Off the Ball Rugby Special last night

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: Off the Ball Rugby Special last night

Post by jezzer »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:Just paid my first visit to munster fans, they really dislike Jamie Heaslip, and apparently BODs a bit smarmy for not trusting Keith Earls as a 13 and giving out to Peter Stringer for throwing intercept passes.

Real eye opener.
I reckon Jordi Murphy will pick up the hate baton
You reckon it's just a fear and hatred of guests from foreign lands then?
I remember being a little bitter about there being 8 or 9 Munstermen in EOS's starting XXIII, with guys like Mal, Gleese, Girve often missing out. On Sun, there could be 8 Leinstermen in the XV and maybe an entire bench of Leinstermen bar Ryan. A wee dram of bitterness is not to be unexpected, no matter how well the team's doing. MF.com tend to drown themselves in it, but it's just a natural bit of parochialism/envy that we've all felt in the past ourselves, or most of us will have.

That said, Heaslip has been immense, so they can all f%~k off.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I think it is Ulster supporters that have the most to complain about over the last two management teams for Ireland in terms of selection.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

fourthirtythree wrote:I think it is Ulster supporters that have the most to complain about over the last two management teams for Ireland in terms of selection.
I don't agree with that 433.
Ferris would be auto choice 6 if still playing, be at his peak about now :( .
Luke Marshall, if he had progressed and hadn't got all those concussions would be a regular center.
Owen McLove is not there yet but I think he will get lots of caps in the future.
Same with Olding, who looks very exciting.
Trimble would be a starter if he hadn't been out of the game for so long.
Touhy had his chances.
A lot of their top players have been NIQs.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:Matt Williams on second captains "revealed" he made the decision not to show replays/further footage of POC injury/lying prostrate

Also claiming credit for Chris Henry's international career (at 7 who played 8 under him)
More importantly it was Shane Jennings who very neatly changed the subject, just as Matt squared and Woodie were about to launch into a SOB punch frenzy
Henry was 20 when I first saw him play and all I can say is that he should have a load more caps than he actually has.
So no slap on the back there for Matt.
At a guess Henry has got most of his caps under Joe and if anyone in Ulster has a beef with an Irish coach/s it should be Joe's predecessors.
If either EOS or Dekko were still running the show, Henderson probably wouldn't be capped yet and Foley would have all the caps Toner has won to date.
Go on somebody, not from Munster preferably, say it isn't so.
If I never see another coach from Munster in the Ireland job, it'll be too soon. Hell frozen over would still be too soon.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschool wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Matt Williams on second captains "revealed" he made the decision not to show replays/further footage of POC injury/lying prostrate

Also claiming credit for Chris Henry's international career (at 7 who played 8 under him)
More importantly it was Shane Jennings who very neatly changed the subject, just as Matt squared and Woodie were about to launch into a SOB punch frenzy
Henry was 20 when I first saw him play and all I can say is that he should have a load more caps than he actually has.
At a guess Henry has got most of his caps under Joe and if anyone in Ulster has a beef with an Irish coach/s it should be Joe's predecessors.
If either EOS or Dekko were still running the show, Henderson probably wouldn't be capped yet and Foley would have all the caps Toner has won to date.
If I never see another coach from Munster in the Ireland job, it'll be too soon. Hell frozen over would still be too soon.
You do know Axle is being groomed as we speak.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

blockhead wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:I think it is Ulster supporters that have the most to complain about over the last two management teams for Ireland in terms of selection.
I don't agree with that 433.
Ferris would be auto choice 6 if still playing, be at his peak about now :( .
Luke Marshall, if he had progressed and hadn't got all those concussions would be a regular center.
Owen McLove is not there yet but I think he will get lots of caps in the future.
Same with Olding, who looks very exciting.
Trimble would be a starter if he hadn't been out of the game for so long.
Touhy had his chances.
A lot of their top players have been NIQs.
I don't really want to go into a x should have been selected thing, I think the management are hard headed and pick who they think will do what they want, when they want, best and fans disagreements with selection tend to either be based on a) local bias or b) preference for flair players. If you look at who was left behind this time Trimble is the big standout, I don't like the look of Tuohy myself but they could argue that one. And of those that have gone the one given the least chances has been Cave. He could be the Dave Kearney of the midfield rather than a bystander...

I just think that Ulster have a better case for claiming they don't get a fair crack under the last two management teams than either Leinster or Munster. I have confidence that they have run the rule over everyone and know what they are doing though. I haven't always had that confidence.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

You do know Axle is being groomed as we speak.
Of course I do and that's why, apart from any selfish Leinster reasons, I really hope Leo works out. Not to mention Lam or Kiss.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

jezzer wrote: I remember being a little bitter about there being 8 or 9 Munstermen in EOS's starting XXIII, with guys like Mal, Gleese, Girve often missing out.On Sun, there could be 8 Leinstermen in the XV and maybe an entire bench of Leinstermen bar Ryan. A wee dram of bitterness is not to be unexpected, no matter how well the team's doing. MF.com tend to drown themselves in it, but it's just a natural bit of parochialism/envy that we've all felt in the past ourselves, or most of us will have.
Well arguments could be made for Wallace/Johnny O'Conner ahead of Gleeson, I think Girve did OK caps wise, but funkin ending Mal's international career for a journeyman like Mick O'Driscoll!?!?! Aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhh
jezzer wrote: That said, Heaslip has been immense, so they can all f%~k off.

:lol: