Pro 12 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Lar
Mullet

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Post by Lar »

If I recall correctly Leinster's first ever HEC game was against a team from Milan. No idea where the game took place though.
Four Stars
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

A lot of clubs in and around Milan but most are just club sized grounds with few facilities
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

From Edinburgh Rugby
Following a six-game trial move to Myreside last season, Edinburgh Rugby undertook a period of review with supporters, players, coaches, local residents and other key stakeholders.

With that review now having been concluded, the club is in the process of finalising its plans ahead of next season. As this progresses, we thank supporters for their patience and understanding as we seek to build a successful team on the pitch and deliver a matchday experience that rugby fans in Edinburgh can be proud of.

The club will be in touch directly with supporters once details have been confirmed.
So Myreside wasn't a permanent move then?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

blockhead wrote:From Edinburgh Rugby
Following a six-game trial move to Myreside last season, Edinburgh Rugby undertook a period of review with supporters, players, coaches, local residents and other key stakeholders.

With that review now having been concluded, the club is in the process of finalising its plans ahead of next season. As this progresses, we thank supporters for their patience and understanding as we seek to build a successful team on the pitch and deliver a matchday experience that rugby fans in Edinburgh can be proud of.

The club will be in touch directly with supporters once details have been confirmed.
No, it was only ever a trial.

It would be madness to move back to Murrayfield.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

kermischocolate wrote:
blockhead wrote:From Edinburgh Rugby

No, it was only ever a trial.

It would be madness to move back to Murrayfield.
It's the SRU though we are talking about so I won't be surprised if the stay at Murrayfield
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

PRO14 this season ?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Now you've got us @rooster! Explanation required for the slow Southerners.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Now you've got us @rooster! Explanation required for the slow Southerners.
There appears to be movement on the 2 SA clubs joining this incoming season.
Personally I am a bit sceptical but I heard it from a normally very reliable source.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

No way will it be this season (if it happens at all). Earliest from 2018/2019.

Did anyone else get the survey from the Pro12 about whether they would be prepared to follow their team if it was a long haul away game? That wasnt the main thrust of the survey but it was one of the questions which I thought was interesting.
Four Stars
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

rooster wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Now you've got us @rooster! Explanation required for the slow Southerners.
There appears to be movement on the 2 SA clubs joining this incoming season.
Personally I am a bit sceptical but I heard it from a normally very reliable source.
I just completed recently a online survey from Pro12 and one of the questions that jumped out a me was and I am paraphrasing here "Would you take a long haul flight to attend a Pro12 match?" Might be something to it.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

A 12 hour flight I think and a prety hefty bill to go with that. I think the away turnout will be pretty minimal for those games!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

There are few trips I'd like to make to away games, depending on when they are, for example the Italian games or the SA games if they come in.

However, I don't usually go because they don't nail down the fixture date if it's in the later half of the season, and by the time they've announced it I'm already busy.

Having a static fixture list would very much help with this.
Anyone But New Zealand
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Has been talked about sort of mini tour scenario for the SA matches, play your 2 away matches on consecutive weekends Saturday evening and Friday evening then in peak of America they would be here playing the 4 Irish sides over 4 weeks.
A lot of it theory but it seems like things are moving, anyway we should know by start of next week as clubs sign up deadline for next season is 30th June, 2 Italian sides still in by the way but not confirm where Zebre will be based.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

FLIP wrote:There are few trips I'd like to make to away games, depending on when they are, for example the Italian games or the SA games if they come in.

However, I don't usually go because they don't nail down the fixture date if it's in the later half of the season, and by the time they've announced it I'm already busy.

Both Italian trips are well worth a visit, personally prefer Parma but Treviso is also excellent and a great base of you want a wee day trip to Venice, a few euro and half hour in a train.
Both easily accessible from Dublin
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I think they overestimate how much and how often Irish fans travel
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

rooster wrote:
FLIP wrote:There are few trips I'd like to make to away games, depending on when they are, for example the Italian games or the SA games if they come in.

Both Italian trips are well worth a visit, personally prefer Parma but Treviso is also excellent and a great base of you want a wee day trip to Venice, a few euro and half hour in a train.
Both easily accessible from Dublin
Not so easily accessible from Northampton though. :)
Anyone But New Zealand
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

According to Mark Keohane the Cheetahs and the Southern Kings are joining the Pro12. First time a journalist I trust has 'confirmed' it.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Bit of a trek for SA teams to play in North America :wink:

Worst part will be the Nigels crowing about all SA Super Rugby sides joining EPCR
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Dave Cahill wrote:According to Mark Keohane the Cheetahs and the Southern Kings are joining the Pro12. First time a journalist I trust has 'confirmed' it.
The self same survey mentioned also had a bizarre non-rugby question in it. Your were asked to rate the following airlines: Aer Lingus; British Airways; KLM; and Turkish Airlines. The latter three do long haul to SA....
Four Stars
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Has there been any further news on this SA expansion? Seems to have been quiet since last night.