greenwood article about cheating

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

greenwood article about cheating

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Historically, anyone on the wrong side of the ball was usually trying to slow it down. Even in today’s more watched world, players try to steal the ball as the tackler, and if they get buried in the ruck they try to remove themselves slowly and still slow the attacking side down. Referees are pretty strong on this.
But attacking sides now have a different slant on it. They do quite a few things now in an attempt to con the ref; they hold the tackler into the ruck, they hold the tackler down, they grab his foot, his arm, his shirt and all so they can try to win a penalty. Basically they look to slow the ball down to win a fake penalty against the opposition for slowing the ball down.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/column ... evels.html

not a great article and while he rambles on about the english backs and team...I must admit....he has a point (quote above). it's not a new thing...been around for a while but it's becoming so common now to lean on a player caught on the wrong side and draw a penalty by making it impossible to roll away.

wouldn't like to be a ref these days...
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Re: greenwood article about cheating

Post by Morf »

I disagree with the general effort of defenders to avoid slowing ball. It's as bad as ever. Attackers can't really ruck much either.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: greenwood article about cheating

Post by neiliog93 »

One thing that really annoys me is how players get a good position over the ball in a defensive ruck, but don't actually have their hands on the ball (or touching it in any way), and still win a penalty for 'holding on' when the attacking support players fail to knock them over at the ruck. If you don't have your hands on the ball, the tackled player can't hold on!
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!