Mobility of players between the Provinces

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Mobility of players between the Provinces

Post by Oldschool »

There is a general perception that players from one province don't want to move to another province.
There appears to be a reluctance for players to transfer between the provinces and yet seemingly happy to transfer elsewhere.
So what are the potential roadblocks perceived or otherwise? What are the incentives.
Is/Was bi location in Munster an issue. I think/not sure that this has been resolved.
How are the imports received by the locals - are they seen as blow-ins or are they welcomed?
What's the social life. Is a player likely to meet the girl of his dreams? If he's already met the girl of his dreams would that deter him from a move.
Will it improve your international selection chances?
Is is more/less remunerative? How big a factor is money in the decision?
Does saying no to a suggested transfer career suicide?
Does the strength or weakness of the existing squad influence the decision?
Does the coaching ticket influence the decision.
For example does Les Kiss' appointment to Ulster make Ulster a more attraction option for players not from that province.
Is Connacht's perceived cinderella image a deterrent.
Does the age of a player come into the equation and alongwith that maybe family circumstance.

Should players be offered extra incentives, like a transfer fee, for moving?
Should(Has) the IRFU carry out a survey of players regarding the issues relating to transfers.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Mobility of players between the Provinces

Post by deco »

Perhaps they don't want to sign for their biggest rivals, given that they can earn more money playing for teams that aren't their biggest rivals.

Or

Perhaps they don't like the IRFU strong arm tactics of "we'll offer you a contract, but only if you play for another province".

Or

Perhaps they don't fancy playing for nonsense teams without identities, passion or fans who will win SFA and are made up of players from all the provinces with the sole intention of developing players for Team Ireland.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Mobility of players between the Provinces

Post by The Doc »

I'd say it's more of an inertia thing - once you have made the mental decision you are going to have to move - well then it makes little difference if it's 2 hours by car or 2 hours by plane. So why wouldn't you look at all the alternatives rather than just the one
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you