European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Post by simonokeeffe »

leinsterforever wrote:Whatever about the 2013 Challenge Cup win, if we were in the competition from the start now I think it would be better to save the Internationals' minutes for the Pro12.
Last thing we want is them having to go to Siberia
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:So the only personnel change in the backs was O'Driscoll for Rob Kearney. More changes in the forwards, Healy was the leading 1 back then, Strauss started the big matches, Leo for Quinn Roux. Was SOB injured in the Challange Cup final?
I'm pretty sure Rob Kearney was originally selected for the Pro12 final but tweaked something in the warm-up. Conway was called up to start with Dave Kearney replacing him on the bench.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

There was a Heineken Cup game a few years ago that involved a French team breaking through and deliberately running back from the try line - can't remember who was involved!

Whatever the competition, it's a bit much to sell your fans tickets knowing full well that you can't be arsed.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Don't forget the 2013 challenge cup gave us an extra place in the following year's Heineken
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
wprathead
Bookworm

Post by wprathead »

ribs wrote:Don't forget the 2013 challenge cup gave us an extra place in the following year's Heineken
Connacht Remembers :)
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

wprathead wrote:
ribs wrote:Don't forget the 2013 challenge cup gave us an extra place in the following year's Heineken
Connacht Remembers :)
We got them into Europe what 4 times? And then they go and beat us in the league final, ingrates
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Zebre conceded 134 points in 2 games after their 7-52 home defeat to Connacht at the weekend. These guys aren't competitive in the Pro-12 they shouldn't be anywhere need the Champions Cup! Worse still, with the best 3 2nd placed team qualification system they actually distort the qualification system.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ire - 75%
Fr - 54%
Scot- 50%
Wal -50%
Eng - 46%
It - 0%

A weekend of European rugby. Not bad, if Leinster are least successful Irish performers by results. Take out the Italians and its a pretty good weekend for Pro12, which continues upwards. But it really is a nonsence to see Ospreys and Cardiff in Challenge Cup and Zebre in Champions Cup
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Ire - 75%
Fr - 54%
Scot- 50%
Wal -50%
Eng - 46%
It - 0%

A weekend of European rugby. Not bad, if Leinster are least successful Irish performers by results. Take out the Italians and its a pretty good weekend for Pro12, which continues upwards. But it really is a nonsence to see Ospreys and Cardiff in Challenge Cup and Zebre in Champions Cup
BTW, the chart should really show:
Russia - 100%
Ire - 75%
Fr - 54%
Scot - 50%
Wal - 50%
Eng - 46%
It - 0%

Credit where credit is due!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Ire - 75%
Fr - 54%
Scot- 50%
Wal -50%
Eng - 46%
It - 0%

Absolutely - you could make a similar argument for Quins, Gloucester or Bath. Any one of those would put 50 points on Zebre.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I suppose the people who think there shouldn't be an Italian team in the Champions Cup also think the 2015 World Cup would have been better with NZ Maori, England Saxons and Ireland Wolfhounds competing in place of Namibia, USA and Uruguay?
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Flash Gordon wrote:Zebre conceded 134 points in 2 games after their 7-52 home defeat to Connacht at the weekend. These guys aren't competitive in the Pro-12 they shouldn't be anywhere need the Champions Cup! Worse still, with the best 3 2nd placed team qualification system they actually distort the qualification system.
Would that be the same Zebre who a few weeks ago were beating Connacht until the weather prevented them having a bonus point win ?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

rooster wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:Zebre conceded 134 points in 2 games after their 7-52 home defeat to Connacht at the weekend. These guys aren't competitive in the Pro-12 they shouldn't be anywhere need the Champions Cup! Worse still, with the best 3 2nd placed team qualification system they actually distort the qualification system.
Would that be the same Zebre who a few weeks ago were beating Connacht until the weather prevented them having a bonus point win ?
Leaving aside that they've lost all 5 of their matches this year that kind of analysis is the rugby equivalent of "my granddad smoked 40 a day and lived till he was 100". On a very good day for them and a very bad day for another team (usually a very bad team) they might be competitive but over time they and their compatriots Treviso have been pretty useless. The only reason they are in the competition at all is because they are slightly less useless than Treviso.

No Italian team has won more than one game in the Champions/Heineken cup since 2005, they've had a long time to develop club rugby and its not working. My personal view is that the Challenge Cup is probably the right place for them in Europe.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Flash Gordon wrote:
rooster wrote:
Leaving aside that they've lost all 5 of their matches this year that kind of analysis is the rugby equivalent of "my granddad smoked 40 a day and lived till he was 100". On a very good day for them and a very bad day for another team (usually a very bad team) they might be competitive but over time they and their compatriots Treviso have been pretty useless. The only reason they are in the competition at all is because they are slightly less useless than Treviso.

No Italian team has won more than one game in the Champions/Heineken cup since 2005, they've had a long time to develop club rugby and its not working. My personal view is that the Challenge Cup is probably the right place for them in Europe.
No doubt the Challenge Cup is their limit but sure the whole European Cup is such a mess now no one really cares, their TV deals are not working and the sponsors / partners are not exactly clamoring over each other for part of the action either. I doubt it will be still running in it's present form in 5 years
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Guy who bit Roux got 9 weeks, guess he was wearing a really nice suit at the hearing
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Racing-Glasgow is a mazy, crazy and slightly hazy wild sort of a game. Very easy watching. Half an hour in and the Weegies should really win this. Racing have turned on Harlem Globetrotter mode and are just flinging it around without much interest in the basics of the game.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

So as it stands at tne moment,for this weekend;
Ulster BP win over Clermont
Munster 38-SFA against Leicester
Leinster BP win against Northampton away
Glasgow away win V Racing
Cardiff hammer Bath
Osprey's demolish Grenoble
Treviso give Bayonne a good hiding

But Dragons and Zebre lose, which just goes to prove that the Pro12 is shiiite!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

WE'RE SHÍT AND WE KNOW WE ARE, WE'RE SHÍT. ...
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

jezzer wrote:Racing-Glasgow is a mazy, crazy and slightly hazy wild sort of a game. Very easy watching. Half an hour in and the Weegies should really win this. Racing have turned on Harlem Globetrotter mode and are just flinging it around without much interest in the basics of the game.
The commentator was saying that kicking just isnt in the Racing arsenal so they had to run it. It was mad, given they jad Glasgow in the LO cf Hogg trying the peno from his own half.

Very impressive defensive ffort from Glasgow, need to fix the LO to have any chance next week.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

blockhead wrote:So as it stands at tne moment,for this weekend;
Ulster BP win over Clermont
Munster 38-SFA against Leicester
Leinster BP win against Northampton away
Glasgow away win V Racing
Cardiff hammer Bath
Osprey's demolish Grenoble
Treviso give Bayonne a good hiding

But Dragons and Zebre lose, which just goes to prove that the Pro12 is shiiite!
And Edinburg beat Stade.

But the Pro12 is still shiiiite!!
Shite I tell ya.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!