Munster 2015/2016

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Munster 2015/2016

Post by Dave Cahill »

blockhead wrote:
Ah yes, yesteryear. These days though, Munster are the sick man of Irish rugby. They need a lot of help. Agree with a previous poster about playing it in the Aviva. Twice the return. The money the Munster branch get from this they would have got anyway from the IRFU. This way however its not leeched off the other 3 provinces.
I doubt Munster will see a cent from this game, the revenue it generates, if any, will be used to pay down debt.

But its a good point you make about it taking the pressure off the successful provinces
I have Bumbleflex
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

blockhead wrote:
munster#1 wrote:Munster have a very good tradition of playing these touring sides, and playing well, registering some very impressive victories.

You just have to do a short search to see how well the last all blacks match was received in NZ. And having met many kiwis, I have been surprised about how many know about the 1978 game.

Having a strong tradition of providing competitive opposition and a great atmosphere, and a world class stadium is probably worth more than current standing in a league that not many outside of Europe would be aware of.
Ah yes, yesteryear. These days though, Munster are the sick man of Irish rugby. They need a lot of help. Agree with a previous poster about playing it in the Aviva. Twice the return. The money the Munster branch get from this they would have got anyway from the IRFU. This way however its not leeched off the other 3 provinces.
I can only assume that you have proof that this game is a hand out from the irfu, and that it isn't something that the all blacks/New Zealand wanted?

The sick man of Irish rugby? Munster had a poor season, but for all the bravado the other 3 provinces are not that far ahead, and worth remembering that Leinster were one of the worst teams in Europe this season, and were well off the mark in the league last season, so people in glass houses and all that.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

COYBIB wrote:Would the IRFU not have preferred 52,000 tickets sold? They prop up Munster anyway, so could send the money down anyway, but with more left over for everyone else, plus the small matter of letting the Leinster fans play against one of the big three southern hemisphere sides for the first time in a quarter of a century... not in the life time of many, many fans who attend the RDS week in and week out, whilst we just signed a player who's still dining out on their last big southern hemisphere clash, how recent it is.

Very disappointing, Leinster historically get snubbed for all the touring games as traditionally the Dublin leg of the tour was reserved for the match with the national team, but in modern tours it's very different.

I have absolutely zero doubt this would have sold out the Aviva.

Having said all that, this is an IRFU call and I'm happy for Munster that at least somebody gets to play these exhibition matches, one of the sadly many great aspects of the game lost to professionalism. (many great aspect gain too, of course).

It would have been nice if the Fiji and Barbarians game was instead those two teams against provinces also.
I'd say its more like an Adidas call. Its in their interests that Munster sell plenty of jerseys. Can't wait to see the promotional videos of it from them.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

The move the IRFU are giving to Munster is coming with conditions attacked. Apparently Nucifora has told them they have to follow the Connacht model of bringing through academy players. IMO that means they will cut the fat off the squad and let academy players play when there are injuries.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

munster#1 wrote:
blockhead wrote:
munster#1 wrote:Munster have a very good tradition of playing these touring sides, and playing well, registering some very impressive victories.

You just have to do a short search to see how well the last all blacks match was received in NZ. And having met many kiwis, I have been surprised about how many know about the 1978 game.

Having a strong tradition of providing competitive opposition and a great atmosphere, and a world class stadium is probably worth more than current standing in a league that not many outside of Europe would be aware of.
I can only assume that you have proof that this game is a hand out from the irfu, and that it isn't something that the all blacks/New Zealand wanted?

The sick man of Irish rugby? Munster had a poor season, but for all the bravado the other 3 provinces are not that far ahead, and worth remembering that Leinster were one of the worst teams in Europe this season, and were well off the mark in the league last season, so people in glass houses and all that.
GFitz said it himself.
“In what will be a first encounter for these sides we are really looking forward to the fixture and would like to thank NZR and the IRFU for their efforts in bringing negotiations to a successful conclusion.”
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

All Garrett Fitzgerald said there is that the club's owners (the IRFU) and the national body of the team they will be playing(NZR) had negotiations.

Do you believe that in normal circumstances that the irfu would not deal with these negotiations?
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

blockhead wrote:
munster#1 wrote:
blockhead wrote:

GFitz said it himself.
“In what will be a first encounter for these sides we are really looking forward to the fixture and would like to thank NZR and the IRFU for their efforts in bringing negotiations to a successful conclusion.”
IRFU have blocked touring teams fairly recently (Australia), so I suppose the IRFU have done Munster a 'favour'.

The IRFU pulled the rug from under Munster's feet by flogging the name rights of Lansdowne Rd to Aviva which meant that no minor internationals could be played outside Dublin which had been the plan originally.

I see the New Stadium Co most recent annual report states losses of just under 2m, so Munster are not the only stadium owners to find the going difficult at the moment.
Not_Today
Bookworm

Post by Not_Today »

The IRFU have to grant the permission for Munster to host a game outside of the normal competitive & preseason games. That doesn't mean it's a hand out.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Munster announce/confirm 6 departing players

Botha, Coghlan, S Buckley, Sheridan, Hurley, GVDH

GVDH IQ now so IMO Connacht should nab him
Feel bad for Sheridan but hes had a lot of injury (related) problems

leaves them a bit thin on back 3 players especially during international windows

Zebo, Conway, Earls, ROM, Wooton, Sweetnam,
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

simonokeeffe wrote:Munster announce/confirm 6 departing players

leaves them a bit thin on back 3 players especially during international windows

Imo this could be a good thing for Buckley and Sheridan, both players could well go on to become first choice players in England.

Vdh, has the ability to become a class player, but injury ruined his time at Munster.

As for back 3, I think we will be fine. Hopefully we will get to see plenty of Fitzgerald and O Shea.

Also, I have heard that Chisholm may have to retire. If true it will mean that 3 niq players will be moving on, two of whom will free up a lot of cash.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

munster#1 wrote:

Imo this could be a good thing for Buckley and Sheridan, both players could well go on to become first choice players in England.

Vdh, has the ability to become a class player, but injury ruined his time at Munster.

As for back 3, I think we will be fine. Hopefully we will get to see plenty of Fitzgerald and O Shea.

Also, I have heard that Chisholm may have to retire. If true it will mean that 3 niq players will be moving on, two of whom will free up a lot of cash.
if the academy guys are good then everyones happy

cant see you being allowed another lock so will be interesting where youre allowed sign NIQs
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

simonokeeffe wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

if the academy guys are good then everyones happy

cant see you being allowed another lock so will be interesting where youre allowed sign NIQs
I wouldn't like to see Munster sign another lock, imo there is more than enough talent there, and hopefully we see Dillane return soon.

I would hope we will get a big name tight head, but we're probably more likely to see Erasmus bring a project player instead. His former position will come in very usefull.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

A backup 9 would be golden too but doubt Nucifora would allow 3 provinces to have NIQ 9s

Indo says Felix Jones will join Rassie's backroom team
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

simonokeeffe wrote:A backup 9 would be golden too but doubt Nucifora would allow 3 provinces to have NIQ 9s

A back up 9 would be good, but as you say, it is unlikely it will happen.

Imo this season's implosion may be the best thing that could of happened to Munster. The irfu have recognized that Munster require bums on seats to be cost effective. To do this Munster require one or 2 big names brought in, and imo it should be a tight head, and although I am a fan of Holland, I would like to see an international 10 brought in.

With the players that have left, the additional match announced yesterday, and the writing off of the running debt, Munster are probably in a good position to be looking for big names.

Jones has been working with Munster a fair bit since his retirment, and the feed back seems good.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

With the players that have left and the additional match Munster might have a chance to appoint a quality backroom plus Foley and then break even.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

simonokeeffe wrote:A backup 9 would be golden too but doubt Nucifora would allow 3 provinces to have NIQ 9s

Not Rassie's backroom staff - a Development Officer & Skills coach for the Province including identification of talent. It seems all Provinces are getting one of these.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

munster#1 wrote:

Imo this season's implosion may be the best thing that could of happened to Munster. The irfu have recognized that Munster require bums on seats to be cost effective. To do this Munster require one or 2 big names brought in, and imo it should be a tight head, and although I am a fan of Holland, I would like to see an international 10 brought in.

With the players that have left, the additional match announced yesterday, and the writing off of the running debt, Munster are probably in a good position to be looking for big names.

Jones has been working with Munster a fair bit since his retirment, and the feed back seems good.
Having just had the debt written off signing big names is surely out of the question I would have thought, no?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

munster#1 wrote:

Therell be some turnover next summer too with Saili and TB out of contract (or IQ) so Rassie in theory would have most of the NIQ spots to work with, Chisholm gone this summer next too

Dennis Hurley says he intends to keep playing pro rugby
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Munster must surely be expecting a handful of signings to be announced? Looking at their squad for next season, it's absolutely brutal. They have about 6 international quality players and that's it. Depth is their major issue though, front 5 is really bad, decent back-row options, nothing at half-backs beyond Murray and a fingers crossed punt in Holland, back-three is very tame looking, centre not bad with Arnold coming in..but a lot of hope rather than established quality through the first team, let alone the squad.

They just have the one NIQ spot to play with too.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

COYBIB wrote:Munster must surely be expecting a handful of signings to be announced? Looking at their squad for next season, it's absolutely brutal. They have about 6 international quality players and that's it. Depth is their major issue though, front 5 is really bad, decent back-row options, nothing at half-backs beyond Murray and a fingers crossed punt in Holland, back-three is very tame looking, centre not bad with Arnold coming in..but a lot of hope rather than established quality through the first team, let alone the squad.

They just have the one NIQ spot to play with too.
Angry Face being out for the season was massive hit for them leadership wise, coupled with POC going all they had left were Standers heroics. POM will make a difference next season which the new DOR will reap.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian