European Cup Rule Change 15/16

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

European Cup Rule Change 15/16

Post by neill_m »

There have been changes to the format for the draw for the semi finals this year. Details below:

http://www.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbych ... /rules.php

Knockout Stage

2.4 The clubs ranked 1 to 4 will have home advantage for the quarter-finals as follows:

Club 1 v Club 8 (QF1) Club 4 v Club 5 (QF2)
Club 3 v Club 6 (QF3) Club 2 v Club 7 (QF4)

NB The new format for the semi-final matches in the Champions Cup recognises performances by clubs during the pool stages as well as the achievement of a winning a quarter-final match away from home.

The winner of QF1 will play the winner of QF2 in one semi-final, and the winner of QF3 will play the winner of QF4 in the other semi-final as follows:

Semi-final 1: winner QF1 v winner QF2
Semi-final 2: winner QF3 v winner QF4

The semi-final matches will be played at venues designated by EPCR, but the following clubs will have home country advantage in their respective semi-final matches:

(a) For Semi-final 1

If the clubs ranked 1 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 1 will have home country

If the clubs ranked 1 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 5 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 8 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 5 will have home country advantage

(b) For Semi-final 2

If the clubs ranked 3 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 2 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 3 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 7 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 6 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 6 will have home country advantage
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Re: European Cup Rule Change 15/16

Post by enby »

all of which makes having Treviso in your pool all the more desirable
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Interesting that beating a higher ranking team in an away QF trumps the original ranking - e.g. if you are ranked 8 and win away, you effectively also win the higher ranking for the SF. Anyone recall the turnaround from QF to SF - won't be able to determine SF venue until QF played.

Not necessairily a bad idea. But no more "warm ball" draws :-).
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

It's fantastic for supporters that they will know the possible venues for their potential semi final as soon as the pool stages are over which all help with travel arrangements but there are some very strange semi finals possible.

Both the 5th and 6th seeds are in the fantastic position of knowing that they are guaranteed a home semi if they can win their away quarter whereas the 3rd and 4th seeds can never have a home semi. I wonder will we see anyone trying to play for a particular seeding now - if I could choose I'd probably elect to be 5th seed!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Xanthippe wrote:It's fantastic for supporters that they will know the possible venues for their potential semi final as soon as the pool stages are over which all help with travel arrangements but there are some very strange semi finals possible.

Both the 5th and 6th seeds are in the fantastic position of knowing that they are guaranteed a home semi if they can win their away quarter whereas the 3rd and 4th seeds can never have a home semi. I wonder will we see anyone trying to play for a particular seeding now - if I could choose I'd probably elect to be 5th seed!
X, as always, how perceptive you are in that analysis. Must confess that it appears to me to be the consequence of an, adjourned, Committee Meeting where a decision was taken over lunch to try to take the random nature out of progression after the Pool stages. There is absolutely no logic to favour 5th place over 3rd etc. as you have illustrated. The consequences could be attempts to manipulate results to attain such benefit - always a very dangerous precedent
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:It's fantastic for supporters that they will know the possible venues for their potential semi final as soon as the pool stages are over which all help with travel arrangements but there are some very strange semi finals possible.

X, as always, how perceptive you are in that analysis. Must confess that it appears to me to be the consequence of an, adjourned, Committee Meeting where a decision was taken over lunch to try to take the random nature out of progression after the Pool stages. There is absolutely no logic to favour 5th place over 3rd etc. as you have illustrated. The consequences could be attempts to manipulate results to attain such benefit - always a very dangerous precedent
Actually there is a logic - whether you agree with it or not - they say they are trying to balance form in the group stages with achievement in the later part of the competition. So in effect they are giving more reward for going to an away QF and winning than they are to a 3rd or 4th seed. Which I sort of get. It means never having to win all games away to win a cup.

It's not without merit - but does lead to another quirk - which is the point X made about 3rd and 4th seeds - though 3rd and 4th seeds get a reward of home QF
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Potential SF yes - but before the QF there will be two potential options depeding on the result of the other QF in the same half of the draw. Previously you knew the SF would be in one of two locations as well (depending on which side of the draw one of those would be "home") before the QF. I'm not sure there is much difference.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ill take this as being the official thread for the tournament.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why Stade Francais were penalised for being offside after a knock on last night? It was the player who knocked on who was deemed offside, not a team mate, so I'm very confused as to how that could be the case and don't think I've seen it before.

Awful start for the tournament, last night's game went seriously under the radar (even before the attacks), at least one end of Welford Road was almost entirely empty, and obviously loads of games cancelled this weekend. Hard to imagine that the games that do go ahead will have much of a buzz around them given everything else that's been going on, especially a Sunday afternoon kick off for us which is bleak at the best of times. Not that any of that is important.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Ill take this as being the official thread for the tournament.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why Stade Francais were penalised for being offside after a knock on last night? It was the player who knocked on who was deemed offside, not a team mate, so I'm very confused as to how that could be the case and don't think I've seen it before.

Awful start for the tournament, last night's game went seriously under the radar (even before the attacks), at least one end of Welford Road was almost entirely empty, and obviously loads of games cancelled this weekend. Hard to imagine that the games that do go ahead will have much of a buzz around them given everything else that's been going on, especially a Sunday afternoon kick off for us which is bleak at the best of times. Not that any of that is important.
only saw highlights but horrendous shoulder charge by Tom Youngs into a ruck right in front of ref but was ignored for the penalty which Ben Youngs tapped and went and scored
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Tigers try from new open-side flanker just after half-time was also obstruction as he was ushered down touchline by his teammate who moved fractionally in front of him to block Morne Steyn's tackle. Lacey made the call for the TMO before a 2nd angle could be shown tocheerleading by that wonderfully, objective, BT commentary crew.

Lacey has obviously acquired 'honorary' brit status in the refereeing environs after getting the 3rd place RWC Final, and is now their favourite neutral. IMO, another poor performance from him.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yep, agree on that try. Can't believe the TMO didn't slow it down, it was pretty obvious that he got ahead of O'Connor when you did that.

It was a terribly scrappy game and Lacey must take some of the blame. There were a few times when the players stopped because they expected a whistle but he'd missed whatever obvious incident had occurred. Playing advantage when a team is deep in their own territory and lacking numbers is pointless as well, just blow it up and put us out of our misery. I'll never understand how people rate him and it wasn't even a particularly bad game from him, usually it's his manner that annoys me the most.

Stade's trys were outstanding, pity they can't tackle. Arias in particular is a shambles.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Itoje reminds me so much of POC, just bounces from one involvement to the next, involved in everything.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Itoje reminds me so much of POC, just bounces from one involvement to the next, involved in everything.
Yup

Clancy having a mare as usual, Saracens all offside for maul that led to sinbin, then allowed Saracens an illegal sack and a few in from the sides
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The joy he took in giving Saracens a penalty for holding on at HT when Saracens hadnt actually rolled away was quite special.

That said, Toulouse have been an embarrassment.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Not giving Toulouse a penalty under the sticks there was quite unbelievable. Saracens player made no attempt to roll away and Clancy just looked at him as lay in the way of the the scrumhalf.

I dislike Duncan Taylor immensely. Always involved in a bit of niggle and has a face that's just begging to be slapped.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Toulouse clearly are not there mentally
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

JJ just set up a try beautifully.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
In the circumstances it might have been fairer to postpone all games which included a French team - their heads and hearts couldn't have been in the games.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't really buy that tbh. It's not like it was in Toulouse and it sounded like none of the players were affected personally. Plus it was last night, not like it was ongoing and there was uncertainty around their homes or people they knew with bits of news filtering through.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Xanthippe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
In the circumstances it might have been fairer to postpone all games which included a French team - their heads and hearts couldn't have been in the games.
Couldn't agree more.