Ulster 2015/16

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Ulster 2015/16

Post by paddyor »

Oh amd Ulster did request cover for Coatzee and were told no from what i heard. He wasnt the only injury problem they had in the backrow.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

paddyor wrote:Oh amd Ulster did request cover for Coatzee and were told no from what i heard. He wasnt the only injury problem they had in the backrow.
I believe they were told to use the existing squad.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

neill_m wrote:
paddyor wrote:Oh amd Ulster did request cover for Coatzee and were told no from what i heard. He wasnt the only injury problem they had in the backrow.
I believe they were told to use the existing squad.
Neil Doak came out and said they haven't requested anyone as they are looking at next season too. So probably eying a guy for next season.
As I said Paddy seems to just have an agenda against Munster to dampen it all he's got it wrong.
Munster got help because of European campaign which is key to IRFU. Leinster the exact same regarding Thorn.if Ulster were still in Europe they'd have a guy. But see league as a time to blood and well are probably confident in what they have
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

MunsterSugar wrote: Read press release again. Was signed to replace Sykes AND as medical cover for Cullen injury.
So again as I've been accused of moving goalposts. Maybe stick to what ye preach here. Either both are simple "signings to replace a NIQ" or "Medical joker". Both were done in same vein.
So again it's great Munster AND Leinster got equal treatment and hopefully Ulster do too if they require it.
I don't need to read anything. I know when he was signed and I know why he was signed. He was signed to replace Sykes and the deal was done long before Cullen's got injured
I have Bumbleflex
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Dave Cahill wrote:
MunsterSugar wrote: Read press release again. Was signed to replace Sykes AND as medical cover for Cullen injury.
So again as I've been accused of moving goalposts. Maybe stick to what ye preach here. Either both are simple "signings to replace a NIQ" or "Medical joker". Both were done in same vein.
So again it's great Munster AND Leinster got equal treatment and hopefully Ulster do too if they require it.
I don't need to read anything. I know when he was signed and I know why he was signed. He was signed to replace Sykes and the deal was done long before Cullen's got injured
Sure Dave and any more when ye talk about moving goal posts to suit arguments remember here as your doing such a fine job. There's not much difference in terms of Deysel deal and Thorn. Both were right calls.
So if Munster got preferential treatment on deal, Leinster got same deal and Ulster too.

And as I said you can keep telling yourself there was differences but facts are there. If you choose not to read fair enough but don't say about "moving goalposts" then doing exact thing. I'm going to accept Leinster Rugbys saying of "Thorn was signed due to Sykes departure and Cullen's injury" over you saying different if that OK.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Of course it's okay. You're wrong about pretty much everything else so you you may as well be comprehensive in your ignorance
I have Bumbleflex
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I would love if what Dave is saying was true, as this would mean that Leinster were given permission to sign a world class lock to replace a squad player.
This would mean that Leinster were afforded an opportunity that no other province could dream of.

This would be akin to Munster being allowed sign Dan Carter to replace keatley. Or even closer whitelock to replace Dave Foley.

Unfortunately Thorn was signed after Leo had his surgery, which means I can not climb onto my high horse on this occasion.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Dave Cahill wrote:Of course it's okay. You're wrong about pretty much everything else so you you may as well be comprehensive in your ignorance
Sure Dave. Keep telling yourself that. I guess believing an official press release is wrong so. Thing is I've backed up with proof.

You've offered nothing in return. So yeah I'll be ok and you keep changing it to suit your agenda
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

munster#1 wrote:I would love if what Dave is saying was true, as this would mean that Leinster were given permission to sign a world class lock to replace a squad player.
This would mean that Leinster were afforded an opportunity that no other province could dream of.

This would be akin to Munster being allowed sign Dan Carter to replace keatley. Or even closer whitelock to replace Dave Foley.

Unfortunately Thorn was signed after Leo had his surgery, which means I can not climb onto my high horse on this occasion.
Squad Player? Sykes was our marquee signing that summer, a regular for the Sharks who had played for Emerging Springboks against the Lions, he was signed to replace Nathan Hines - one of the best foreign players to play in Ireland. That it didn't work out is well documented, but to say he was a squad player is patently ridiculous - its like saying CJ Stander was signed to be a squad player
I have Bumbleflex
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Dave Cahill wrote:
munster#1 wrote:I would love if what Dave is saying was true, as this would mean that Leinster were given permission to sign a world class lock to replace a squad player.

Squad Player? Sykes was our marquee signing that summer, a regular for the Sharks who had played for Emerging Springboks against the Lions, he was signed to replace Nathan Hines - one of the best foreign players to play in Ireland. That it didn't work out is well documented, but to say he was a squad player is patently ridiculous - its like saying CJ Stander was signed to be a squad player
CJ Stander was signed as squad player
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Dave Cahill wrote:

CJ, like Sykes was a squad player when signed. Both signed with a long term view rather than a quick fix, and both failed to establish themselves in their first season, as has been the case with many, if not most young project players.

Claiming that any player with a single cap for the emerging boks is a marquee signing, or implying that he was going to take over where Hines left off, does absolutely nothing for your credibility.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

MunsterSugar wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

And like Thorn being signed to replace Leo, that has been well documented.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

MunsterSugar wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

Dave was right, you really are wrong about pretty much everything. Stander was a hugely exciting signing, I remember the buzz around him. He was a young player who'd captained the SA U20s, gotten over 50 caps for his province and was a S15 regular. He was seen as as good a bet as you could expect that Munster had signed a future international starter.

The talk about him taking Heaslip's place for Ireland started before he'd played a game for Munster.

He won man of the match on his first start and scored 3 tries in his first 4 caps.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

munster#1 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

CJ, like Sykes was a squad player when signed. Both signed with a long term view rather than a quick fix, and both failed to establish themselves in their first season, as has been the case with many, if not most young project players.

Claiming that any player with a single cap for the emerging boks is a marquee signing, or implying that he was going to take over where Hines left off, does absolutely nothing for your credibility.
CJ was signed with hope of playing for Ireland. As was Peter Borlaise. It was never thought he'd become as good as he is. Like Leinster signed Sykes and Quinn Roux. It was hoped he'd be the answer to lock issues.
I think Dave will move goalposts to suit himself but anyone who thinks Sykes is a marquee player well then enough said. And to put him even in same bracket as a Brad Thorn or Nathan Hines says enough.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

ronk wrote:
Dave was right, you really are wrong about pretty much everything. Stander was a hugely exciting signing, I remember the buzz around him. He was a young player who'd captained the SA U20s, gotten over 50 caps for his province and was a S15 regular. He was seen as as good a bet as you could expect that Munster had signed a future international starter.

The talk about him taking Heaslip's place for Ireland started before he'd played a game for Munster.

He won man of the match on his first start and scored 3 tries in his first 4 caps.
Absolutely Ronk.

Sykes was supposed to be a big signing for us, it obviously didn't work out. As I have pointed out before, he was back in South Africa and playing Super Rugby again [24/02/12 - source: http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player-zoom-2 ... arter.html ] before Thorn played his first match for us [23/03/12 - source: http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player_2638.html ].

Now people can make up as much bullsh*t as they want around that, but those are the facts. We terminated Sykes' contract, and thus had a free NIQ slot. We used Greg Feek and Jonno Gibbes' influence to convince Thorn to come here, okayed it with the then national head coach [Kidney] and director of rugby [Wigglesworth] and it worked out great.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

ronk wrote:
MunsterSugar wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: Squad Player? Sykes was our marquee signing that summer, a regular for the Sharks who had played for Emerging Springboks against the Lions, he was signed to replace Nathan Hines - one of the best foreign players to play in Ireland. That it didn't work out is well documented, but to say he was a squad player is patently ridiculous - its like saying CJ Stander was signed to be a squad player

Again. If it was so certain then why did he nearly leave from being out of team so long. He was signed yes with hope. But as a guaranteed bet. No. And not 1 person in Munster said much before he arrived simply as noone had seen or known much on him.
And if I'm so wrong explain so why he nearly left?
Like everyone is great here for saying I'm wrong but no actual fact given.

I think Dave showed he hasn't clue. And if ye want to kid yourselves here to try make it Munster get everything and Leinster don't. Fair enough as it's literally onlynhere thinks it and better again picks and chooses facts.

And had quick look there when Stander signed most reports saying who he is etc none mentioned anything about taking Heaslips spot. Especially since it seems like he was a 6 more than 8.

So for once can someone actually back it up with proof?
Or is this the group thing here I haven't learnt. Sprout cr@p and then when we get tested on it say x y and z.

So if I'm so wrong happily say what and show a link or something.

Lets not beat around bush - simply prove ye are right is my challenge if anyone has balls to do it.
Last edited by MunsterSugar on March 18th, 2017, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

hugonaut wrote:
ronk wrote:

Absolutely Ronk.

Sykes was supposed to be a big signing for us, it obviously didn't work out. As I have pointed out before, he was back in South Africa and playing Super Rugby again [24/02/12 - source: http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player-zoom-2 ... arter.html ] before Thorn played his first match for us [23/03/12 - source: http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player_2638.html ].

Now people can make up as much bullsh*t as they want around that, but those are the facts. We terminated Sykes' contract, and thus had a free NIQ slot. We used Greg Feek and Jonno Gibbes' influence to convince Thorn to come here, okayed it with the then national head coach [Kidney] and director of rugby [Wigglesworth] and it worked out great.
But nobody is disputing that. But would you say he was established and on the €300k a year big marquee guys would be on?
I doubt it. Of course he was NIQ project.
Of course ye were right to sign a replacement when he left. Nobody is arguing that. But on offical Press Release it says cover for Cullen and Sykes leaving.
Can someone answer where I'm wrong?
Nobody mentioned any battle here on NIQ.
According to Leinster he was signed to replace Sykes short term AND cover Cullens injury.
So Dave is saying Cullens injury had nothing to do with it. Then why would Leinster say it?
And on this Hugonaut - I'm sure Munster did exact same process. So why bitch and moan about Munster
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Is it worth pointing out that Thorn and Cullen played opposite sides?

But you know, some press person's spin is obviously more important than facts.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

fourthirtythree wrote:Is it worth pointing out that Thorn and Cullen played opposite sides?

But you know, some press person's spin is obviously more important than facts.
As was obvious when they played together but hey as I say move posts as ye wish. Leinster are victims sure bailing us out.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Was Thorn the 10th NIQ leinster brought in?

Will be interesting to see if Ulster are allowed bring in a joker. Theyre likely to face Munster in the playoffs
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles