Pro 12 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Post by neill_m »

johng wrote:My guess at the structure of the comp is this.

There are 3 requirements if you have 2 conferences of 7.

1/ 22 rounds of competition + semi and final.

2/ A way of ranking teams in order 1 to 14 for Euro qualification etc.

3/ A full schedule of derby games for each country.

So....

Conferences split with half of each country's teams in each one.

Play each team in your conference home and away = 12 games

Play the other conference's teams home OR away = 7 games

Play the other team(s) from your country in the other conference once (for Wales and Ireland) or twice (for the rest) more = 2 games

That gives you a 21 game season.

BUT.

To rank all teams there would be a further round at the end where the top 6 play off (either French style or Rugby League style) and the other 8 play off for position. i.e 4th plays 4th for 7th place. 5th plays 5th for 9th place etc.

Works for me.
Agree on the 21 game regular season. With 7 spots in the European Cup, a playoff is needed between the 2 4th placed sides - with team with higher points having home advantage. In terms of the playoffs, the 2 conference winners go straight to the semi final. The one with higher points would be Top Seed and play winner of 4th/5th game (worse 2nd v better 3rd). Seed no 2 would play winner of 3rd/6th (better 2nd v worse 3rd) etc.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Do the SA teams count in the eyes of the ercc? And if so what effect does this have on the tv money that is currently split 4 ways between the p12 union members?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote:Do the SA teams count in the eyes of the ercc?
Don't see how they could. Having said that I believe Israel and Australia are in the Eurovision.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

If the saffers dont play in Europe next season theyve an unfair advantage of 6 extra rest weekends on top of 6n off for all their players. Plus heat/altitude

This season theyre back to back as alluded before
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:
Don't see how they could. Having said that I believe Israel and Australia are in the Eurovision.
So in calculating european qualification, does one merely exclude them from the finishing table or recalculate table positions by discounting the results against SA teams?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

That would be an ecumenical matter
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Peg Leg wrote:
johng wrote:
So in calculating european qualification, does one merely exclude them from the finishing table or recalculate table positions by discounting the results against SA teams?
I see multiple threats of court cases in the future won by.... Let me see.... Whoever the TV money wants to win in the settlement no matter the rights, wrongs, or contracts involved.

It's the way the Nigels would have wanted it. Unless it's not them. In which case karma kicks like a muthafucka but smells sweet as success.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

johng wrote:
Why not though as from this season it is top teams irrespective of country that qualify and the places are for members of Celtic Rugby who run our league
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Glasgow have sold out their season ticket allocation, (4,500), for the first time.
How are we doing?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

We've sold almost 100 in the last 3 weeks
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

To pass last year's total.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Think they'd have to be excluded from Europe. Otherwise you've to jetison the 2 smaller teams in the challenge cup or reorganize it and add 2 more.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

blockhead wrote:Glasgow have sold out their season ticket allocation, (4,500), for the first time.
How are we doing?
We've sold two and a half times that number
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

paddyor wrote:Think they'd have to be excluded from Europe. Otherwise you've to jetison the 2 smaller teams in the challenge cup or reorganize it and add 2 more.
Make European Cup 24 teams again. Celtafricans get 2 extra teams, Prem and T14 one each.
The Nigels would love the Bok teams for tv$ to the point of guaranteeing their places
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

cormac wrote:
blockhead wrote:Glasgow have sold out their season ticket allocation, (4,500), for the first time.
How are we doing?
We've sold two and a half times that number
Which is because you have a stadium big enough to do so. We don't.

Given a chance we could easily sell 10k tickets each week and 15k for bigger games. Ironically Glasgow simply doesn't have a stadium of that size. Which is becoming a massive problem for us.

p.s. we sold the same number last season but only after increasing capacity.
GavinSydney
Beginner

Post by GavinSydney »

Such a short-sighted cash-grab. Have they learned nothing from the calamity of Super Rugby?

Also, getting cosy with South African rugby is a dangerous game. Whatever they say about European competition now, you can rest assured they will change their tune soon enough.

Integrate South Africa into the European system or leave well-enough alone.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

GavinSydney wrote:Such a short-sighted cash-grab. Have they learned nothing from the calamity of Super Rugby?

Also, getting cosy with South African rugby is a dangerous game. Whatever they say about European competition now, you can rest assured they will change their tune soon enough.

Integrate South Africa into the European system or leave well-enough alone.
Different problems between Super Rugby and Pro12.

However, point taken and I hope that the new arrangement is for a specified trial period with stated KPI's to be achieved for continuation e.g.
a) minimum home gates;
b) minimum TV contract value;
c) maximum number of consequtive away games;
d) minimum level of competitveness i.e. if last in successive years, franchise must be subject of external review.

Ideally, I would also like to see introduction of a limited Draft system, e.g. to exclude players graduating from Club Academies; maximum number of non-national qualified players on pich at any time; two weekends dedicated to National, double-header, derby games, possibly New Year and Easter; elimination of Sunday kick-offs post 2.30 p.m.;

Overall, my central theme is that there should be defined measurements of success and failure and Pro12 should not be afraid to impose them rigidly, rather than let Clubs "exist" but not prosper, like the Italians. The primary element is playing success.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Welsh press going for 2 conferences with 2 Irish, 2 Welsh and 1 side from other countries, at the same time they want an expanded Anglo Welsh cup to get more matches.
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

We could establish a 26 team league with Aviva Prem + Pro12 + 2 SA
Make it a three division structure of 8, 8 and 10 teams.
Div1 8 clubs clubs that made the play offs last year,
Div 2 consists of the other three EPRCC qualifiers from Pro12 + 5 next Aviva Premiership Teams
Div 3 of 5 remaining pro12, 3 AP and 2 SA teams

Promotion and relegation between the leagues each year.

This produces only 14 games in Div 1 and 2 and 18 in Div 3......

So we add crossdivision fixtures...
Div 1 teams also play 4 matches against Div 2 and 5 against Div 3
Div 2 teams play 4 vs Div 1 and 5 against Div 3
Div 3 play 4 vs Div 1 and 4 vs Div 1

This creates a 23 match season for Div 1 and 2
Div 3 teams require 26 matches, however the Challange cup groups can be devised so that 5 (or 4 if SA not involved) pairs of teams from the division can count the matches vs each other in both the league and challange cup group stages. Double counted double header solution reduces the need down to 24 games

The cross division fixtures are chosen by the home clubs to maximise derby matches - English Westcountry Teams choose to play each other, Welsh vs Welsh, Irish vs Irish

This creates a league with every home match is against a team equal in standing or chosen by the club.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

rooster wrote:Welsh press going for 2 conferences with 2 Irish, 2 Welsh and 1 side from other countries, at the same time they want an expanded Anglo Welsh cup to get more matches.

FFS
Any other nation thatd be posturing but the Welsh are that dumb theyd think thats feasible and a good idea
Between league, Europe, B & I, internationals, existing AWC theres enough for them to complaining about squad size, budgets, and other teams resting playrrs