European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Post by simonokeeffe »

paddyor wrote:
jezzer wrote:Racing-Glasgow is a mazy, crazy and slightly hazy wild sort of a game. Very easy watching. Half an hour in and the Weegies should really win this. Racing have turned on Harlem Globetrotter mode and are just flinging it around without much interest in the basics of the game.
The commentator was saying that kicking just isnt in the Racing arsenal so they had to run it. It was mad, given they jad Glasgow in the LO cf Hogg trying the peno from his own half.

Very impressive defensive ffort from Glasgow, need to fix the LO to have any chance next week.
If they cant kick with ROG as their backs coach...
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

simonokeeffe wrote:
paddyor wrote:
jezzer wrote:Racing-Glasgow is a mazy, crazy and slightly hazy wild sort of a game. Very easy watching. Half an hour in and the Weegies should really win this. Racing have turned on Harlem Globetrotter mode and are just flinging it around without much interest in the basics of the game.
The commentator was saying that kicking just isnt in the Racing arsenal so they had to run it. It was mad, given they jad Glasgow in the LO cf Hogg trying the peno from his own half.

Very impressive defensive ffort from Glasgow, need to fix the LO to have any chance next week.

If they cant kick with ROG as their backs coach...
And Machenaud / Carter as your half backs? ???
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The European Champions Cup is definitely much improved.
The change in qualification process has resulted in a much more competitive PRO12 with teams playing a higher tempo, more skilful brand of rugby.
This improvement in PRO12 standards is filtering into and raising standards in the Champions Cup.
The law of unintended consequences has, instead of damaging the PRO12, made it a much better league.
Ultimately the TV companies are going to want a piece of the action and perhaps even the Welsh will realise where their future lies.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

@Jezzer maybe they overcommitted to a rope a dope

@oldschool pro12 success/standard in Europe getting a bounce from less teams in it, so Cardiff and Edinburgh playing disinterested teams in Challenge cup instead of getting spanked by teams playing in a competition they want to be in. Plus you have Leinster and Munster with new coaches, work Lam has done with Connacht; IMO role of meritocracy in Pro12 qualification is overplayed/can be taken any way that suits
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oldschool wrote:The European Champions Cup is definitely much improved.
The change in qualification process has resulted in a much more competitive PRO12 with teams playing a higher tempo, more skilful brand of rugby.
This improvement in PRO12 standards is filtering into and raising standards in the Champions Cup.
The law of unintended consequences has, instead of damaging the PRO12, made it a much better league.
Ultimately the TV companies are going to want a piece of the action and perhaps even the Welsh will realise where their future lies.
Hope you're right @Oldschool and would be delighted if you were. @simonokeeffe attributes some impact to Prem Teams disinterest in Challenge Cup (Bath et al). But looking at Ospreys away result against Grenoble and Warriors away to Racing92 is fairly clear evidence of improved performance as NO French team ever surrenders at home without a fight.

However, it's your last sentence that intrigues me. Apart from the original trail-blazing NFL coverage on Channel Four, I cannot remember any TV sports coverage which successfully sold into a foreign mainstream audience, in opposition to a home-based comparable sport. IMO, no improvement in quality will sell Pro12 to English mainstream audiences in opposition to Premiership.

However, if Pro12 teams can success in EPCR competition with regularity, I could see Aviva Premiership being more open to discuss amalgamation of Leagues into a Conference based 24 team competition to compete for International audience, including Top14 sponsors.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Oldschool wrote:The European Champions Cup is definitely much improved.
Hope you're right @Oldschool and would be delighted if you were. @simonokeeffe attributes some impact to Prem Teams disinterest in Challenge Cup (Bath et al). But looking at Ospreys away result against Grenoble and Warriors away to Racing92 is fairly clear evidence of improved performance as NO French team ever surrenders at home without a fight.

However, it's your last sentence that intrigues me. Apart from the original trail-blazing NFL coverage on Channel Four, I cannot remember any TV sports coverage which successfully sold into a foreign mainstream audience, in opposition to a home-based comparable sport. IMO, no improvement in quality will sell Pro12 to English mainstream audiences in opposition to Premiership.

However, if Pro12 teams can success in EPCR competition with regularity, I could see Aviva Premiership being more open to discuss amalgamation of Leagues into a Conference based 24 team competition to compete for International audience, including Top14 sponsors.
Your conclusion (the only available end game for Celtalian professional rugby), gives me the warm and fuzzies.

EDIT: I think that move would force the French to take the Italians or that the Italian's would create a domestic league (FIR has the money to do support this)
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Grenoble have long given up trying at home in challenge cup, just look at their results
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote: Your conclusion (the only available end game for Celtalian professional rugby), gives me the warm and fuzzies.
I never knew you were Welsh. Jaysus you lost the accent quick enough. :o
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

3 weeks for Cubby Davies
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Pape gets a warning for a dive v edinburgh
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Race for home quarter final is serious.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Fan with smartphone wrote:Race for home quarter final is serious.
Bigtime

Sarries and Wasps seem like dead certs
We probably will
Clermont probably will
Possibly Munster/Glasgow to get the away qf
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Are Castres about to fold ?. Cas 9 Mon 10 at the moment .
Flying wedge
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

footrush wrote:Are Castres about to fold ?. Cas 9 Mon 10 at the moment .
Yes Try Castres !. They seem to be up for it ......... but then ....... How did I ever doubt them !.
Flying wedge
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Castres No 6 is an extraordinary line-out operattor on opposition ball. Must have had 5 turnovers.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Montpellier seem to have developed a gra for red cards
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

7 weeks ban to Falgoux for a gouging that has never happened.

EPCR is really shitfull.

Au revoir.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

VGE wrote:7 weeks ban to Falgoux for a gouging that has never happened.

EPCR is really shitfull.

Au revoir.
Less Falgoux, more Fallguy . . ..
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

Thank you lad, I have learnt one more english word.

Au revoir.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

VGE wrote:7 weeks ban to Falgoux for a gouging that has never happened.

EPCR is really shitfull.

Au revoir.
I thought it was pretty harsh as it looked accidental from the public video and I'm an Ulster fan, the return comments about Best though do nothing for the integrity of Clermont but as you say why one but not the other.