Munster 2015/2016

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Munster 2015/2016

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Munster need to look at the reality of their front-row. For two seasons both Cronin and Kilcoyne have appeared only to survive by driving across the opposition THP. Referees and opponents have now copped on and as soon as either tires, penalties flow. At tight-head, Archer works hard but his legs are so far back he is not supporting his body weight. Ryan is technically a better build and, IMO, a decent legal THP who provides a good base for second-row shove.

These are the sort of technical points that Feek or Henshaw (Scrum coach in Connacht) could correct in pre-season. All four players have other skills which are worth holding onto and improving.

These are critical corrections which Munster need asap. Replacing players, who can be improved, is a waste of money and experience. This will happen with Erasmus and people may hail him as a genius. Certainly, the Munster scrum project is soluble and improvement there, coupled with their excellent maul technique, could become the base for major move forward. Get your scrum right and you unleash your back-row to be destroyers.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

rookie wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
rookie wrote:
Where's the irony?
You just brought it rookie
Another one? I'm sure somebody will explain it to ye!
Perhaps my joke was a little too nuanced for you.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

where was this Andrew Conway when he was at Leinster?

Zebo 15 and Conway 14 seems a much better combination, especially in attack
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
rookie
Graduate

Post by rookie »

Peg Leg wrote:
rookie wrote:
Where's the irony?
You just brought it rookie

That was a Joke? Sign up for some english lessons. Link below.

http://www.yourenglish.ie/private-english-courses
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

offshorerules wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:EOS was very quick to blame the refs, well now that hes out of the running for the DoR job
I would have thought that the ability to blame refs (and anyone else for that matter) was a pre-requisite for the Munster DOR job, no?
Leo Cullen blaming the ref again, is he also looking for a move to Munster?
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

simonokeeffe wrote:where was this Andrew Conway when he was at Leinster?

I think that performance was totally redolent of his game against the Ospreys in his last season for Leinster. He had been anonymous/underwhelming all season and then had a good game in our last home match of the regular season.

Conway has been underwhelming for the entire season down there – to be frank, the last three seasons – and his move there hasn't payed off in any significant manner. No massive improvement in his skillset, no increase in his try-scoring to gametime ratio, no trophies, no international recognition.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

hugonaut wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:where was this Andrew Conway when he was at Leinster?

I think that performance was totally redolent of his game against the Ospreys in his last season for Leinster. He had been anonymous/underwhelming all season and then had a good game in our last home match of the regular season.

Conway has been underwhelming for the entire season down there – to be frank, the last three seasons – and his move there hasn't payed off in any significant manner. No massive improvement in his skillset, no increase in his try-scoring to gametime ratio, no trophies, no international recognition.
That is utter tripe, Conway has been like a new signing for Munster this season, he gains good and important yards in attack, and his defence from fullback has been like a player who has always been a fullback.

His try scoring to game time ratio is not great, his average is close to 1 try in 5 games this season, not great, but not extremely poor either.

On the back of his improvement this season, he was called into the 6 nations squad.

Your post reads like it is written by a person who has not actually seen many of Conway's games this season.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

When was he called into the 6 nations squad?
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
rookie
Graduate

Post by rookie »

ribs wrote:When was he called into the 6 nations squad?
http://sportsnewsireland.com/rugby/rugb ... ns-finale/
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

After many injuries :)

Tbf though return to the wing suits him better

Cant read full article due to paywall but going by twitter Sunday Times reports Munster getting the €2.5 million to clear debts from IRFU, on top of same increased funding as other provinces but therell be terms and conditions to it, similar who what Connacht got eg fielding academy (produced) players, last bit according to @Threeredkings
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

simonokeeffe wrote:After many injuries :)

Cant read full article due to paywall but going by twitter Sunday Times reports Munster getting the €2.5 million to clear debts from IRFU, on top of same increased funding as other provinces but therell be terms and conditions to it, similar who what Connacht got eg fielding academy (produced) players, last bit according to @Threeredkings
Imo he has the ability to play both wing and fullback to a reasonable level.

Following the loss of an international fullback(Jones), Munster were always going to struggle to find a replacement, and at the time I wanted to see Zebo moved there permanently, with Earls and Rom on the wings, but I have been pleasantly surprised with how quickly Conway adapted, and made the 15 shirt his own.

Tbh, I'm surprised that the repayments on the stadium haven't been turned into a long term loan, over 20 or even 30 years. I could understand the aggressive repayment strategy when times were good, but now it seems a bit unrealistic.

The irfu wiping out Munster's depth is kind of irrelevant anyway. The irfu own the province, so basically they are just moving money.

Imo I doubt Erasmus would have signed a contract if he was not going to be allowed pick the team, and make a few signings to strengthen the team.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

munster#1 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:After many injuries :)

Imo he has the ability to play both wing and fullback to a reasonable level.

Following the loss of an international fullback(Jones), Munster were always going to struggle to find a replacement, and at the time I wanted to see Zebo moved there permanently, with Earls and Rom on the wings, but I have been pleasantly surprised with how quickly Conway adapted, and made the 15 shirt his own.

Tbh, I'm surprised that the repayments on the stadium haven't been turned into a long term loan, over 20 or even 30 years. I could understand the aggressive repayment strategy when times were good, but now it seems a bit unrealistic.

The irfu wiping out Munster's depth is kind of irrelevant anyway. The irfu own the province, so basically they are just moving money.

Imo I doubt Erasmus would have signed a contract if he was not going to be allowed pick the team, and make a few signings to strengthen the team.
not to be bland but hopefully they get some good signings, as do the rest of us

mainly with ireland in mind and reverting to 11 would be easy enough for him at any level I hope Zebo stays at 15 for next season
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Munster need to look at the reality of their front-row. For two seasons both Cronin and Kilcoyne have appeared only to survive by driving across the opposition THP. Referees and opponents have now copped on and as soon as either tires, penalties flow. At tight-head, Archer works hard but his legs are so far back he is not supporting his body weight. Ryan is technically a better build and, IMO, a decent legal THP who provides a good base for second-row shove.

These are the sort of technical points that Feek or Henshaw (Scrum coach in Connacht) could correct in pre-season. All four players have other skills which are worth holding onto and improving.

These are critical corrections which Munster need asap. Replacing players, who can be improved, is a waste of money and experience. This will happen with Erasmus and people may hail him as a genius. Certainly, the Munster scrum project is soluble and improvement there, coupled with their excellent maul technique, could become the base for major move forward. Get your scrum right and you unleash your back-row to be destroyers.
Cronin flattered to deceive for a while at first, or perhaps he used to be a better scrummager, but Kilcoyne as an absolute donkey, his scrummaging consists of constant collapses and trying to break even on the penalty count. He's the scrummaging equivalent of a filthy player who cheats and attempts to trick the ref at every opportunity. A classic Munster man, but it's very annoying when he gets away with it and in general Leinster have failed to punish it enough. Whilst players like Ross have always been good at holding a scrum solid, he's never been good at attacking an opposition scrum. What amazed me in the Northampton final was it seemed Leinster changed tactic from trying to hold a scrum solid to attacking an opposition scrum and ended up destroying it. I don't know why we don't try to use the scrum as a weapon more as it seems when we really go after it, we're capable of destroying the opposition on occasion.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

COYBIB wrote:hilst players like Ross have always been good at holding a scrum solid, he's never been good at attacking an opposition scrum. What amazed me in the Northampton final was it seemed Leinster changed tactic from trying to hold a scrum solid to attacking an opposition scrum and ended up destroying it. I don't know why we don't try to use the scrum as a weapon more as it seems when we really go after it, we're capable of destroying the opposition on occasion.
It very much depends on the referee. If a referee isn't keeping an eye on early shoves or straight scrummaging you can generally go on the offensive with a scrum - back when I played LH I would generally be able to wheel a scrum (legally in my view as I was able to push my prop back faster than my TH could) but depending on the referee we'd either get a turnover scrum or a penalty against us for deliberately wheeling. If it's the second, there would be no point in me continuing to employ the tactic and I would conserve my energy and focus solely on securing my own scrum and stopping the opposition from getting a drive on.

A lot of the traditionally scrum focused teams get away with more because the general feeling is that they've beaten the opposition scrum because they're stronger, not because of any possibly illegal tactics. Irish sides are traditionally not viewed this way.
Anyone But New Zealand
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Munster: Simon Zebo; Andrew Conway, Francis Saili, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Johnny Holland, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; Dave Foley, Billy Holland; Dave O'Callaghan, Tommy O'Donnell, CJ Stander - capt.

Replacements: Mike Sherry, James Cronin, John Ryan, Robin Copeland, Jack O'Donoghue, Duncan Williams, Ian Keatley, Ronan O'Mahony.

15 Liam Williams, 14 Gareth Owen, 13 Steff Hughes, 12 Hadeigh Parkes, 11 Steff Evans 10 Steve Shingler 9 Aled Davies, 1 Rob Evans, 2 Ken Owens ©, 3 Peter Edwards, 4 Jake Ball, 5 David Bulbring, 6 Lewis Rawlins, 7 James Davies, 8 John Barclay

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Dylan Evans, Rhodri Jones, Tom Price, Morgan Allen, Gareth Davies, Aled Thomas, Michael Tagicakibau

Unavailable through injury: Emyr Phillips (knee), Tom Williams (shoulder), Aaron Shingler (concussion), DTH van der Merwe (shoulder), Samson Lee (concussion), Mike Collins (hamstring), Scott Williams (hamstring)
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Enjoy the holidays Munster.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

Well done to Munster. Great to see all four Irish provinces in Champions Cup next season.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Angelsea Angst wrote:Well done to Munster. Great to see all four Irish provinces in Champions Cup next season.
Glad they made it, could be one pig of a draw, but sure big nasty teams will sell more tickets
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Well season over a few weeks too early for Munster, just like for Leinster last season.
Many negatives this season as have been constantly written about on here, some warrented, and many exaggerated.

Munster lost one game more than Leinster did this season, which kind of puts both teams season into context.

A big positive about all the negative reports, is that Munster and the irfu were forced to do something, and imo the changes coming are better than I could have hoped, and imo the changes are required. Had we won one or 2 more games, we may not have seen Erasmus coming in, we may not have seen the likes of Walsh and mod step aside.

Going into next season I look forward to seeing who Erasmus decides to bring in in both the coaching staff, and playing staff.

I have said a fair few times on here, that I believe that Munster have the makings of a serious back line, especially with the emergence of scannel and most recently Holland. Imo Ronan o Mahoney has the makings of a top class winger, and he along with sweetnam and Fitzgerald will hopefully push on.

In the pack I would like to see a big wedge of money spent on a top class tight head, and hopefully we get Ryan, pom, and TOD to manage to stay fit for a good stretch.
I hope to see Madigan start off where he did this season, and push his way into the match day squad.

My biggest target would be to get Dillane to commit to returning to Munster asap.
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

Erasmus, unlike Penny, will certainly have a free hand to impose a new style of play in Munster. Keith Wood et al will not be able to campaign in the media for his removal on the basis that his style ' is just not the Munster way'.