Pro 12 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby Dave Cahill » July 20th, 2017, 9:59 am

offshorerules wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:I would be stunned beyond belief if any organisation Leinster's size didn't have a marketing manager - it would be simply astonishing. Whatever about the individuals in the roles, the roles themselves are a vital component of any commercial organisation


They do as far as I know.
Sorry, that was in response to the suggestion that they were doing away with the role entirely
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 20620
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby neill_m » July 20th, 2017, 10:27 am

faceman wrote:Hadn't seen anything about playing the two Irish teams in the other conference home & away! Where did you see that stated?
I'd seen the opposite http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/gbrenn ... l-derbies/

Problem is until they actually announce the new format we're all in the dark


Pundit Arena....... :roll: Not the most reliable source.

https://twitter.com/simonrug/status/887330387919286272

Welsh rugby journalist - useful guy to follow for the latest info.
neill_m
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 334
Joined: May 1st, 2014, 12:39 pm

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby kermischocolate » July 20th, 2017, 11:18 am

Dave Cahill wrote:Leinster will play the remaining 5 teams in the other conference home or away on alternate years, that means at worst a further two home games bringing the total to 10 or 11 depending on the season.


Unless you keep the teams in each conference the same each year, how do you ensure the number of home games evens out for each club each year though?
User avatar
kermischocolate
Enlightened
 
Posts: 985
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 2:56 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby blockhead » July 20th, 2017, 12:25 pm

Betway odds for Guinness Pro12 winner:
Leinester 15/8;
Munster 3/1;
Scarlets 11/2;
Cheetahs 11/1;
Glasgow 11/1;
Ospreys 11/1;
Ulster 11/1;
Southern Kings 14/1;
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3949
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby jimbobjoe » July 20th, 2017, 1:27 pm

It's possible the delay is waiting to see if there'll be one or two Italian teams next season. The rumours of Zebre players not getting paid for the last couple of months cannot help planning a structure and schedule.
I'll die before I surrender, Tim.
User avatar
jimbobjoe
Enlightened
 
Posts: 891
Joined: September 16th, 2009, 9:23 pm

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby wixfjord » July 20th, 2017, 2:00 pm

What possible logic is there to have the Cheetahs as fourth favourites to win a Pro12?

They'll be battling with Embra, Dragons, Connacht and Cardiff for a mid table spot at best.

As for the Kings :lol:
wixfjord
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3100
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby neill_m » July 20th, 2017, 3:46 pm

wixfjord wrote:What possible logic is there to have the Cheetahs as fourth favourites to win a Pro12?

They'll be battling with Embra, Dragons, Connacht and Cardiff for a mid table spot at best.

As for the Kings :lol:


The Kings finished above the Cheetahs this year in Super Rugby. 11th 28 points v 13th 21 points. Both finished above the Bulls who were 15th with 20 points. Mid table seems a reasonable target for both sides. To put some balance on this the Cheetahs had to play v the NZ sides this year with the Kings playing v the Aussie sides. When this was reversed last year, the Cheetahs were 14th with 21 points and the Kings 17th with 9 points.

The Bulls in 2016 played v the Aussie sides and got 42 points over the season, missing the playoffs by 1 point. Compare that with their efforts this year.
neill_m
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 334
Joined: May 1st, 2014, 12:39 pm

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby Grumpy Old Man » July 20th, 2017, 6:17 pm

It's not just the number of games though, it's the quality. We may not see Glasgow Scarlets or Ospreys in the RDS because they may be in the other conference and they are our away games. I have no problem with the expansion but am really against a Conference.
A proud Winsome Fluter
User avatar
Grumpy Old Man
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 6521
Joined: February 22nd, 2006, 4:22 pm
Location: Home for the Slightly Bewildered

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby Peg Leg » July 20th, 2017, 6:48 pm

Grumpy Old Man wrote:It's not just the number of games though, it's the quality. We may not see Glasgow Scarlets or Ospreys in the RDS because they may be in the other conference and they are our away games. I have no problem with the expansion but am really against a Conference.
Plus one
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8065
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » July 20th, 2017, 11:20 pm

Hadn't thought about this until now but how weird will it be when the SA teams play each other? Nobody over here will give a shit.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 10365
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby rooster » July 21st, 2017, 4:33 am

Peg Leg wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:It's not just the number of games though, it's the quality. We may not see Glasgow Scarlets or Ospreys in the RDS because they may be in the other conference and they are our away games. I have no problem with the expansion but am really against a Conference.
Plus one
Count me in along with the hen and we both reckon conference system is a mess.
The non conference interpro matches will be a non event unless IRFU take them seriously, feck if there is one thing we love about our old league is the day trips to Dublin and Limerick and the weekends in Galway, Parma and Treviso.
User avatar
rooster
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2878
Joined: July 22nd, 2006, 4:45 pm

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby TerenureJim » July 21st, 2017, 8:21 am

rooster wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:It's not just the number of games though, it's the quality. We may not see Glasgow Scarlets or Ospreys in the RDS because they may be in the other conference and they are our away games. I have no problem with the expansion but am really against a Conference.
Plus one
Count me in along with the hen and we both reckon conference system is a mess.
The non conference interpro matches will be a non event unless IRFU take them seriously, feck if there is one thing we love about our old league is the day trips to Dublin and Limerick and the weekends in Galway, Parma and Treviso.


Having made the interpros on a par with HEC in terms of quality generally I can't see how the IRFU would allow them to be split, the interpros are the biggest games in the league if they go the league but especially the provinces and the paying fans suffer
User avatar
TerenureJim
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 4973
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 10:09 am

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby enby » July 21st, 2017, 9:03 am

The addition of the two SA teams seems to be an act of madness on so many fronts. The only marginal advantage that I can identify is a little bit of exposure to SA conditions for some players. The promised slew of funds will only be believed when lodged in the bank.

Leaving aside the foolish and potentially devastating conference idea, what benefit will the existing clubs get from this change? I can just imagine the scenario: Leinster have a crucial European game coming up and the internationals are just back from bruising AIs or 6N. Leo wants, as is the norm, to play them in the Pro12/14 the week before the ECC match but it is an away match at altitude in Bloemfontein with a 3 flight God knows how long journey there and back.

When this experiment eventually fails, and it (to adopt GT's favourite word) assuredly will, the League's credibility will suffer a massive blow.
enby
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 444
Joined: May 20th, 2011, 3:57 pm

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby Laighin Break » July 21st, 2017, 9:08 am

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Hadn't thought about this until now but how weird will it be when the SA teams play each other? Nobody over here will give a shit.


Similar to when the Italian teams play each other.
Laighin Break
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 451
Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 9:35 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby Peg Leg » July 21st, 2017, 10:05 am

Laighin Break wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Hadn't thought about this until now but how weird will it be when the SA teams play each other? Nobody over here will give a shit.


Similar to when the Italian teams play each other.
Which usually merits a quick thought as to who Newport will be duking it out for 10th.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8065
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby Grumpy Old Man » July 21st, 2017, 11:24 am

Laighin Break wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Hadn't thought about this until now but how weird will it be when the SA teams play each other? Nobody over here will give a shit.


Similar to when the Italian teams play each other.


Or Cardiff playing Dragons.
A proud Winsome Fluter
User avatar
Grumpy Old Man
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 6521
Joined: February 22nd, 2006, 4:22 pm
Location: Home for the Slightly Bewildered

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby Edna Kenny » July 21st, 2017, 12:25 pm

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Hadn't thought about this until now but how weird will it be when the SA teams play each other? Nobody over here will give a shit.


Similar to when the Italian teams play each other.


Or Cardiff playing Dragons.


The "Catalan Dragons" as they were referred to in todays Times article about the league being contrived.
Edna Kenny
Graduate
 
Posts: 560
Joined: May 18th, 2007, 9:54 am

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby rooster » July 21st, 2017, 4:42 pm

TerenureJim wrote:
rooster wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:[quote="Grumpy Old Man"]It's not just the number of games though, it's the quality. We may not see Glasgow Scarlets or Ospreys in the RDS because they may be in the other conference and they are our away games. I have no problem with the expansion but am really against a Conference.
Plus one
Count me in along with the hen and we both reckon conference system is a mess.
The non conference interpro matches will be a non event unless IRFU take them seriously, feck if there is one thing we love about our old league is the day trips to Dublin and Limerick and the weekends in Galway, Parma and Treviso.


Having made the interpros on a par with HEC in terms of quality generally I can't see how the IRFU would allow them to be split, the interpros are the biggest games in the league if they go the league but especially the provinces and the paying fans suffer[/quote]If some of the matches don't contribute to league points do you honestly see the teams taking those matches seriously ? You can hype it up all you like but they will just be another friendly
User avatar
rooster
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2878
Joined: July 22nd, 2006, 4:45 pm

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby The Doc » July 21st, 2017, 6:12 pm

rooster wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
rooster wrote:[quote="Peg Leg"][quote="Grumpy Old Man"]It's not just the number of games though, it's the quality. We may not see Glasgow Scarlets or Ospreys in the RDS because they may be in the other conference and they are our away games. I have no problem with the expansion but am really against a Conference.
Plus one
Count me in along with the hen and we both reckon conference system is a mess.
The non conference interpro matches will be a non event unless IRFU take them seriously, feck if there is one thing we love about our old league is the day trips to Dublin and Limerick and the weekends in Galway, Parma and Treviso.


Having made the interpros on a par with HEC in terms of quality generally I can't see how the IRFU would allow them to be split, the interpros are the biggest games in the league if they go the league but especially the provinces and the paying fans suffer[/quote]If some of the matches don't contribute to league points do you honestly see the teams taking those matches seriously ? You can hype it up all you like but they will just be another friendly[/quote]I don't think there is any suggestion the interpros will have no league points... 21 games all part of league points.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
The Doc
Mullet
 
Posts: 1502
Joined: August 11th, 2006, 2:59 pm
Location: Location Location

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Postby rooster » July 21st, 2017, 7:02 pm

To include all the extra interpro matches for league points then the Scots, Saffers and Italians will be sick looking at each other making up the same number !
User avatar
rooster
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2878
Joined: July 22nd, 2006, 4:45 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest