Ulster 2015/16

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Ulster 2015/16 (Power Sharing)

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Movement in Ulster and Leinster will become much more an issue of quality game time for the players Nucifora rates in his National rankings. Once contracts come for renewal, they may have a specified Province, regardless of origin, like NZ.

Nucifora is on record as saying that IRFU System is as good as any where but they don't optimise the opportunities / authority they have. Player movement is the obvious reference. Provincial Coaches and CEO's won't like it, but it is the logical development pathway for best 120 Irish players.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ospreys didn't really turn up but I was impressed with Ulster. Nelson was far better than I'd imagined he'd be. Even with finding out about him playing ten before I didn't expect him to do so well because I never thought he was a particularly good footballer. Threw some lovely passes to put people away and kicked brilliantly out of hand.

Thought they looked really good defensively. Plenty of times where Marshall and Nelson found themselves defending at 13 and read the situation really well to shoot up and shut down an attack. I know Marshall was actually playing 13 but it's not like it's his natural position.

Three of the scores were brilliant. Don't think Trimble was at his best but he made a couple of scintillating breaks and showed the power that Ireland will be missing. McCloskey looks like the real deal, so hard to stop but he has more than just power and he works really hard. Noticed Ulster were constantly trying to disrupt the breakdown which was impressive given it was the first game, nobody looked too tired to keep it up. Nick Williams looked far more like the good version of himself and that makes a massive difference to how their back row operates.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:Unbelievable try from McCluskey with assistance from his mate Hugh.

Last name Jandoff
I believe in this circumstance we can use the word Beastmode with dignity
lovely big skip pass from him to create an overlap too in first half
McCloskey and Henshaw will make a handy combo at the next world cup :wink:
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Aird2

Post by Aird2 »

I understand the concept of power sharing but so far you have not demonstrated the benifits for Ulster.
Who are you proposing to offer in exchange or as you put it share with Ulster it seems that all roads lead to Dublin and you may find that unlike your past dealings with Connacht it may not be just a question of off loading some of your surplus academy players.
As you have so many Backrow players how about Connan or Ruddock coming North.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Aird2 wrote:I understand the concept of power sharing but so far you have not demonstrated the benifits for Ulster.
Who are you proposing to offer in exchange or as you put it share with Ulster it seems that all roads lead to Dublin and you may find that unlike your past dealings with Connacht it may not be just a question of off loading some of your surplus academy players.
See OP of this and the other ulster 15/16 thread.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Ulster 2015/16

Post by All Blacks nil »

Great start from Ulster.
A valuable BP win v Ospreys
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:
Aird2 wrote:I understand the concept of power sharing but so far you have not demonstrated the benifits for Ulster.
See OP of this and the other ulster 15/16 thread.
there's a third Ulster 2015/16 thread too now :D
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Post by darkside lighteside »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Ospreys didn't really turn up but I was impressed with Ulster. Nelson was far better than I'd imagined he'd be. Even with finding out about him playing ten before I didn't expect him to do so well because I never thought he was a particularly good footballer. Threw some lovely passes to put people away and kicked brilliantly out of hand.
I was very pleasantly surprised, I have always liked Nelson as a player, but with the exception of one strange pass to nobody, his distribution and kicking from hand were very good - and if this performance proves not to be a flash in the pan, he could be one of those rare and lovely creatures (in Irish rugby at least), an out-half who can tackle!
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ulster 2015/16

Post by neill_m »

Ulster team & replacements to play Scarlets, Guinness PRO12, Parc Y Scarlets, Saturday 12th September (3pm kick off):

(15-9): Louis Ludik, Craig Gilroy, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Rory Scholes, Peter Nelson, Paul Marshall; (1-8): Andrew Warwick, Rob Herring (Captain), Wiehahn Herbst, Peter Browne, Franco Van der Merwe, Roger Wilson, Willie Faloon, Nick Williams; Replacements (16-23): John Andrew, Callum Black, Ricky Lutton, Robbie Diack, Clive Ross, David Shanahan, Sam Arnold, David Busby.

Trimble out injured - sore hip.

Same starting XV for the Scarlets. The only change comes on the replacements bench with scrum half Rhodri Williams unavailable due to concussion. Last weekend's man of the match John Barclay has been named captain for Saturday's clash.

15 Steffan Evans, 14 Hadleigh Parkes, 13 Regan King, 12 Gareth Owen, 11 Michael Tagicakibau, 10 Daniel Jones, 9 Aled Davies, 1 Phil John, 2 Emyr Phillips, 3 Peter Edwards, 4 Tom Price, 5 Lewis Rawlins, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 James Davies, 8 John Barclay ©

Replacements: Kirby Myhill, Rob Evans, Will Taylor, George Earle, Rory Pitman, Kieran Hardy, Aled Thomas, Tom Williams
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neill_m wrote:Ulster team & replacements to play Scarlets, Guinness PRO12, Parc Y Scarlets, Saturday 12th September (3pm kick off):

(15-9): Louis Ludik, Craig Gilroy, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Rory Scholes, Peter Nelson, Paul Marshall; (1-8): Andrew Warwick, Rob Herring (Captain), Wiehahn Herbst, Peter Browne, Franco Van der Merwe, Roger Wilson, Willie Faloon, Nick Williams; Replacements (16-23): John Andrew, Callum Black, Ricky Lutton, Robbie Diack, Clive Ross, David Shanahan, Sam Arnold, David Busby.

Same starting XV for the Scarlets. The only change comes on the replacements bench with scrum half Rhodri Williams unavailable due to concussion. Last weekend's man of the match John Barclay has been named captain for Saturday's clash.

15 Steffan Evans, 14 Hadleigh Parkes, 13 Regan King, 12 Gareth Owen, 11 Michael Tagicakibau, 10 Daniel Jones, 9 Aled Davies, 1 Phil John, 2 Emyr Phillips, 3 Peter Edwards, 4 Tom Price, 5 Lewis Rawlins, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 James Davies, 8 John Barclay ©

Replacements: Kirby Myhill, Rob Evans, Will Taylor, George Earle, Rory Pitman, Kieran Hardy, Aled Thomas, Tom Williams
2 good 3/4 lines but youd think Ulster have them in the front five, could be high scoring this one
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

simonokeeffe wrote:
neill_m wrote:Ulster team & replacements to play Scarlets, Guinness PRO12, Parc Y Scarlets, Saturday 12th September (3pm kick off):

15 Steffan Evans, 14 Hadleigh Parkes, 13 Regan King, 12 Gareth Owen, 11 Michael Tagicakibau, 10 Daniel Jones, 9 Aled Davies, 1 Phil John, 2 Emyr Phillips, 3 Peter Edwards, 4 Tom Price, 5 Lewis Rawlins, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 James Davies, 8 John Barclay [COPYRIGHT SIGN]

2 good 3/4 lines but youd think Ulster have them in the front five, could be high scoring this one
It almost was to Scarlets !
Terrible handling and game management by Ulster
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

even allowing for no natural 10s (iHumph, Windsor) or sexy ones (Olding) the game management was awful, just kicking the leather off it and doing it badly even though when they ran they did ok. The under use of McCloskey was almost like when Ireland choked in Cardiff in a grand slam decider and decided to just use BOD as a decoy all day

might be a nuisance for Joe but Payne has to revert to fullback to allow McCloskey to start after the world cup
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

simonokeeffe wrote:even allowing for no natural 10s (iHumph, Windsor) or sexy ones (Olding) the game management was awful, just kicking the leather off it and doing it badly even though when they ran they did ok. The under use of McCloskey was almost like when Ireland choked in Cardiff in a grand slam decider and decided to just use BOD as a decoy all day

might be a nuisance for Joe but Payne has to revert to fullback to allow McCloskey to start after the world cup
I really doubt that will happen though as we have Piteau coming next year so that would tend to show we are keeping Payne in the centre
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

rooster wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:even allowing for no natural 10s (iHumph, Windsor) or sexy ones (Olding) the game management was awful, just kicking the leather off it and doing it badly even though when they ran they did ok. The under use of McCloskey was almost like when Ireland choked in Cardiff in a grand slam decider and decided to just use BOD as a decoy all day

I really doubt that will happen though as we have Piteau coming next year so that would tend to show we are keeping Payne in the centre
Cave's face to not fit at provincial level?

You dont want McCloskey to do a JJ Hanrahan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

You're becoming dollardesque as regards McCloskey Simon :wink: :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:You're becoming dollardesque as regards McCloskey Simon :wink: :lol:
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

This would never have happened if it was still my thread.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:You're becoming dollardesque as regards McCloskey Simon :wink: :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:This would never have happened if it was still my thread.
I have Bumbleflex
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

simonokeeffe wrote:
rooster wrote:

Cave's face to not fit at provincial level?

You dont want McCloskey to do a JJ Hanrahan
Caves face fits ok, he is one of our top try scorers and is the scoring pass provider to a lot of Trimble, Bowe and Gilroy's trys plus main defence organiser, I expect they will rotate Cave, Payne and McCloskey with Cave at 13 when McCloskey is at 12