Concussion

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Concussion

Post by Flash Gordon »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Florian Fritz in the T14 quarters.
chapeau
rooster wrote:The Ireland docs have not exactly excelled in the past
allowing RK to play on after passing out under the posts in the grand slam game v France springs to mind
Yeah that's right! If memory serves he went over, got up, wobbled and went back down again before getting up looking very shaky.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

yeah it was obvious to row z he didnt know where he was and was totally punch drunk

Alistair Hargreaves retires due to concussion
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Brave piece by Slattery here in the independent.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/int ... 51168.html

3 things.
1. Keith Earls' ban should be reviewed to take account of a backtrack on an apology.
2. An genuine re-apology needs to go to Fraser Brown from someone. If not Keith, then Munster rugby.
3. Like his previous rival for the 11 shirt when he was playing, he should not be let within 100 feet of another microphone again. Until he retires. And even then.

I accept personal grief going on here. I can accept the tackle was an out of character mistake. Correct red card, served his time, move on and don't do it again, but the criticism of the tackled player is not good enough.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Fan with smartphone wrote:Brave piece by Slattery here in the independent.

3 things.
1. Keith Earls' ban should be reviewed to take account of a backtrack on an apology.
2. An genuine re-apology needs to go to Fraser Brown from someone. If not Keith, then Munster rugby.
3. Like his previous rival for the 11 shirt when he was playing, he should not be let within 100 feet of another microphone again. Until he retires. And even then.

I accept personal grief going on here. I can accept the tackle was an out of character mistake. Correct red card, served his time, move on and don't do it again, but the criticism of the tackled player is not good enough.
totally agree apart from the review of the ban. Disgraceful outburst from Earls who is solely to blame for the red card and its effect on the team's tribute to their coach. The nerve of him to go public with his ridiculous attempts to demonise the victim of his dump tackle
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

enby wrote:

3 things.

totally agree apart from the review of the ban. Disgraceful outburst from Earls who is solely to blame for the red card and its effect on the team's tribute to their coach. The nerve of him to go public with his ridiculous attempts to demonise the victim of his dump tackle
maybe he should ask BOD what he thinks of it
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

3 things.

Keith Earls should count himself lucky that it wasn't Paul Kimmage interviewing him..... 'I was very tempted to put up my hand and take Joe Schmidt to task': Paul Kimmage on the 'forgotten' issue after Ireland's win
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

'I was very tempted to put up my hand and take Joe Schmidt to task...until I realised that it was Joe Schmidt and he is not to be f%~ked with'
I have Bumbleflex
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Also in Earls interview - the only thing he's sorry for is kicking the waterbottle?! Not sorry for letting his team down so.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

If we keep giving players grief for their comments / responses to questions. Don't be surprised when they stop giving any comments.

Have a look at what PO'C said about how much the interaction with fans has altered since Selfies intervened.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:If we keep giving players grief for their comments / responses to questions. Don't be surprised when they stop giving any comments.

Have a look at what PO'C said about how much the interaction with fans has altered since Selfies intervened.
have you a link? I'd be interested in that.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Peg Leg wrote:'I was very tempted to put up my hand and take Joe Schmidt to task': Paul Kimmage on the 'forgotten' issue after Ireland's win
:lol: Brilliant!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:If we keep giving players grief for their comments / responses to questions. Don't be surprised when they stop giving any comments.

It was on Second Captains podcast last Thursday I think.

Here
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

simonokeeffe wrote:

Read it somewthere over the weekend - might have been in Sindo back page commentary piece. Can't find reference to it through web.

Basically he was saying that up to a couple of years ago he loved meeting fans and after the initial chat about Munster / Ireland he really enjoyed hearing their views on Club scene, young guys coming through, what Clubs were going well etc. Now he says it is all about 'Selfies' 'Tweets' interventions and interruptions, rather than casual, fun meetings and building friendships. People behave as if its an entitlement to take a 'Selfie', rather than a 'gift of friendship'.

These are all my words, or sense of the piece, rather than quotes. But it rang true from my own experience of meeting the man a couple of times at overseas rugby games.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cheers guys, have to remember now why I unsubscribed to second captains, may have been Ken Early

read a brief exerpt in IT, and yeah theres been a few times where Ive been chatting to players/actors etc and lots of people will just interrupt for a photo and half the time they dont know who the person is they just want to collect the likes

Apologies for the massive tangent but for a snapshot of what it can be like, the Glasgow based comics used to play 5 a side every Tuesday at 3pm but so many people were turning up to watch Kevin Bridges play 5 a side and walk on to the pitch to get photos with him mid match they had to randomise the day and time theyd play it. Same comic that told me about this even said once they were in the showers after the game and some naked weegie walked up to Bridges mid shower, threw an arm around him, took a picture, and walked off.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Surprised at POC saying that because I've seen him be very generous with fans a good few times over the last few years. I know he wasn't saying that he shies away from them, but I just mean that he hides his wariness really well and it hasn't stopped him being friendly to people. Don't think I've ever seen anyone deal with fans better than him. Mads and Heaslip up there too.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Surprised at POC saying that because I've seen him be very generous with fans a good few times over the last few years. I know he wasn't saying that he shies away from them, but I just mean that he hides his wariness really well and it hasn't stopped him being friendly to people. Don't think I've ever seen anyone deal with fans better than him. Mads and Heaslip up there too.
Well he did almost go into politics ;-)
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Surprised at POC saying that because I've seen him be very generous with fans a good few times over the last few years. I know he wasn't saying that he shies away from them, but I just mean that he hides his wariness really well and it hasn't stopped him being friendly to people. Don't think I've ever seen anyone deal with fans better than him. Mads and Heaslip up there too.
There is a difference between fans who are polite, and interact in a positive way with willing players, and the 'I want' Generation who believe it's their absolute right just to grab a player for a selfie, and then post the picture up as some form of trophy. Reminds me of someone who made a grab at Tour de France winner Cadel Evans. He didn't take too kindly to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FikzgWE3t0A
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

There appears to be a bit of a backlash at the moment on various social media outlets about Northampton's dealing of the North incidents against Leicester last week with many people accusing them of changing their story. I have only just viewed the incident but it struck me that he didn't come down on his head, nor did there appear to any major whiplash involved. So maybe this is somewhat reckless for me to suggest but could North have faked injury looking to get the other player sent off? Just the whole thing reminds me of bloodgate.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

offshorerules wrote:There appears to be a bit of a backlash at the moment on various social media outlets about Northampton's dealing of the North incidents against Leicester last week with many people accusing them of changing their story. I have only just viewed the incident but it struck me that he didn't come down on his head, nor did there appear to any major whiplash involved. So maybe this is somewhat reckless for me to suggest but could North have faked injury looking to get the other player sent off? Just the whole thing reminds me of bloodgate.
Thought the same myself. Which leaves two options - North was out cold or he was faking it.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

offshorerules wrote:There appears to be a bit of a backlash at the moment on various social media outlets about Northampton's dealing of the North incidents against Leicester last week with many people accusing them of changing their story. I have only just viewed the incident but it struck me that he didn't come down on his head, nor did there appear to any major whiplash involved. So maybe this is somewhat reckless for me to suggest but could North have faked injury looking to get the other player sent off? Just the whole thing reminds me of bloodgate.
His head hits the ground... whiplash not required for concussion. Stopping suddenly/instantly is enough.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan