Munster 2015/2016

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Munster 2015/2016

Post by blockhead »

From the Warriors website.
Warriors sign Ireland legend O'Callaghan
3 September 2015 08:50
By Tom Vale

Warriors can today confirm the signing of Ireland international Donncha O'Callaghan.
The giant lock moves to Sixways after 17 seasons and over 270 competitive appearances with Irish province Munster.

O'Callaghan has represented Ireland 94 times along with four appearances for the British & Irish Lions.

During a glittering career to date, O'Callaghan won the Six Nations Grand Slam with Ireland in 2009 while also picking up two Heineken Cup titles and two Magners League titles with Munster.

He also captained the Lions in South Africa in 2009 and featured in three consecutive World Cups - the last of which in 2011 where he started in all of Ireland's matches.

He said: "I'm very grateful to Munster for all that they've done for me but now I'm hungry for my new challenge.

"The developments and structures in place at Warriors are very exciting but also the quality of management and the players at the Club are something I cannot wait to be a part of.

"I watched the Bristol game where Warriors turned it around in the last seven minutes at the end of last season, and that was really impressive.

"Now I'm looking to win the respect of the management, the players and most importantly, the supporters, and I will be giving my absolute all."

The ex-Munster man also played for the Barbarians in their win over England in 2014, when Dean Ryan was Head Coach.

Off the field, O'Callaghan is also an Ambassador for UNICEF Ireland.

Warriors Director of Rugby Dean Ryan added: "The opportunity to bring someone in with such international and European experience is a real coup for the Club.

"It's important to get a balance of proven and experienced performers and young developing talent integrated within the squad.

"Donncha has tremendous know-how at the highest level and will be able to offer our younger players a great deal of advice.

"His experience and leadership can only be of benefit to the team as we prepare for life in the Aviva Premiership."
Sounds like the move has been planned since last season.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

Rte website

While in the red of Munster he won two Heineken Cups, in 2006 and 2008, and six Celtic League titles in it's different guises.

:?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

bronxbull wrote:Rte website

While in the red of Munster he won two Heineken Cups, in 2006 and 2008, and six Celtic League titles in it's different guises.

:?
The internet says 3 Celtic leagues and a Celtic Cup
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Worcester Warriors wrote:two Magners League titles with Munster.
RTE wrote: While in the red of Munster he won six Celtic League titles in it's different guises.
The internet wrote: 3 Celtic leagues and a Celtic Cup
Looks like nobody gives a flyin burrito brother about the Celtic/Magners League/Rabo/Guinness Pro12 then.
Pedantic People wrote:1 Celtic League. 1 Celtic Cup. 1 Magners League. 1 Rabo Pro 12.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

johng wrote:
Worcester Warriors wrote:two Magners League titles with Munster.
RTE wrote: While in the red of Munster he won six Celtic League titles in it's different guises.
The internet wrote: 3 Celtic leagues and a Celtic Cup
Looks like nobody gives a flyin burrito brother about the Celtic/Magners League/Rabo/Guinness Pro12 then.
Pedantic People wrote:1 Celtic League. 1 Celtic Cup. 1 Magners League. 1 Rabo Pro 12.
and what about the partridge?

Fair weather to him - I hope he nails it over there (here). I'll even make the effort to go and see him play when he rambles up this end.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Munster: Felix Jones; Andrew Conway, David Johnston, Rory Scannell, Shane Monahan; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams; James Cronin, Mike Sherry, BJ Botha; John Madigan, Dave Foley; Dave O'Callaghan, Jack O'Donoghue, CJ Stander - capt.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, John Ryan, Stephen Archer, Robin Copeland, Shane Buckley, Cathal Sheridan, Tyler Bleyendaal, Cian Bohane.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Munster have quite a pack for these games during the worldcup. How many matches before other teams get their players back? I think Munster will be out of sight at the top of the table by that time.
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Looking forward to seeing Madigan, can't remember seeing him play before but he has a big reputation in an area that we need players in. DOC and POC being allowed to leave bodes well in that regard.

Apologies if this has been covered but anyone know what the story with Cronin's move to TH is? Kilcoyne must still be with Ireland.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Apologies if this has been covered but anyone know what the story with Cronin's move to TH is? Kilcoyne must still be with Ireland.
The only thing I can think is that they've finally admitted to themselves that Stephen Archer isn't really up to standard. If Cronin can make the transition, which is far from certain as it's a much easier conversion going the other way, then they can start their two best props.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He's starting at LH tomorrow though, I thought the idea was that he'd make the switch over the summer?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

a few of the Munster guys said they thought the move would happen after world cup (as they thought Killer would be away)
John Ryan is their best scrummager and is too good to be 3rd choice

Be interetsing to see how JOD goes at 7, Copeland covering second row from bench
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Munster will be signing a prop after the world cup from what I've heard.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

simonokeeffe wrote:a few of the Munster guys said they thought the move would happen after world cup (as they thought Killer would be away)
John Ryan is their best scrummager and is too good to be 3rd choice

Be interetsing to see how JOD goes at 7, Copeland covering second row from bench

Jod is an immense talent, and with pom and tod away for a while, he will get his opportunity.

John Ryan was a massive find last season, he stepped in with little experience, and looked like a guy who had played hc for years.

His only downside is that he is like Ross, great in the scrum but not so great in the loose.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thanks for that info about Cronin. Seems like a stupid idea to me though, I'd have thought that they would work him very hard in pre season and then see how he goes now when other teams are weakened, especially when there was the chance Kilcoyne would be around.

I did a bit of a player cam on Madigan in the first half. Really impressive in everything he did, but very very slow to fill in defensively leaving massive gaps between him and the guy next to him. It was partcularly bad whenever he was beside Botha. Don't think Treviso caught him out but if they just go open for a few phases and then throw an inside ball down his channel then they'll cause havoc.
rookie
Graduate

Post by rookie »

Jesus! Munster looked like they were handling the ball for the first time since last season. Knock ons all over the place. The substitutions made a bad performance worse. They certainly had a type of impact. Away to the Ospreys next week. That should be a right laugh altogether!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Not trying to open old wounds but no freaking way was Stander Man of the Match, Scannell by a mile

If Scannell keeps up that form they wont have too many centre problems in the league
Interesting he started but TB got a half an hour at 10

Copeland might/should be off to Galway next season if hes that low down the pecking order (and stays there)
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Outside of scoring I didn't really notice Stander too much. Badly missed a tackle for the Treviso try too.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Outside of scoring I didn't really notice Stander too much. Badly missed a tackle for the Treviso try too.
yup that one was up there with Bowes.
He took the first try well to be fair. Felt a bit like when somebody wins 15-9 and they just give MoM to the kicker for the sake of it. Cronin had a bigger and better game too
BlueStreak
Knowledgeable

Post by BlueStreak »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Outside of scoring I didn't really notice Stander too much. Badly missed a tackle for the Treviso try too.
He reminds me a bit of a lot of the pacific island / kiwi back rows that end up in this part of the world. Good carrier, puts in the odd big hit but not much else to his game. I have a feeling he would struggle at international level
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Ah now, ye are making things up now. Stander is generally one of munster top tacklers/carries/meters run, along with that he is brilliant at the back of a scrum even when the scrum is being pushed back.

Check out stats or watch a match before making claims that all he does is score tries.