European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby Dave Cahill » October 15th, 2018, 10:25 am

I didn't see the Scarlets - Racing game, but going away to a really good team and dogging out a one point win is not something we would associate with French teams apart from Toulon a couple of years ago and Toulouse every further back in the past. It confirms their pre-tournament position as one of the teams, along with Leinster, Saracens and Exeter, that will be in the mix at the business end of the season. Conversely, Exeter showed a real lack of nous in their sister-kisser against Munster. Conditions played a part and Munster are almost as hateful to play against as Saracens in those conditions, but if Rory Best were Exeter captain they'd have won. They're on the back foot now for the rest of the group stage and still have to go to Thomond which gives English clubs the heebie-jeebies. Saracens looked like Saracens always look - an absolute shower of ignorant bollixes who are also very, very, good at rugby. Having said that Glasgow also looked like Glasgow always look in Europe - windy. If Itoje acted like that against Leinster he'd be going home in a Dublin ambulance - but the weegies just took it.

There were some good games from the also-rans too. Cardiff were excellent against Lyons, Anscombe's dummy for his try was a thing of beauty. Ulster having come off two defeats that would have had them questioning themselves found some answers in a much improved performance against a fairly mediocre Leicester team. I missed the post-match interviews, but I presume Geordan Murphy found someone to blame for the loss that wasn't Geordan Murphy or anyone connected to Geordan Murphy. Newcastle will be similarly delighted with a win in Toulon considering they're propping up the premiership. Bath versus Toulouse provided the great talking point/meme of the weekend, but even without Freddie's great fuck-up it was a really entertaining game between two teams at a similar level.
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 21520
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby blockhead » October 15th, 2018, 11:07 am

Dave Cahill wrote:I didn't see the Scarlets - Racing game, but going away to a really good team and dogging out a one point win is not something we would associate with French teams apart from Toulon a couple of years ago and Toulouse every further back in the past. It confirms their pre-tournament position as one of the teams, along with Leinster, Saracens and Exeter, that will be in the mix at the business end of the season. Conversely, Exeter showed a real lack of nous in their sister-kisser against Munster. Conditions played a part and Munster are almost as hateful to play against as Saracens in those conditions, but if Rory Best were Exeter captain they'd have won. They're on the back foot now for the rest of the group stage and still have to go to Thomond which gives English clubs the heebie-jeebies. Saracens looked like Saracens always look - an absolute shower of ignorant bollixes who are also very, very, good at rugby. Having said that Glasgow also looked like Glasgow always look in Europe - windy. If Itoje acted like that against Leinster he'd be going home in a Dublin ambulance - but the weegies just took it.

There were some good games from the also-rans too. Cardiff were excellent against Lyons, Anscombe's dummy for his try was a thing of beauty. Ulster having come off two defeats that would have had them questioning themselves found some answers in a much improved performance against a fairly mediocre Leicester team. I missed the post-match interviews, but I presume Geordan Murphy found someone to blame for the loss that wasn't Geordan Murphy or anyone connected to Geordan Murphy. Newcastle will be similarly delighted with a win in Toulon considering they're propping up the premiership. Bath versus Toulouse provided the great talking point/meme of the weekend, but even without Freddie's great fuck-up it was a really entertaining game between two teams at a similar level.


The usual, cant rest players in the prem blah de blah de blah. He mentioned that Youngs had played 8 straight games while Rory only played 2 or so in the last 18 weeks, of course Simply the Best has been injured.
Workload, after 6/7 games into the season the Prem players are already boll!xed. :roll:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby OTT » October 15th, 2018, 11:14 am

blockhead wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:I didn't see the Scarlets - Racing game, but going away to a really good team and dogging out a one point win is not something we would associate with French teams apart from Toulon a couple of years ago and Toulouse every further back in the past. It confirms their pre-tournament position as one of the teams, along with Leinster, Saracens and Exeter, that will be in the mix at the business end of the season. Conversely, Exeter showed a real lack of nous in their sister-kisser against Munster. Conditions played a part and Munster are almost as hateful to play against as Saracens in those conditions, but if Rory Best were Exeter captain they'd have won. They're on the back foot now for the rest of the group stage and still have to go to Thomond which gives English clubs the heebie-jeebies. Saracens looked like Saracens always look - an absolute shower of ignorant bollixes who are also very, very, good at rugby. Having said that Glasgow also looked like Glasgow always look in Europe - windy. If Itoje acted like that against Leinster he'd be going home in a Dublin ambulance - but the weegies just took it.

There were some good games from the also-rans too. Cardiff were excellent against Lyons, Anscombe's dummy for his try was a thing of beauty. Ulster having come off two defeats that would have had them questioning themselves found some answers in a much improved performance against a fairly mediocre Leicester team. I missed the post-match interviews, but I presume Geordan Murphy found someone to blame for the loss that wasn't Geordan Murphy or anyone connected to Geordan Murphy. Newcastle will be similarly delighted with a win in Toulon considering they're propping up the premiership. Bath versus Toulouse provided the great talking point/meme of the weekend, but even without Freddie's great fuck-up it was a really entertaining game between two teams at a similar level.


The usual, cant rest players in the prem blah de blah de blah. He mentioned that Youngs had played 8 straight games while Rory only played 2 or so in the last 18 weeks, of course Simply the Best has been injured.
Workload, after 6/7 games into the season the Prem players are already boll!xed. :roll:



Not to mention they are paying big money for an Australian international to sit on their bench.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
OTT
Enlightened
 
Posts: 999
Joined: February 2nd, 2012, 5:19 pm
Location: Blackrock

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby blockhead » October 15th, 2018, 11:40 am

3.5 wins for Pro14, 17pts
3.5 wins for Prem, 15 pts
3 wins for Top14, 14 pts

Fairly even start.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » October 15th, 2018, 12:09 pm

I thought Saracens, Racing, and Munster were all impressive in the way they toughed out their games, but I have to say that as much as I was impressed by them it was hard not to think that Glasgow, Scarlets, and Exeter couldn't cope under the pressure of needing to win their first home games. I can't really remember what was expected of Glasgow when they won the Pro12 a few years ago but certainly with the latter two there have been big expectations since they won their leagues and have failed to kick on. As good as they both were when they won those titles, they were very much underdogs and it suited them. Different kettle of fish altogether when they try to step up in Europe and when you look through their squads it makes sense, they just don't have that top end quality throughout. Glasgow might not have had realistic ambitions of winning the competition, but their decision making and indiscipline were unbelievably poor yesterday, just lost their heads completely. Side note, but for all the talk of Sarries being dicks yesterday I thought Glasgow were just as bad. When you've Ryan Wilson being Ryan Wilson then I don't blame them for reacting.

The big thing I noticed was how tight the vast majority of games were. It's already easy to imagine how tough all of the QFs will be.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11500
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby kermischocolate » October 15th, 2018, 1:19 pm

Dave Cahill wrote: Saracens looked like Saracens always look - an absolute shower of ignorant bollixes who are also very, very, good at rugby. Having said that Glasgow also looked like Glasgow always look in Europe - windy. If Itoje acted like that against Leinster he'd be going home in a Dublin ambulance - but the weegies just took it.


Couldn't agree more with this.

Apart from George Horne I'm struggling to think of any Glasgow player that is better now than they were 18months ago. Our lack of recruitment is a serious worry. We have one rookie specialist 10, lack serious grunt upfront but more importantly have very few effective leaders. Not taking points on offer yesterday was stupidly naive.

The Dave Rennie experiment remains decidedly experimental imo.

And as someone who has previously defended Sarries, mea culpa, I've seen the light and won't be making that mistake again.
User avatar
kermischocolate
Mullet
 
Posts: 1147
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 2:56 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby dropkick » October 15th, 2018, 2:03 pm

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:. Side note, but for all the talk of Sarries being dicks yesterday I thought Glasgow were just as bad. When you've Ryan Wilson being Ryan Wilson then I don't blame them for reacting.



In terms of teams being dicks, Glasgow are always near the top of that league.
User avatar
dropkick
Mullet
 
Posts: 1389
Joined: January 2nd, 2007, 1:27 am
Location: Cork

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby kermischocolate » October 15th, 2018, 2:55 pm

dropkick wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:. Side note, but for all the talk of Sarries being dicks yesterday I thought Glasgow were just as bad. When you've Ryan Wilson being Ryan Wilson then I don't blame them for reacting.



In terms of teams being dicks, Glasgow are always near the top of that league.


Oh? How so?
User avatar
kermischocolate
Mullet
 
Posts: 1147
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 2:56 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby blockhead » October 15th, 2018, 3:26 pm

kermischocolate wrote:
dropkick wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:. Side note, but for all the talk of Sarries being dicks yesterday I thought Glasgow were just as bad. When you've Ryan Wilson being Ryan Wilson then I don't blame them for reacting.



In terms of teams being dicks, Glasgow are always near the top of that league.


Oh? How so?


They usually give Munster a good batin!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby paddyor » October 15th, 2018, 4:35 pm

Billy Vunipola with a broken arm, jaysus his body has taken some beating the past 18 months.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
User avatar
paddyor
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3715
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 12:48 am

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby Oldschool » October 15th, 2018, 5:31 pm

paddyor wrote:Billy Vunipola with a broken arm, jaysus his body has taken some beating the past 18 months.

Opportunity knocks for the other teams in the group.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11183
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby blockhead » October 15th, 2018, 5:54 pm

Oldschool wrote:
paddyor wrote:Billy Vunipola with a broken arm, jaysus his body has taken some beating the past 18 months.

Opportunity knocks for the other teams in the group.

Brother Mako and Nick Isiekwe are out for a bit too. Saracens struggled without big billy last season, so did Engerland too for that matter.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby wixfjord » October 15th, 2018, 7:36 pm

kermischocolate wrote:
dropkick wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:. Side note, but for all the talk of Sarries being dicks yesterday I thought Glasgow were just as bad. When you've Ryan Wilson being Ryan Wilson then I don't blame them for reacting.



In terms of teams being dicks, Glasgow are always near the top of that league.


Oh? How so?


Ryan Wilson would win that league all on his own.
wixfjord
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4152
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby blockhead » October 17th, 2018, 4:19 pm

Nick Isiekwe out for 8 weeks, Mako out for 6. Billy out already with a broken arm.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby dropkick » October 17th, 2018, 7:36 pm

kermischocolate wrote:
dropkick wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:. Side note, but for all the talk of Sarries being dicks yesterday I thought Glasgow were just as bad. When you've Ryan Wilson being Ryan Wilson then I don't blame them for reacting.



In terms of teams being dicks, Glasgow are always near the top of that league.


Oh? How so?



Mouthing off, shirt grabbing, pushing etc. I think they try to make up for their lack of physicality by winding up the opposition. Maybe it works for them but it wasn't a surprise to see that kind of controversy at the weekend.


I bet they were trying to get under Itoje's skin and he reacted to it.
User avatar
dropkick
Mullet
 
Posts: 1389
Joined: January 2nd, 2007, 1:27 am
Location: Cork

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby kermischocolate » October 17th, 2018, 9:13 pm

dropkick wrote:Mouthing off, shirt grabbing, pushing etc. I think they try to make up for their lack of physicality by winding up the opposition. Maybe it works for them but it wasn't a surprise to see that kind of controversy at the weekend.


I bet they were trying to get under Itoje's skin and he reacted to it.


Interesting view point.

Also very annoying that Sarries had Lozowski cited for two things from Sunday (how often does that happen??) One was dismissed, the other should have been a red and he's been banned for 2 weeks.
User avatar
kermischocolate
Mullet
 
Posts: 1147
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 2:56 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby hugonaut » October 17th, 2018, 9:37 pm

dropkick wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:
dropkick wrote:
In terms of teams being dicks, Glasgow are always near the top of that league.


Oh? How so?


Mouthing off, shirt grabbing, pushing etc.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p23mA2VV0A
User avatar
hugonaut
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4742
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby dropkick » October 17th, 2018, 10:41 pm

hugonaut wrote:
dropkick wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:
Oh? How so?


Mouthing off, shirt grabbing, pushing etc.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p23mA2VV0A



The only irony there is your misuse of the word. :green clap:
User avatar
dropkick
Mullet
 
Posts: 1389
Joined: January 2nd, 2007, 1:27 am
Location: Cork

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby Peg Leg » October 19th, 2018, 8:57 pm

Omg what is the average age of the Leicester fanbase?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8832
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Postby blockhead » October 19th, 2018, 10:06 pm

Bath owner Bruce Craig wants the Toulouse match replayed. He's even sent a letter to Switzerland!

Turn the machines back on, turn the machines back on!












Can you guess the movie?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

PreviousNext

Return to General Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SemrushBot [Bot] and 2 guests