Pro 12 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Post by simonokeeffe »

cormac wrote:Jackman new head coach of Dragons
Youd think theyd have learnt their lesson about Irish coaches :wink:
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Munsterboy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

A lot of your figures though aren't really that accurate

Just as an example
all in all I doubt the impact would be much more than 1M per province per season
Leinster generate well over 6 million euro in revenue from the two Aviva games. So you're over 5 million out there for a start.
Corporate stuff is maybe another 50-100k. That's a guess but I doubt there's huge demand around these matches.
There is actually a very high demand around these matches from the SME sector. Reduced prices has increased demand from companies who can't afford to run a package for customers at one of the 'big' games but can afford to do so at a fixture like this - after all most of the 'corporate' attendees don't care about the game, just 'the do'.
I'm not sure what you're getting at when you talk about Leinster's revenue from Aviva games. The 1M was a bottom up rough estimate of the reduction in ticket, sponsorship/advertising, TV and corporate revenue of not having the Italians in the league. The Aviva matches wouldn't be affected in the slightest by dropping Treviso and Zebre.

I may have underestimated the corporate stuff but how high can it be for each of those games? There's only so many boxes etc.

I also didn't knock anything off to account for the savings so I don't think that, when everything is weighed up, 1M per province would be far off. 9M - 2.25 per province - looks like a massive overestimate. Where did you get that from?

Without Treviso and Zebre (or if the league lost any two teams) there would be no Aviva games - Leinster are committed to playing 12 home games per season in the RDS, Munster also have a minimum commitment to Irish Independent Park of four games per season.

So thats well over 6 million from the Aviva gone, plus the say, 900k in ticket revenue from TP for the games against those two teams, plus 1.2m from themmuns and 400k from the westies plus whatever revenues Munster, Ulster and Connacht generate on top of tickets.

Then you have to take out the two italian games from the RDS and add in two pretty high profile matches instead - Munster would sell out in the RDS and Wasps in the RDS last year got just over 16.5k, so 500k increase in total revenue there.

Surprisingly little of the corporate stuff happens in the Boxes, and its certainly not limited by their number - its pretty much limited only by how many people you can seat for a dinner - and for a ground like TP or the RDS with on-site dining and plenty of room to put up rigid marquee structures (nevermind neighbouring hotels), that number is huge
I have Bumbleflex
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Ulster would lift around £1 million on the 2 matches, you would have to factor in sponsorship though as at present sponsors get their boards on BBC or Sky for every home match of that dropped by 2 then I assume some would factor that in at renewal
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Going by more reliable sources of rumours something is definitely happening by way of expansion and or conferences this summer, no games same weekends as regular tests too
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/40251712

BBC report, not saying very much really.
Apart from the fact that the Pro12 is chyte compared to the "Prestige" of the English premiership.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

blockhead wrote:http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/40251712

BBC report, not saying very much really.
Apart from the fact that the Pro12 is chyte compared to the "Prestige" of the English premiership.

The premiership is so prestigious that Saracens sacrificed it to win the champions cup.

As for the pro12, lots of South African news sites starting to talk about it now. They seem to think its a done deal.
http://www.rnews.co.za/article/14958/so ... nvolvement
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

None of the rugby correspondents in the national or big provincial papers or their sites are talking about it at all. Did you actually read the very poorly written piece you linked to? Reports about reports quoting the same single BBC Scotland piece as everyone else.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Newport Gwent Dragons are now officially, as of today, Dragons.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:Newport Gwent Dragons are now officially, as of today, Dragons.
a pile of dung by any other name
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Zebre bankrupt. Being taken over by FIR....doesn't say where new Zebre will be
In relation to what has been published in recent days by the national press on the situation of Zebre Rugby, the Rugby Italian Federation intends to point out that the formation of a new company, which will retain the name Zebra, has already been resolved by the Federal Council and will be formalized in next days.

The new Company will be fully part of the Federation with the aim of respecting existing agreements and guaranteeing the participation of two Italian teams at the Guinness PRO12 until 2020.

It is also stated that, in order to ensure the smooth continuation of the relationship with athletes and staff currently active in the franchise, the contacts for the sale of the related contracts to the new entity, fully owned by the FIR, are in the process of being defined.

Therefore, the speculations about the recruitment by foreign companies of athletes under contracts with Zebre Rugby are devoid of any foundation.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

What a mess. Throw them out. They and Treviso have cheapened the league and 'the development of Italian rugby' line is bull, it hasn't happened.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Meh, I'd see this as a positive development. They'll probably be stronger under the Federation and will have more incentive to develop players
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

paddyor wrote:Zebre bankrupt. Being taken over by FIR....doesn't say where new Zebre will be
In relation to what has been published in recent days by the national press on the situation of Zebre Rugby, the Rugby Italian Federation intends to point out that the formation of a new company, which will retain the name Zebra, has already been resolved by the Federal Council and will be formalized in next days.

The new Company will be fully part of the Federation with the aim of respecting existing agreements and guaranteeing the participation of two Italian teams at the Guinness PRO12 until 2020.

It is also stated that, in order to ensure the smooth continuation of the relationship with athletes and staff currently active in the franchise, the contacts for the sale of the related contracts to the new entity, fully owned by the FIR, are in the process of being defined.

Therefore, the speculations about the recruitment by foreign companies of athletes under contracts with Zebre Rugby are devoid of any foundation.
Zebre were already 100% owned by the FIR - had been from the outset. This is merely admin. I'd say they're looking to move the team from Parma.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Treviso were competitive (well good home record) until the chairman threatened to withdraw his funding and all their good players left
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

simonokeeffe wrote:Treviso were competitive (well good home record) until the chairman threatened to withdraw his funding and all their good players left
That was a problem that the FIR were putting more resources and cash into Zebre and just expecting the Benetton family to pay all for Treviso, then the fee to participate added to their grievances so you could see his point, just unfortunately team was wrecked before it was resolved.
There was serious talk of a franchise in Rome with private funding so whether that has come on board or that is chucked out due to the wording of the FIR statement will determine where the franchise stays. At present I would put a small wager on Parma retaining it this year at least.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:
paddyor wrote:Zebre bankrupt. Being taken over by FIR....doesn't say where new Zebre will be

Zebre were already 100% owned by the FIR - had been from the outset. This is merely admin. I'd say they're looking to move the team from Parma.
The chat was Rome with private finance but that statement tends to go against that bit like all things these days money talks and FIR will go where they see best financial gain.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

They should move to Milan, biggest city in the region where rugby is at its most popular
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:They should move to Milan, biggest city in the region where rugby is at its most popular
No were to facilitate them apparently, which seems mad.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

paddyor wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:They should move to Milan, biggest city in the region where rugby is at its most popular

Considering that theres a civic multisports stadium and a velodrome with a pitch inside the track, both in Milan, it is a bit mad alright!
I have Bumbleflex
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

paddyor wrote:
Ulster played a Heineken cup match in Milan, it was near Monza and a soccer ground, I would rate Reggio Emilia a better spot than Milan and it was muted a few years ago, it's a big Rugby region but they struggle with fans as they still relate to their old clubs a bit like the Welsh.