New Rugby Laws

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

New Rugby Laws

Post by Ruckedtobits »

World Rugby (IRB) have announced new Laws to be trialled. Some of them, e.g. the breakdown defined, are fairly radical. BUT, the big news is that UBL Div 1A will participate in trial.

Interesting news for Irish referees and players in the swing-zone between 1st and 2nds in Div 1A Clubs.

Some interesting new concepts and more comment when they've studied properly.
molloyjh
Mullet

Re: New Rugby Laws

Post by molloyjh »

Haven't read up on them fully but the 42 reckons that players will be able to join the breakdown now from any angle as long as they do so from the new onside position 1m back from the breakdown. That could make for interesting viewing.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Ruckedtobits wrote:World Rugby (IRB) have announced new Laws to be trialled. Some of them, e.g. the breakdown defined, are fairly radical. BUT, the big news is that UBL Div 1A will participate in trial.

Interesting news for Irish referees and players in the swing-zone between 1st and 2nds in Div 1A Clubs.

Some interesting new concepts and more comment when they've studied properly.
Where did you see that UBL 1a will participate?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I liked the sound of some of the suggested changes a while ago but not these.

It's going to be very awkward to defend pick and drives with this new rule. If you're a metre behind the ruck then you're going to have a tough job deciding whether or not to join the ruck. So you might opt out but then see that you could win the ruck so go to move forward but by the time you do the ball could be picked up and you'd be offside. If this happens regularly then you'd just give up and the defensive line will become just like rugby league or a fast game of tip. It would work better if you still needed a defender to form a ruck but the way they've set this up makes it very difficult to slow the ball down.

If I was an AIL coach I'd play two opensides and prioritise pace in my half backs instead of game management etc. That's not the route I want rugby to go down at all.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The boys have once again lost the plot.
The reason we are getting so many concussions in the game is because the game has been speeded up so much.
So 50,000 $OZ or $NZ question is how many more concussions will these law changes cause?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I liked the sound of some of the suggested changes a while ago but not these.

It's going to be very awkward to defend pick and drives with this new rule. If you're a metre behind the ruck then you're going to have a tough job deciding whether or not to join the ruck. So you might opt out but then see that you could win the ruck so go to move forward but by the time you do the ball could be picked up and you'd be offside. If this happens regularly then you'd just give up and the defensive line will become just like rugby league or a fast game of tip. It would work better if you still needed a defender to form a ruck but the way they've set this up makes it very difficult to slow the ball down.

If I was an AIL coach I'd play two opensides and prioritise pace in my half backs instead of game management etc. That's not the route I want rugby to go down at all.
That may be the aim?
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Think the 1m back from the break down could be difficult to referee especially on quick pick and go type ball in the 22 area.

In fairness though you have to hand it to the powers that be that their not afraid to try new things to improve the game. The stop clock for example works very well and rules out the controversial late injury time winners/tie scores you see in soccer/gaa
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

its getting like the panel beating scene from Father Ted

if they just enforced the laws that are there it would be grand
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon