Welsh Regions leaving the Pro 12

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Welsh Regions leaving the Pro 12

Post by dropkick »

I's say its only a small section of Welsh fans that are bitter. Most Welsh are not happy about how the game is run and the mess made in setting up the regions. I wouldn't blame them for that. What we also need to remember is the relative success of the Irish makes the regions look even worse!

Ironically rugby including the Pro 12 probably gets way more attention in Wales in their media. RTE have little interest outside the glamour games (what would we do without TG4?!) but in Wales its on BBC, S4C and they've highlights programs, scrum v etc. Not only RTE but newstalk for example have one or two rugby slots per week which interupts their soccer (soccer and GAA in summer) coverage and the odd bland interview of players who regurgitate the same talk the last player did. I suppose thats another topic.

At the end of the day the negativity in Wales is damaging Welsh rugby the most. The regions should be scraped and proper regions created. A fresh start for all. Easier said than done though. Cardiff rugby club were one of the biggest stumbling blocks to creating a proper region and they alienated a lot of fans outside Cardiff.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

dropkick wrote:....Ironically rugby including the Pro 12 probably gets way more attention in Wales in their media. RTE have little interest outside the glamour games (what would we do without TG4?!) but in Wales its on BBC, S4C and they've highlights programs, scrum v etc. Not only RTE but newstalk for example have one or two rugby slots per week which interupts their soccer (soccer and GAA in summer) coverage and the odd bland interview of players who regurgitate the same talk the last player did. I suppose thats another topic.....
That's actually a very good point. If they hate it so much then why are S4C shelling out so much for it and why is there so much coverage of it. I suppose part of the answer is rugby is the only sport that S4C would get any access to whereas here RTEs sports department has to cover Soccer and GAA too. All the same you'd have to think they are getting justifiable viewing figures for it.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

I think it is quite likely there will be moves towards a B&I league in the next 5 years or so (basically a combined AP and Pro12)

Potentially the approach may come from the AP if, after a few years, it becomes apparent that the likes of Saracens aren't going to become the next Man U or Chelsea and the majority of AP teams are still barely managing to keep their head above water. Bringing in the Irish provinces and the best of the other Pro12 teams has the potential to create an overall more valuable competition than the AP and Pro12 separately. Unfortunately I can see the Italians being ditched.

If there is a new competition, I could see if having a conference structure like some US sports, with games between teams in the same and the other conference. The trouble with divisions, promotion and relegation is it will reduce derby fixtures, and these are the most lucrative games of the year for the celtic teams in particular.
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

mikerob wrote:I think it is quite likely there will be moves towards a B&I league in the next 5 years or so (basically a combined AP and Pro12)

Potentially the approach may come from the AP if, after a few years, it becomes apparent that the likes of Saracens aren't going to become the next Man U or Chelsea and the majority of AP teams are still barely managing to keep their head above water. Bringing in the Irish provinces and the best of the other Pro12 teams has the potential to create an overall more valuable competition than the AP and Pro12 separately. Unfortunately I can see the Italians being ditched.

If there is a new competition, I could see if having a conference structure like some US sports, with games between teams in the same and the other conference. The trouble with divisions, promotion and relegation is it will reduce derby fixtures, and these are the most lucrative games of the year for the celtic teams in particular.
I would be interested in your opinion of a combined 24 team format with top, middle and bottom 8 subdivisions each team playing home and away fixtures inside the subdivision + 6 games against each of the other subdivisions. the 6 of 8 games against other subdivisions would be chosen to maximise derbies. 26 games in all with a good mix of derby and closely matched teams. I know you can do your own sums from other threads but for 4 team countries a 1,1,2 gives 3,3,4 derby games, and 0,1,3 spread across subdivisions gives a 3, 5, 5 derby matches. I would leave the AP options to you but a 4,4,4 gives 14 each and 1,3,8 gives 9, 11, 17 averaging 13 each. I think I could give more pros than cons for everyone. still can have double headers and christmas fixtures (except scotland)
Couple this with a removal of the seperation of same B&I country fixtures in ecrc and you can see an exciting format. I think that a combined format removes the need to favour the ap vs pro12 euro match up
how we could get the blazers, TV and owners to agree is another problem
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

For all their bluster and bullshit about wanting a more competitive league with Euro qualification (at the behest of their English masters) the Welsh have already shown they don't give a sh!t again this year.

But don't be fooled that if they were in the Premiership, they'd be firing on all guns. That's the last thing their players want because then, they'd have no excuse for not trying anymore.

Whereas top Ireland players see their "job" as playing for Leinster/Munster/Ulster/Connacht with Ireland a bonus on top of that, the top Welsh players see their "job" as playing for Wales. As part of that "job" they are occasionally required to run out for other teams with other non-red jerseys to presumably keep their fitness up (i.e. keep them out of the pub). And most of them complete their contractual duty with the minimum of effort and probably enquire what the score was in the bar afterwards.

So why on earth would they want to play in a league where the fans would demand they actually make an effort every week? Welsh players love the Pro12
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

paddyor wrote:
dropkick wrote:....Ironically rugby including the Pro 12 probably gets way more attention in Wales in their media. RTE have little interest outside the glamour games (what would we do without TG4?!) but in Wales its on BBC, S4C and they've highlights programs, scrum v etc. Not only RTE but newstalk for example have one or two rugby slots per week which interupts their soccer (soccer and GAA in summer) coverage and the odd bland interview of players who regurgitate the same talk the last player did. I suppose thats another topic.....
That's actually a very good point. If they hate it so much then why are S4C shelling out so much for it and why is there so much coverage of it. I suppose part of the answer is rugby is the only sport that S4C would get any access to whereas here RTEs sports department has to cover Soccer and GAA too. All the same you'd have to think they are getting justifiable viewing figures for it.
I wonder how many people outside Wales watch the matches on S4C, might be that most viewers are actually in Ireland and England !
superlamps008
Beginner

Post by superlamps008 »

Cheers for that.

Can see maybe its more a Cardiff thing than the rest of them, but still a pain for u, hence why I wonder what contingency plan the IRFU would have (and would love the SA teams)

Also on a side note, that fans forum thing looks like a very good idea!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Cardiff are not and never will be a region, how can they claim to be.

They have Cardiff in the title, they play in the Cardiff kit and play every game in Cardiff.

They and their fans have an ego unmatched (even by the 1 eyed turks down in Llanelli)

If the pro 12 / Aviva does merge in the future they will not be anywhere the top flight division
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa_gZ_7sdZg

Stick with it till the end. Very funny.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!