Kingspan Stadium to host Guinness Pro12 final

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

elfan
Knowledgeable

Kingspan Stadium to host Guinness Pro12 final

Post by elfan »

elfan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Kingspan Stadium to host Guinness Pro12 final

Post by blockhead »

So the seeding in Europe thing.
Is that done by our end of season position in the league table or do the playoffs count?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Who do they expect to go to these finals if they don't have a host team in them? When are they going to have it in Italy?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

blockhead wrote:So the seeding in Europe thing.
Is that done by our end of season position in the league table or do the playoffs count?
It was done by playoffs last season.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

This has to be one of the daftest ideas of all time. There'll be no-one there if none of the Irish teams reach the final.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

I was sure this was some sort of joke, then I saw this:

http://www.pro12rugby.com/news/16550.php#.VMYyn03KHcs
Dont Panic!
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable

Post by The Anathemata »

cormac wrote:
This has to be one of the daftest ideas of all time. There'll be no-one there if none of the Irish teams reach the final.
Correct. Quite likely that we could have Spays against Glasgee in almost completely empty Ravenhill. Great way to advertise a competition that is getting weaker and weaker, year on year. Absolutely no incentive now to finish top. What a farce!
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

How can they announce something like that during the season when season ticket holders at the start of the season could hold onto the possibility of a home final particularly if one of those loyal supporters is 87 and might not find it as easy to get to Ravenhill as in the past. :? :(
Last edited by footrush on January 26th, 2015, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying wedge
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

The league is only really getting going now so I would have thought it was better keeping the format the same as before. Wonder if they'll try and do like the Heineken Cup and sell tickets well in advance? I think the reward of a home semi and final for the team finishing top is just reward, it should be weighted in favour of the team finishing top.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Edna Kenny wrote:The league is only really getting going now so I would have thought it was better keeping the format the same as before. Wonder if they'll try and do like the Heineken Cup and sell tickets well in advance? I think the reward of a home semi and final for the team finishing top is just reward, it should be weighted in favour of the team finishing top.
The tickets are on sale from next Tuesday!!! :shock:
Last edited by Dexter on January 26th, 2015, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dont Panic!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

How many Glasgow fans traveled to the RDS in May? Didn't seem like a lot.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:How many Glasgow fans traveled to the RDS in May? Didn't seem like a lot.
Couple of thousand wasn't it. It was by some distance their biggest ever travelling support and I'd be pretty sure it dwarfed the numbers the Ospreys brought with them in 2010 and 2012.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Dexter wrote:
Edna Kenny wrote:The league is only really getting going now so I would have thought it was better keeping the format the same as before. Wonder if they'll try and do like the Heineken Cup and sell tickets well in advance? I think the reward of a home semi and final for the team finishing top is just reward, it should be weighted in favour of the team finishing top.
The tickets are on sales from next Tuesday!!! :shock:
They better hope Ulster are in the final then :shock:
Flying wedge
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:How many Glasgow fans traveled to the RDS in May? Didn't seem like a lot.
As a % of their ave attendances, quite a lot I'd say.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

footrush wrote:
Dexter wrote:
The tickets are on sales from next Tuesday!!! :shock:
They better hope Ulster are in the final then :shock:
Just who is going to buy tickets in Feb for the final in May? They won't sell any until the 2 teams are known.
Dont Panic!
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

If I was an Ospreys or Glasgow fan (or anyone involved with either set-up actually) I would be going absolutely bananas about the goal posts being shifted like that mid-season.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable

Post by The Anathemata »

Vamos los azules wrote:If I was an Ospreys or Glasgow fan (or anyone involved with either set-up actually) I would be going absolutely bananas about the goal posts being shifted like that mid-season.
Disagree. In the interests of ensuring sizeable crowds, I'd say the next two finals will be in Glasgee and Cardiff and then onto Rome or Dublin. Other locales, including Limerick, may never see a final again.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac wrote:
Couple of thousand wasn't it. It was by some distance their biggest ever travelling support and I'd be pretty sure it dwarfed the numbers the Ospreys brought with them in 2010 and 2012.
Thanks. I was sitting behind a group of them but can't say I remember many more.

Then again, my vision was somewhat blurry after the 8th minute or so....ahem...
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
cormac wrote:
Thanks. I was sitting behind a group of them but can't say I remember many more.

Then again, my vision was somewhat blurry after the 8th minute or so....ahem...
Around 3000 which is half our usual match attendance and our entire number of STHs.

This makes no sense at all. If you want a bumper day why not do like the top 14 and have both semis in the same venue on same day then final still goes to highest ranked team?

If its an ulster-leinster final don't you guys have as many STHs as entire capacity (or there abouts)?

If it's Glasgow-Ospreys it'll be empty.

Daft decision.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

This could work especially with the RCC being wrapped up by the end of April, but they really should have started back in September to sell the tickets. I'm thinking of going whether we make the final or not. I had intended going to the Ulster game in April but can't because of prior commitments. It's the last game of the season and there won't be any rugby for 2 months after.

Our guaranteed last home game is 3 weeks before it. It gets messy if we get an away SF then you have to choose which you'll go to.

They must have the TV numbers to believe that the locals whether they are neutral or not will get behind it. If the locals in this instance don't it'll look bad for our RWC bid.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles