, and we can all but rule those two out of a top 6 finish.

Glasgow looking very strong this season, certainly the early faves for a top spot finish
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Watching Edinburgh V Dragons on Sky at the moment....0-0 after 32 minutes and Peter Fitzgibbon reffing..................losing the will to live! :(
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Top 7 really starting to pull away now from the other 5. However there are a lot of top 7 head-to-heads coming up between now and new years. Connacht and Scarlets could end up in scrap for that 6th spot in next years Heino.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

PRO12 attendances are up almost 50K on this time last year after 7 rounds. Although about 50% of that could be down to the Aviva game. Still, last year was a record year in the PRO12 for ave attendances, so for all the constant knocking of the competition, its getting bigger year on year.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

blockhead wrote:PRO12 attendances are up almost 50K on this time last year after 7 rounds. Although about 50% of that could be down to the Aviva game. Still, last year was a record year in the PRO12 for ave attendances, so for all the constant knocking of the competition, its getting bigger year on year.
think its rugby building in general
Connacht bit more successful, high profile signings and media coverage
Glasgow tearing it up (and Rangers still nowhere/how rough Scottish football is) plus their expanded ground
Cardiff back in accessible home/making big signings
Ulsters lovely big ground
Munster playing all games in Thomond (getting double attendences than last season in Cork)
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

blockhead wrote:Top 7 really starting to pull away now from the other 5. However there are a lot of top 7 head-to-heads coming up between now and new years. Connacht and Scarlets could end up in scrap for that 6th spot in next years Heino.

Connacht home to scarlets nov 29th when all the Scarlets welsh players will be on national duty could be a big fixture.

I still fancy a top 4 of the big 3 irish provinces and Glasgow, we just don't have the squad depth once call up's/injuries hit.

The dragons ,Cardiff and Edinburgh have been very poor this season and I don't see anything much changing for the rest of the season
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:
blockhead wrote:PRO12 attendances are up almost 50K on this time last year after 7 rounds. Although about 50% of that could be down to the Aviva game. Still, last year was a record year in the PRO12 for ave attendances, so for all the constant knocking of the competition, its getting bigger year on year.
think its rugby building in general
Connacht bit more successful, high profile signings and media coverage
Glasgow tearing it up (and Rangers still nowhere/how rough Scottish football is) plus their expanded ground
Cardiff back in accessible home/making big signings
Ulsters lovely big ground
Munster playing all games in Thomond (getting double attendences than last season in Cork)
That's a joke, yeah?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Peg Leg wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote: Munster playing all games in Thomond (getting double attendences than last season in Cork)
That's a joke, yeah?
Not too far off it. Musgrave avg last season was 7.1k. Thomond, so far, this season is 13.3k. (Not taking in to account actual attendances vs. ticket sales)
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

JB1973 wrote:
blockhead wrote:Top 7 really starting to pull away now from the other 5. However there are a lot of top 7 head-to-heads coming up between now and new years. Connacht and Scarlets could end up in scrap for that 6th spot in next years Heino.

Connacht home to scarlets nov 29th when all the Scarlets welsh players will be on national duty could be a big fixture.

I still fancy a top 4 of the big 3 irish provinces and Glasgow, we just don't have the squad depth once call up's/injuries hit.

The dragons ,Cardiff and Edinburgh have been very poor this season and I don't see anything much changing for the rest of the season
think youll find theyve been poor every season :D throw in Treviso chairman scaring his players out the door and 3 tier league now really a 2 tier league
meinster wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote: Munster playing all games in Thomond (getting double attendences than last season in Cork)
That's a joke, yeah?
Not too far off it. Musgrave avg last season was 7.1k. Thomond, so far, this season is 13.3k. (Not taking in to account actual attendances vs. ticket sales)
what he said
think a few welsh derbies helped a bit too
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

[
think youll find theyve been poor every season :D throw in Treviso chairman scaring his players out the door and 3 tier league now really a 2 tier league
meinster wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
That's a joke, yeah?
what he said
think a few welsh derbies helped a bit too[/quote]

maybe even 3 tier?

I'd be amazed if us Connacht or the scarlets can actually win it these days. The winner is pretty much down to the "big 3" irish teams and Glasgow.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Stop trying to lure us into a false sense of security. 2010 and 2012 champs and league leaders.

"Little old Us? Oh no. We are hopeless"

Mebollix!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Did I mention unbeaten in the comp?