Kimmage running down rugby..

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

leinster4life13
Mullet

Kimmage running down rugby..

Post by leinster4life13 »

Again. WHAT.A.*word removed so I dont get sued or banned*
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i ... 66512.html
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Kimmage running down rugby..

Post by paddyor »

leinster4life13 wrote:Again. WHAT.A.*word removed so I dont get sued or banned*
He's a journalist and he's entitled to ask question. You yourself said it was rife in the sport. Also was it not you who was devastated when he quit as BODs ghost writer?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
leinster4life13
Mullet

paddyor wrote:
leinster4life13 wrote:Again. WHAT.A.*word removed so I dont get sued or banned*
He's a journalist and he's entitled to ask question. You yourself said it was rife in the sport. Also was it not you who was devastated when he quit as BODs ghost writer?
Its rife in all pro sports, its gone way past the point of no return, anyone who says otherwise is just a bitter king canute. He is a good writer and would have brought a bit of life into an incredibly dreary and squeaky clean BOD, that is different to him running down rugby to further his agenda. Why is he not writing articles about Jamaican athletics, that is the biggest piss take in world sport and everyone just nods along, he wont as rugby is an easy target, and the concerned mothers eat all this nonsense up.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

i can see why this is particularly attractive as a story to kimmage. here is another "pissing in the soup" as he did when he wrote rough ride.

i'm astonished that anybody could possibly be surprised by these types of revelations, and fwiw the wada testing statistics are available for anybody to google. rugby doesn't come out looking so clean.

in the 2013 report wada found adverse analytical findings in 1.2% of samples in cycling compared with 1.3% in rugby. only boxing, judo, weightlifting and wrestling had higher positive frequencies. interestingly, these data are from urine testing only and so probably only represent the tip of an iceberg.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

very long (winded) article

short version is ex French pro says there was doping in early days of professionalism
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

simonokeeffe wrote:very long (winded) article

short version is ex French pro says there was doping in early days of professionalism
No he says there's still plenty of doping in rugby
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Only read the start. The long windedness is from following the American format for this kind of thing. Starting off with the personal anecdote about the case, then doing the history of the person, before going into the issues. I've no problem with that. If you want a short article the sports pages are peppered with them.

Why is Kimmage writing it about rugby rather than bolting sprinters? Access.

There are people in a much better position than he to write about multi-multi-million earning sprinters. He would simply not have the backing to go in there. Nor would he have any contacts (plenty of pro-rugby players in Ireland versus sprinters).

Oh, and lawyers. Lots and lots of lawyers.

I'm off to finish the article now if I can scare up a coffee.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I thought it was pretty well known that 2 Irish players, one from Ulster and one from Leinster tested positive and were banned over a decade ago. The bans were never made public but neither go selected for an Irish squad until their bans were up. I wont name names on here but as I've said I think its pretty well known.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Wasn't Kimmage the cheapest site on the Monopoly board?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

blockhead wrote:Wasn't Kimmage the cheapest site on the Monopoly board?

Yes - it and Crumlin HAD the same value back in the 70s. Nowadays the property tax would have us believe that there is a huge difference between the two areas
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
leinster4life13
Mullet

He also implies it is utterly widespread today, and what is the implication by having this story on the Sunday paper the day after we beat OZ? He and his ilk are out to get Irish rugby, he doesnt give a sh!t about doping in rugby, its all an ego trip.
fourthirtythree wrote:Only read the start. The long windedness is from following the American format for this kind of thing. Starting off with the personal anecdote about the case, then doing the history of the person, before going into the issues. I've no problem with that. If you want a short article the sports pages are peppered with them.

There are people in a much better position than he to write about multi-multi-million earning sprinters. He would simply not have the backing to go in there. Nor would he have any contacts (plenty of pro-rugby players in Ireland versus sprinters).

But why dont they? they understand what side their bread is buttered on, hence the whole "genetic freak"(LMAO) stuff that gets bandied about when the sprinters are in the news. The NFL is the same, no one rocks the boat when its so blatant (130kg guys running 4.5/6's leaping around the place). I dont understand why the indo is coming out with this stuff.

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I find him a bit tedious, I have to say. The whole internal monologue thing, where he projects his thoughts as a back-and-forth in somebody else's head [in the past] is f*cking painful to read:

"C'est pas normal."

"I hear you."

"C'est pas normal."

"Okay, but what are you going to do about it?"

"I'm getting out."

"That's brave."

"I'm not watching rugby again."

"Wonderful . . . but what will that change."

"I can't change it."

"You can denounce it."

"That won't change it."

"It's a start."

"Why me?"

"Why not?"

"I'm not ready yet."

"You've had 20 years."

"Not true."

"You're complicit."

"Not true."

"If you don't speak out you're complicit."

"I need to think about it."

Shut the f*ck up, internal Kimmage monologue.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

hugonaut wrote:I find him a bit tedious, I have to say.

A gigantic plus one to that.

That opening paragraph is also scarily similar to something I wrote on here a while ago when I was slagging off his formulaic approach. Every interview seems to open with a kitchen, some idle staring, and a cup of tea. Tea that will then become a symbol for some bullshit characteristic of the interviewee that suits the equally bullshitty narrative.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

leinster4life13 wrote:

He also implies it is utterly widespread today, and what is the implication by having this story on the Sunday paper the day after we beat OZ? He and his ilk are out to get Irish rugby, he doesnt give a sh!t about doping in rugby, its all an ego trip.
fourthirtythree wrote:Only read the start. The long windedness is from following the American format for this kind of thing. Starting off with the personal anecdote about the case, then doing the history of the person, before going into the issues. I've no problem with that. If you want a short article the sports pages are peppered with them.

But why dont they? they understand what side their bread is buttered on, hence the whole "genetic freak"(LMAO) stuff that gets bandied about when the sprinters are in the news. The NFL is the same, no one rocks the boat when its so blatant (130kg guys running 4.5/6's leaping around the place). I dont understand why the indo is coming out with this stuff.
1.3% of urine tests on rugby players in 2013 provided adverse analytical findings, i.e. tested positive. that is a high rate of positive testing, and this is especially so when the substances being tested for aren't even the ones that would be most useful for rugby players e.g. growth hormone. empirical data would suggest that the problem IS widespread.

perhaps, among other reasons, he picks rugby because everybody and his dog knows that jamaican sprinters and nfl footballers dope.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

going by that percentage that would mean only one or at most 2 pro rugby players in all of Ireland testing positive
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
hugonaut wrote:I find him a bit tedious, I have to say.

A gigantic plus one to that.

That opening paragraph is also scarily similar to something I wrote on here a while ago when I was slagging off his formulaic approach. Every interview seems to open with a kitchen, some idle staring, and a cup of tea. Tea that will then become a symbol for some bullshit characteristic of the interviewee that suits the equally bullshitty narrative.
I have absolutely no intention of reading his article but did he also tell us that he's the only person in the world who knows/can appreciate his interviewees skill/talent/story?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

simonokeeffe wrote:going by that percentage that would mean only one or at most 2 pro rugby players in all of Ireland testing positive
That is the problem - 1 or 2 is 1 or 2 too many. and that's in the pleasant environs of the IRFU.

Let alone start on kids taking protein shakes & creatine and doing weights.

Kimmage might not be your favourite sports journalist, but just because he has picking on our sport ahead of more obvious targets does not mean theres no problems
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

olaf the fat wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:going by that percentage that would mean only one or at most 2 pro rugby players in all of Ireland testing positive
That is the problem - 1 or 2 is 1 or 2 too many. and that's in the pleasant environs of the IRFU.

Kimmage might not be your favourite sports journalist, but just because he has picking on our sport ahead of more obvious targets does not mean theres no problems
exactly

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

The thing with Kimmage is everybody is guilty until proven guilty, it is a miserable way to be.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

olaf the fat wrote:

No problem with the emboldened, but agree with the post.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan