Munster 2016-2017

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by simonokeeffe »

Indo also saying the defence coach whose name I cant spell is also going

They dangled a red herring of saying Rassie has been told he can select whoever he wants, I'd take that to mean overseas based players, transformation is legally binding more or less
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Nothing more in the papers today that I could see. I'm wondering if this is going to happen at all. Wouldn't be surprised if its a nothing story.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Maybe but the Lions are the big story today and I thought it was interesting that Munster wouldn't comment on it yesterday.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Rassie leaving felt like the Mayweather McGregor fight, just constant clickbait that could never be disproven as pertained to future event

Now the fight is booked...
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Sailli has joined 'Quins
I have Bumbleflex
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Said it before but I think they've backed the wrong horse there. I know Taute's defence is perceived as better but he is so slow.....
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

offshorerules wrote:Said it before but I think they've backed the wrong horse there. I know Taute's defence is perceived as better but he is so slow.....
Maybe Farrell is good enough to be first choice and Taute made more sense than Saili as back-up
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't rate Saili much. He's quick off the mark and powerful but he's a headless chicken on both sides of the ball and his handling is poor. Taute is much better IMO. His season tapered off very quickly after his extension was announced but hopefully he was just wrecked, certainly showed up far better than Saili before that.

Hopefully JJ and Sam Arnold will be in the mix too. I'm a broken record about this and I'm fully aware that it won't happen, but I still reckon JJ could be a top class 12. I wish someone would sit him down and make him see sense. Not having the pressure of running the game at ten, having Taute outside him, having the likes of Kilcoyne and CJ always on hand to truck up sh!t ball, and having a really lively back three that goes looking for work in midfield could be the perfect environment for him. That's not criticism of Scannell, he's a fine player too, just think JJ's ceiling is higher.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Rassie gone at eod of the month. Deal between SARU and IRFU.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Not great news for Munster. Hopefully they've been looking and can get someone good and fast.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

ronk wrote:Not great news for Munster. Hopefully they've been looking and can get someone good and fast.
They can take Kiss away from us if they like, probably even get his luggage taken down there for nothing.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

ronk wrote:Not great news for Munster. Hopefully they've been looking and can get someone good and fast.
Hope there's been a decent exchange of a few bob here seems the least Munster deserve for this nonsense
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

TerenureJim wrote:
Hope there's been a decent exchange of a few bob here seems the least Munster deserve for this nonsense
If he had a release clause that's very unlikely. The lesson from him and Lam is don't allow release clauses in coaches' contracts, even if that means you don't get your first choice coach.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

neiliog93 wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
If he had a release clause that's very unlikely. The lesson from him and Lam is don't allow release clauses in coaches' contracts, even if that means you don't get your first choice coach.
Having somebody in charge who doesn't want to be there is worse than having nobody in charge. There are good Coaches out there who will become available for the Munster job which rates highly on the world Club scene. Timing is not great but the essential aspect is not to make a panic selection.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

paddyor wrote:Rassie gone at eod of the month. Deal between SARU and IRFU.
This story looks circular with no hard source. Have a look at the storyline here:

www.sport24.co.za/rugby

Nothing definite but quoting Irish sources.

Why would SA want to bring in Rassie at this point when they are going so well under their new management. Venter and Smith have had a major impact with Ackerman going really well with SA "A" team going very well against French Ba Bas.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Why would SA want to bring in Rassie at this point when they are going so well under their new management. Venter and Smith have had a major impact with Ackerman going really well with SA "A" team going very well against French Ba Bas.
Regardless on whether the reports are true or not, its when things are going well that you try to improve things rather than try to fix something thats broken.

Plus, its a massive job - whoever has the job has to transition elite rugby in SA from a sport that concerned itself with a very insular pyramid base of, at best, 20-odd percent of the population to a real national sport that has to compete with Soccer. Its actually an amazing opportunity, you get to redefine and reinvent your sport for your country. You could see in the team that whitewashed the French that they were not as talented as previous Springbok teams, but there was an attitude there that hasn't been there in the past - national pride and patriotism in what was, perhaps for the first time ever, a South African national rugby team.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

RTB, it's not like they suddenly went for him after the test on Saturday. They've been a shambles for a while now and have clearly been after him for months.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
paddyor wrote:Rassie gone at eod of the month. Deal between SARU and IRFU.
This story looks circular with no hard source. Have a look at the storyline here:

http://www.sport24.co.za/rugby

Nothing definite but quoting Irish sources.

Theres a guy on planet rugby saying its a done deal. Seems to have his ear to the ground. Says he activated the 6 month clause and instead of having him hang on to him until Novemeber the IRFU did a deal with SARU that may include Players.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:
Regardless on whether the reports are true or not, its when things are going well that you try to improve things rather than try to fix something thats broken.

Plus, its a massive job - whoever has the job has to transition elite rugby in SA from a sport that concerned itself with a very insular pyramid base of, at best, 20-odd percent of the population to a real national sport that has to compete with Soccer. Its actually an amazing opportunity, you get to redefine and reinvent your sport for your country. You could see in the team that whitewashed the French that they were not as talented as previous Springbok teams, but there was an attitude there that hasn't been there in the past - national pride and patriotism in what was, perhaps for the first time ever, a South African national rugby team.
is Rassie a DOR a la Lucifora or is he the national team head coach? doing both jobs at once would be a nightmare
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Can understand the relevance of all the comments. Can't see that he would have any impact this Season (at international level) as DOR. Can't see that he would be given involvement with National Team this Season given how well they've started this Season.

Certainly expect he will be gone at Christmas but that gives Munster a much better opportunity to select his replacement, post end of SH season. However, I have neither real concern, nor interest, in how it plays out as it appears definite he won't be in Ireland in 2018.