Carrot AND stick?

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Carrot AND stick?

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

When I look at league and cup rugby in this part of the world, I am often frustrated by clubs selecting sub standard teams for what appear to them to be dead rubbers. Often we hear the old saw that in Europe the French will compete at home, but don't really care about the return leg. I can also recall many pro12 clubs doing much the same in the pro12 before a euro cup fixture.

I wonder has the idea been floated of stealing a bonus point, i.e., if you score 4 tries and win by a clear 10 points (for instance) that not only do you get an extra point, but the losing side loses a point. This should correctly punish clubs for selecting substandard teams for dead rubbers.

Carrot and stick.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: Carrot AND stick?

Post by Logorrhea »

Interesting idea.

Would require a level playing field though, of which there isn't. Weaker teams would be doubly punished for not having the financial clout of the bigger clubs and would lose points for just not being good enough.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Carrot AND stick?

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Logorrhea wrote:Interesting idea.

Would require a level playing field though, of which there isn't. Weaker teams would be doubly punished for not having the financial clout of the bigger clubs and would lose points for just not being good
I have thought about this also and I do have the same misgiving tobavcertain extent. However, in my opinion the benifits would outweigh this. We would see more exciting matches and increased spectator intetest because as you know, the only thing better that giving you greatest rival (ulster) abeating, is slso taking points off them :)