Pro 12 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Post by Dave Cahill »

The Doc wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Losing just two games a season from the schedule would cost the IRFU a figure that I conservatively estimate to approach 9 million Euro per season
The only unknown variable would be if German/SA/US/ANOther brought in guaranteed TV, sponsorship or other revenue which changed the calculation

Italy brought guaranteed TV - indeed they've had no problem finding broadcast partners. And Italy is a country, unlike the US and Germany, where rugby has a deep penetration in significant markets and where, again unlike the US and Germany, the Union can use the behemoth of the 6 Nations as carrot and stick. Also the FIR are rolling in money.

The assumption is that a TV deal always comes with a big bag of cash - thats actually the exception rather than the rule. TV companies aren't stupid, they're only going to pay what they think the deal is worth to them. Sometimes thats a lot of money, sometimes its very little and sometimes the sport has to pay the television company just to get airtime.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The union have not been forceful enough in reacting to the attitudes of some of the (in particular print) media to the league. If I had my way some journalists would be lucky to get accreditation to interview sevens squad members
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:The union have not been forceful enough in reacting to the attitudes of some of the (in particular print) media to the league. If I had my way some journalists would be lucky to get accreditation to interview sevens squad members
if you had your way youd kill anyone who looked at you cockeyed
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

The Doc wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Losing just two games a season from the schedule would cost the IRFU a figure that I conservatively estimate to approach 9 million Euro per season
The only unknown variable would be if German/SA/US/ANOther brought in guaranteed TV, sponsorship or other revenue which changed the calculation

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Aye but they would have to bring in 25 million at least to be better off.
Any word about the Parma team being relocated to Rome, that was a genuine topic of discussion since this time last year, the rest are website clicks and column fillers.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:The union have not been forceful enough in reacting to the attitudes of some of the (in particular print) media to the league. If I had my way some journalists would be lucky to get accreditation to interview sevens squad members
if you had your way youd kill anyone who looked at you cockeyed
Most of the press corps survived my time as PRO of the supporters club. Most of them.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Always wondered what happened to one or two Indo hacks
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The Author sounds covinced thats its going to happen. The comments below are from very excited SA fans.
Pro14/15? Thats 4/6 extra games/season. How would we squeeze them in?
We of course could host them at the Aviva for the first few years anyway until the novelty wears off.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

It could lead to two leagues down the line I guess, with relegation & promotion. I mean, it's conceivable...

Hard to imagine a pro 14 right now though. Maybe it could work a bit like the conference system in super rugby?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

blockhead wrote:
The Author sounds covinced thats its going to happen. The comments below are from very excited SA fans.
Pro14/15? Thats 4/6 extra games/season. How would we squeeze them in?
We of course could host them at the Aviva for the first few years anyway until the novelty wears off.

The surprising thing for me is how keen the South Africans are to break away from super rugby. Also a third South African team being interested is a good sign if true. It means there must be a decent amount of money in the pot.

The pro12 said they want less games so it'll be divided into conferences and they want to have a French style top 6 playoff.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

From the Ospreys website:
Season membership numbers for 2017/18 edged close to 5,000 and within touching distance of last year’s final total after a busy week in the build up to last Saturday’s earlybird deadline.

With more than two months still to go before Bath visit the Liberty Stadium in mid-August for a Canterbury Cup clash, the number already signed up ahead of the coming season is double where it was at the same time last year.

This comes on the back of a third consecutive season of rising crowds at the Liberty Stadium, with a Guinness PRO12 average for 2016/17 of 9,026.
Litle bit of good news on a rainy morning.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

You should check out the prices of an Ospreys season ticket. The cost of their premium season ticket (most expensive) is £275, and even that's only £200 if you take the earlybird prices. Ridiculously cheap, even taking into account that South Wales isn't a particularly well-off area.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The important point is the comparison with last season.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

They have a policy of one adult can bring up to 4 children free or as near as free think it is £25 for the upgrade to a family ticket which screws the total amount of cash brought in, still good though that their numbers are up.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

rooster wrote:They have a policy of one adult can bring up to 4 children free or as near as free think it is £25 for the upgrade to a family ticket which screws the total amount of cash brought in, still good though that their numbers are up.
good idea when thyev a 25 or 30k stadium to play around with
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Jackman new head coach of Dragons
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Pro12 2017/18 is going to be full of characters in the dugout.
Cockers at Edinburgh, Jackman at Dragons, Rennie at Glasgow, Gibbes up north, Lancaster here, Erazamataz down there, Keane out west.
Lots of fun!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

cormac wrote:Jackman new head coach of Dragons
That's actually a pretty good appointment for him, expectations are low and they can only get better. They've recruited fairly well for the season ahead and with WRU taking over will probably have less financial worries. If he can get them ahead of Edinburgh and the Italian sides in the Pro 12, have a decent Challenge Cup campaign and at least put up a reasonable attempt at overtaking Cardiff as Wales' third best region, he'll be judged a resounding success.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

rishman Bernard Jackman takes the coaching reins of the Dragons this summer amid reports of causing a 'dessert storm' at his former employers Grenoble.

The nine-times Irish hooker is claimed to have caused player unrest at the Top 14 club when banning puddings from the players' menu at the club's training ground.

It was also reported by French media that some players found his physical training methods too hard and his offensive system too complicated.
Dessert Storm! :lol:
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:

A lot of your figures though aren't really that accurate

Just as an example
all in all I doubt the impact would be much more than 1M per province per season
Leinster generate well over 6 million euro in revenue from the two Aviva games. So you're over 5 million out there for a start.
Corporate stuff is maybe another 50-100k. That's a guess but I doubt there's huge demand around these matches.
There is actually a very high demand around these matches from the SME sector. Reduced prices has increased demand from companies who can't afford to run a package for customers at one of the 'big' games but can afford to do so at a fixture like this - after all most of the 'corporate' attendees don't care about the game, just 'the do'.
I'm not sure what you're getting at when you talk about Leinster's revenue from Aviva games. The 1M was a bottom up rough estimate of the reduction in ticket, sponsorship/advertising, TV and corporate revenue of not having the Italians in the league. The Aviva matches wouldn't be affected in the slightest by dropping Treviso and Zebre.

I may have underestimated the corporate stuff but how high can it be for each of those games? There's only so many boxes etc.

I also didn't knock anything off to account for the savings so I don't think that, when everything is weighed up, 1M per province would be far off. 9M - 2.25 per province - looks like a massive overestimate. Where did you get that from?
We're all red on the inside.