European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Post by blockhead »

blockhead wrote:Hartley, Nathan Hughes and Marler cited.
Hughes-2weeks, Marler-3weeks, Harlety-case dismissed.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Just so you know, EPCR are doing a great job.

http://www.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbych ... n2rW6hl9Pa
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

BlueBlue wrote:Just so you know, EPCR are doing a great job.

Higher tax rate there, then again when you struggle to get sponsors you don't make any taxable income
Sionnach
Bookworm

Post by Sionnach »

BlueBlue wrote:Just so you know, EPCR are doing a great job.

Lausanne is exempt from Swiss anticorruption laws. Also headquarters of the IOC.

More details of why sports federations often house themselves in Lausanne:
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/23/spor ... ruits.html
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Full article behind paywall but Torygraph says TV3 &CH4 will be showing live games, at least one each per round, next season
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: European Champions Cup [Not Improved]

Post by Oldschool »

You'd wonder how much this move is costing and why it wasn't done in the first place, when HQ was moved from Dublin to Switzerland.
You'd wonder abiut exchange rate costs too.
You'd also wonder about the lease and associated costs.
Have the EPCR made a profit ever and how much.
I think the "much improved " should be removed from the thread headibg too.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

simonokeeffe wrote:Full article behind paywall but Torygraph says TV3 &CH4 will be showing live games, at least one each per round, next season
Hopefully not the same match.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

cormac wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Full article behind paywall but Torygraph says TV3 &CH4 will be showing live games, at least one each per round, next season
Hopefully not the same match.
they are just evil enough to do that

one good thing about Ulster not qualifying probably means we wont get their crappy games :)
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

I think it's safe to assume that any big games will only be live on the pay channels.
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

simonokeeffe wrote:
one good thing about Ulster not qualifying probably means we wont get their crappy games :)
Your comment prompted me to check the qualification rules. I think this could easily turn into a bit of a mess:
http://www.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbych ... /index.php

For the Pro14, the top three in each conference qualify automatically, and the last place is decided by a play-off between the fourth place teams in each conference. Fine so far.

But, South African teams aren't counted, so presuming The Cheetahs finish in the top three in Conference A, fourth place (currently Cardiff) would go through automatically.

So, the play-off would be between the fifth place team in Conference A (currently Connacht) and the fourth place in Conference B (Ulster/Edinburgh). I suppose...

But, there's also the qualification route via the Challenge Cup - essentially the best performing team not already qualified. So you could have Connacht or Cardiff qualifying directly from that. Or they could be involved in the play-off between the losing semi-finalists that is specifically mentioned in the qualification rules.

So that means that the Pro14 play-off could be between sixth place in Conference A (currently Ospreys) and Ulster/Edinburgh.
Or, Cardiff/ Connacht could be eligible for two play-offs (Pro14 and Challenge Cup semi-finalists).

I presume the EPCR have thought of all this and have a well-thought out plan in place for all eventualities. Or else they'll just say fourth place in Conference B goes straight through. SUFTUM!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Theres some reason posited too why EPCR dont want SA teams in there too or am I misremembering a post?

Ideally all 4 get in but Leinster and Munster will be kept by BT for themselves
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

simonokeeffe wrote:Theres some reason posited too why EPCR dont want SA teams in there too or am I misremembering a post?

Last I read, there will be talks in the summer with the aim of the South Africans being eligible to qualify from 2018/19 and entering it from 2019/20.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Made Of Ale wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Your comment prompted me to check the qualification rules. I think this could easily turn into a bit of a mess:
http://www.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbych ... /index.php

For the Pro14, the top three in each conference qualify automatically, and the last place is decided by a play-off between the fourth place teams in each conference. Fine so far.

But, South African teams aren't counted, so presuming The Cheetahs finish in the top three in Conference A, fourth place (currently Cardiff) would go through automatically.

So, the play-off would be between the fifth place team in Conference A (currently Connacht) and the fourth place in Conference B (Ulster/Edinburgh). I suppose...

But, there's also the qualification route via the Challenge Cup - essentially the best performing team not already qualified. So you could have Connacht or Cardiff qualifying directly from that. Or they could be involved in the play-off between the losing semi-finalists that is specifically mentioned in the qualification rules.

So that means that the Pro14 play-off could be between sixth place in Conference A (currently Ospreys) and Ulster/Edinburgh.
Or, Cardiff/ Connacht could be eligible for two play-offs (Pro14 and Challenge Cup semi-finalists).

I presume the EPCR have thought of all this and have a well-thought out plan in place for all eventualities. Or else they'll just say fourth place in Conference B goes straight through. SUFTUM!
I asked the Pro 14 when their playoff would be and got the usual wall of silence.

The 20th Euro place will go to:

i) Champions Cup winner, if not already qualified - Clermont/La Rochelle currently outside the Euro spots via the T14
ii) Challenge Cup winner, if not already qualified - Brive, Stade and Connacht currently outside the Euro spots
iii) Challenge Cup losing finalist, if not already qualified - Brive, Stade and Connacht currently outside the Euro spots
iv) Play-off match between the losing Challenge Cup semi-finalists, if not already qualified - Brive, Stade and Connacht currently outside the Euro spots
v) Highest ranked non-qualified club by virtue of league position from the same league as the Champions Cup winner
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neill_m wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Theres some reason posited too why EPCR dont want SA teams in there too or am I misremembering a post?

Last I read, there will be talks in the summer with the aim of the South Africans being eligible to qualify from 2018/19 and entering it from 2019/20.
Thanks. Youd think sponsors, sorry tournament partners, would be foaming at the mouth over getting SA in too. TV companies too

Only downside is away games would be a pain in the ass and thered have to be sympathetic fixture scheduling. Can see French sides sending espoirs and English clubs blaming it for anything that goes wrong in their season
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:
neill_m wrote:

Thanks. Youd think sponsors, sorry tournament partners, would be foaming at the mouth over getting SA in too. TV companies too

Only downside is away games would be a pain in the ass and thered have to be sympathetic fixture scheduling. Can see French sides sending espoirs and English clubs blaming it for anything that goes wrong in their season
T14 and middlingship blame pro14 shocker
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Made Of Ale wrote: I presume the EPCR have thought of all this and have a well-thought out plan in place for all eventualities. Or else they'll just say fourth place in Conference B goes straight through. SUFTUM!
Hahahahahahahahahaha :shock:
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

In the group stages they might get some 'ordinary' games but apparently they are guaranteed at least one live match per knock out round also. That means one of the quarters and one of the semis both of which would presumably be tasty enough. BT apparently happy to do it in order to increase the profile and visibility of the competition overall (seeing as EPCR are so cr@p at promoting it and lousy at getting major sponsors).
Four Stars
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I wonder will Channel 4 have to geolock their coverage as there is a seperate Irish rights holder
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:I wonder will Channel 4 have to geolock their coverage as there is a seperate Irish rights holder
They've done that before with TV shows so I'd imagine they will.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:I wonder will Channel 4 have to geolock their coverage as there is a seperate Irish rights holder
They've done that before with TV shows so I'd imagine they will.
Hope not

Thankfully they dont have as many regional variations as BBC 1 or 2