Feigning / highlighting injury

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Feigning / highlighting injury

Post by Logorrhea »

Not surprised that it wasn't mentioned here but Johnny collapsing in agony after appealing to the ref for a foul seems to becoming more and more common in the game.
(http://www.rugbyonslaught.com/2016/03/j ... itter.html)
Granted its nowhere near the likes of this beauty (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcEz4z9Byvo) and I'm 100% sure it was a yellow card offence regardless of what the scots think, but what are your thoughts? With referees looking to measure intent, and the extent of the injuries having an obvious impact on the referees decision making process can we expect anything other than players looking to aid (:)) the referee in their decision making process?
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: Feigning / highlighting injury

Post by FLIP »

I personally think that it was a delayed reaction to the pain.

Even if it wasn't, why shouldn't a player who has been illegally targeted all Six Nations with no protection from referees try and highlight dangerous play against him?
Anyone But New Zealand
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

So your okay when any player does it? or just our Johnny, because he's special like?
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Logorrhea wrote:So your okay when any player does it? or just our Johnny, because he's special like?
If they were a player who has been repeatedly targeted and injured by illegal play with no repercussions, I would support the player.

Just turns out that for the most part it is Irish players getting this treatment because we don't complain enough about piss poor refereeing.

Self preservation is a natural instinct.
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Logorrhea wrote:So your okay when any player does it? or just our Johnny, because he's special like?
Sexton didn't get justice either during or after the France game.
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
Sexton is no fool.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I dont like it, but better officiating/citing procedures would stamp it out

Both issues need to be sorted
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Its only really an issue if a chap from your country is about to get a ban from World Rugby for racism and your country's media needs to deflect attention from that.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

suppose we have to differenciate too between appealing and faking/diving, 2 very different things
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

So if Huget had a history of being hit you'd all be okay with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f4Tq7f0xec.

Personally I don't like to see it. Johnny pretended to be hurt as part of the appeal. We aren't playing soccer here but that was pure "simulation".

Another concern is that players think it does make a difference, that the ref can be impacted by it. That for me is the bigger worry for the game as a whole. Players know that the ref needs to examine any foul play involving the head or the neck so they just need to go down and hold their head/neck area knowing the ref will go and have a look. Physio's will so the same.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Logorrhea wrote:So if Huget had a history of being hit you'd all be okay with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f4Tq7f0xec.

Personally I don't like to see it. Johnny pretended to be hurt as part of the appeal. We aren't playing soccer here but that was pure "simulation".

Another concern is that players think it does make a difference, that the ref can be impacted by it. That for me is the bigger worry for the game as a whole. Players know that the ref needs to examine any foul play involving the head or the neck so they just need to go down and hold their head/neck area knowing the ref will go and have a look. Physio's will so the same.
I was referring to the appealing before grabbing his head. I think the head grab was genuine. This is a guy with a dodgy noggin. I wouldn't say it takes much to give him a fright and look for additional time.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Logorrhea wrote:So if Huget had a history of being hit you'd all be okay with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f4Tq7f0xec.

Huget was in no way hurt. Sexton was supplexed onto his shoulder, and his head took a bash in the process. There's no comparison whatsoever. One is pure simulation, the other is actually highlighting the fact he was obviously hurt in some way, even if the result wasn't as serious as it may have been. A neck spasm after such an action would not be uncommon.
Anyone But New Zealand
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

simonokeeffe wrote:suppose we have to differenciate too between appealing and faking/diving, 2 very different things
They are but both need to stop. I'm sick of seeing flapping scrum halves or players screaming at the ref. The play acting needs to stop too, I know people are rightly pointing out how Johnny got no protection during this tournament but the head holding was, quite frankly, embarrassing.

Neither appealing or play acting/exaggerating the impact of the game it not in the spirit of the game and given that rugby is highly technical it puts even more pressure on officials making their job more difficult!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

FLIP wrote:A neck spasm after such an action would not be uncommon.
Seriously? that's what were going with?

Meh it is what it is, we are where we are but I hope we keep this in mind next time we are outraged when another player does it against us.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Logorrhea wrote:
FLIP wrote:A neck spasm after such an action would not be uncommon.
Seriously? that's what were going with?

Meh it is what it is, we are where we are but I hope we keep this in mind next time we are outraged when another player does it against us.
When I see said player getting something pulled on him that can only safely be done by two muscle clad oiled men in lycra I won't be outraged.
Anyone But New Zealand