Connacht Rugby 2015 / 2016

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: Connacht Rugby 2015 / 2016

Post by jezzer »

Dave Cahill wrote:[ Even by Niyis own admission he wasn't taking rugby seriously and was playing as much football and soccer as he was rugby.
Probably explains why he drops the ball so much.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Doesn't explain why he can't kick it though :lol:
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

jezzer wrote:Dave is right.

Leinster time, money and effort into young players can only go so far. There's no doubt in my mind that goin back a number of years (even before Route 6'6"!) a higher priority was put on prop, lock (and maybe scrum half) as positions needing serious pipeline development than the other positions. With some justification too. Before we started the cupboard was very bare. The result? Toner, McGrath, Furlong, Dooley, Kearney, Marshall, Beirne, Molony, Byrne x 2, Burke-Flynn, Tracy and others. It's a pretty good haul. We finally produced a few half-decent scrum halves in Cooney, McGrath and Nick.

I imagine there was an element of complacency/arrogance about the rest of the back positions - the fabled Dublin Schools pipeline will always spit out little BODs every year. The truth is there haven't been that many special talents in the back positions. Madigan (depending on where you sit), Ringrose, O'Malley maybe. You couldn't say the Academy has excelled itself in developing what talent was given to them in the outside backs, but the talent it got hasn't been stellar either.

And it's not like the backs that did come out were lacking match opportunities. The Leinster A team that has won a hatful of B&I Cups was stocked constantly with Academy backs. They've performed well at that level, but as Dave said not that many have really stepped up. Pro 12 teams have always had up and coming centres and wingers in it. Often halfbacks too, during test windows. Fullback is maybe the only position where you could say Kearney, Isa and Kirchner have basically deprived any avenue for development. Even then, Conway and Madigan got some games there.

The skills levels all round in the province seem to have dropped. I'd have thought Girve and Murphy had enough apprenticeship in a province that vlaued skills over just about everything that this wouldn't happen. But it has. Our skill levels were always top of the league, even when results weren't. We might be top of the league now, but the skills levels aren't even playoff calibre.

But the Academy has proven with props and locks it can fill a dire need. Hopefully they can repeat the trick when our good backs quit.
No one has said they have't done a good job with forwards, although i'd question wether some of those forwards you listed will actually be quality players for leinster. And none of those scrumhalves have as of yet turned out to be quality players. See that the crux of the matter, relying on special talents to be produced by the schools system and not being able to develop the players at its disposal into viable 1st choice players for Leinster. Connacht have managed to develop players who weren't considered special talents into pretty good rugby players who play with skill and intelligence, why has that stopped at leinster? MOC took a lot of the blame for the regression and I was the chief critic.. but there has to be questions asked now of the whole system from underage to academy to senior setup, why are leinster doing a poorer job at developing backs than connacht and ulster?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
goreyguy wrote: You keep saying "players weren't good enough", why weren't they good enough? Matt Healy wasn't good enough to get into the academy, same with Niyi Adeolokun.. look what good coaching and development did for them.. if only the backs around leinster in recent times could have gotten similar coaching and been allowed develop and reach their potential. Maybe Leinster wouldn't be signing project player backs or rugby league players or taking players from other provinces to replace the old guard who are leaving.

I'll write what I want. Thank you.
Your entire premise is based upon the ability to see the future though and without that it is completely unworkable

Lets say there are 50 secondary schools affiliated with the Leinster Branch

10 backs per school senior team (7 starters plus we'll say three on the bench and each school has one team only) - thats 500 backs

There are over 60 clubs affliated with the branch

10 backs per club u18 side (as above)- thats 600 backs

1100 backs around Leinster in recent times.

You have to filter them somehow and thats where guys get cut. You can't afford to deliver professional or professional developmental coaching to a thousand guys!

If as a result of being cut they up their game/cop on/develop late, thats all great and all, but no one was tearing their hair out at the injustice dealt to either Matt or Niyi at the time. Even by Niyis own admission he wasn't taking rugby seriously and was playing as much football and soccer as he was rugby.
at least 1100 backs in recent times, and 1st choice player produced for the senior team. That record speaks for itself. Now you might say that there isn't room for more 1st choice players but I disagree..
Teo is leaving and needed replacing, leinster were unable to do that.
Sexton left and needed replacing, leinster were unable to do that.
Boss is leaving and needs replacing, leinster are unable to do that.
Darcy left and needed replacing, leinster were unable to do that.
Darragh Fanning played 34 times for Leinster, there wasn't a young back who could have gotten that gametime?
Leinster resigned Kirchner, there wasn't a leinster developed back who could have fulfilled his role?
Madigan is leaving, and the consensus is that leinster arent capable of replacing him either, even if Nucifora is forcing them too.

The only back we've somewhat successfully replaced is BOD. :lol:
And maybe Reddan..
Last edited by goreyguy on April 12th, 2016, 4:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I'd say Leinster are just being typically Irish. They're more concerned about what the player cannot do than what they can do. Thats why Ireland are relatively successful by being tough to break down and playing a bland style of rugby.

Examples are everywhere. I was listening to a newstalk podcast last night with Quinlan and Hogan talking. They spent 90% of the time criticising Connachts mistakes. How about highlighting some of their brilliant attacking play!?

IMO they need to forget about size (especially in the backline) and try to pick players more on skill and flair. I've often heard over the years how good X player was but "just a pity he was too small".
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

We've signed Henshaw which is probably going to be the signing of the decade by an Irish province. Did we produce him, no, do we care (aprat from one person)? No, did we produce Teo who he's replacing? No

Thing to remember is you heavily rest senior players to embiggen their replacements, aside from guys thinking they dont have to earn their jersey, is the senior players would be liable to leave as it messes up their earning power and chances with Ireland

Speaking of Irish centres, is Murray Kinsella right to be gushing over Chris Farrell's performance?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

dropkick wrote:I'd say Leinster are just being typically Irish. They're more concerned about what the player cannot do than what they can do. Thats why Ireland are relatively successful by being tough to break down and playing a bland style of rugby.

Examples are everywhere. I was listening to a newstalk podcast last night with Quinlan and Hogan talking. They spent 90% of the time criticising Connachts mistakes. How about highlighting some of their brilliant attacking play!?

IMO they need to forget about size (especially in the backline) and try to pick players more on skill and flair. I've often heard over the years how good X player was but "just a pity he was too small".
I have to agree. I found Quinlan and Hogan incredibly hard on Connacht- much like a "senior poster" here. We didn't get anything like the same kicking for our terrible play in Europe. All wrapped up with, "we are saying this for their own good..." rap. But I don't believe that stands up- for the reasons we won't rehearse again.

As to the skill set agreement, you're right again. We now have a cohort of great defenders and predictable attackers because we value that more a d select them more.

On the other hand GG spent many a thread condemning the fact that young players (who he doesn't rate now) not getting game time. That makes no sense either. But saying there's nothing we can do to improve the academy and selection system is b*##~cks also.

I think we all need to rethink this. And I'm starting with the coaches this time. What the hell are we teaching then in attack? Do we teach then anything at all???
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Wow, what a difference that attribute called confidence makes and fair balls to Ben Whitehouse. No matter who meets who in semi-finals, there are no 'gimmes' left now and three teams at least (including us playing with confidence.

Well done Westies, so far, keep it going!
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Couldn't give a monkeys about the table. COME ON CONNACHT.

Also how many high tackles can Munster get away with?!
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

FFS Bundee is a helluva player. Needs to work on his passing though
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Whitehouse is a really impressive ref
Instructions are clear and precise and always favours the attacking tea with the use of cards
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

High, swinging arm from Stander appears to have broken Bealhams jaw
I have Bumbleflex
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Athenry is in Galway
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Drico just asked on twitter "Anyone know what Bucharest is like in December?!"
I have Bumbleflex
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:Drico just asked on twitter "Anyone know what Bucharest is like in December?!"
Though the mills of Bod grind slowly; Yet they grind exceeding small;
Though with patience He stands waiting, With exactness grinds He all.

It was Foley who started it!!! :|
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

enby wrote:FFS Bundee is a helluva player. Needs to work on his passing though
12 months till he's eligible. I got a bit of scorn a while ago when I said he'll be an Ireland player, but damn certain he will be.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

CiaranIrl wrote:
12 months till he's eligible. I got a bit of scorn a while ago when I said he'll be an Ireland player, but damn certain he will be.
cant see him being a regular IMO, but Ive nailed my colours firmly to the mast of the Henshaw Ringrose axis
Blue not red blood wrote:Athenry is in Galway
:mrgreen:
Dave Cahill wrote:High, swinging arm from Stander appears to have broken Bealhams jaw
was that in the act of scoring or when did that happen and why did I delete that game after watching it????
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

simonokeeffe wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:
cant see him being a regular IMO, but Ive nailed my colours firmly to the mast of the Henshaw Ringrose axis
Blue not red blood wrote:Athenry is in Galway
:mrgreen:
Dave Cahill wrote:High, swinging arm from Stander appears to have broken Bealhams jaw
was that in the act of scoring or when did that happen and why did I delete that game after watching it????
In the act of scoring. I saw it as a desperate effort to stop him rather than a cynical attempt to hurt or injure. But it was dangerous in any case.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

Too many cheap shots these days when the act is never going to stop the score or indeed after its been scored and they just hit them anyway. Refs need to start clamping down on it before a serious injury comes from it
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

waterboy wrote:Too many cheap shots these days when the act is never going to stop the score or indeed after its been scored and they just hit them anyway. Refs need to start clamping down on it before a serious injury comes from it
agreed, theres easy/obvious sanctions there and half the tries go to the TMO anyway

cheers @ATB