Player welfare - does more need to be done?

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Player welfare - does more need to be done?

Post by riocard911 »

Fascinating interview on the subject of player welfare in today's Grauniad with Alex Corbisiero. Worth reading:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/m ... land-lions
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Player welfare - does more need to be done?

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Read this and think about Cian H. Corbishero is making the smart choice and is the Prop who most closely resembles Cian in exposive strength and technical power. The article makes very clear the length of recovery needed.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Read this and think about Cian H. Corbishero is making the smart choice and is the Prop who most closely resembles Cian in exposive strength and technical power. The article makes very clear the length of recovery needed.
That was exactly who sprang to mind, when I read it. SO'B too though...
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I see Gavin Cummiskey picked up on the Corbisiero interview and put the questions it raised in the Leinster context to Leo Cullen: http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/w ... -1.2638508
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Corbisero credits the Player Union in the NFL for blocking contact, but part is also coming from data and owners understanding that moderation is good for the game.

Preserving careers is worth more than a few games. Corbisero missed 5 months returning too soon from a knee injury. Smart teams can get more from players if they look after them. This has been something the IRFU have been reasonably strong with, but could go further with and will benefit from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk