Munster 2016-2017

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by offshorerules »

I had a chuckle I'll admit.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Munster have called a press conference for today...
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

Come what may, I have the greatest respect for Rassie. The guy is quite simply a miracle worker, a la Wim Jansen. He took us from a rabble to the verge of a treble in 9 months.

Any Munster fan who says otherwise is an idiot.
Last edited by Cor. Ind. on April 3rd, 2017, 11:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

He's been fantastic for Munster and by extension for Irish rugby. I understand how he would feel he couldn't turn the offer down but it's still a huge loss for Irish rugby.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

He's been fantastic particularly in light of what has happened this year. That said the likes of Bleyendaal, Sweetnam, Ryan, Scannell x2 didn't come from nowwhere - they were developed over the last couple of years. Shame whats happening but its probably a once in a lifetime chance for him to do what he has probably always wanted to do. Don't know where that leaves us tbh - No problem with Nienaber being promoted to a Head Coach position but would assume that he wouldn't the Rassie role - its a hard fit when the core of the coaching staff is being retained
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

The 'best' fans in the world apparently....

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/ian-keatley- ... ife-362409
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Have to say I disagree with the above, I think it would be very poor form for him to leave. Signs a three year deal and signals his intention to leave less than a year into it at a time when a member of the coaching team died and he was strongly backed by the IRFU. I know there were clauses but I'm sorry I think that that's appalling in the circumstances.

Everything is going well now but fast forward a couple of months to Munster not winning a trophy and people will say that him leaving affected their performances and his legacy will not look so good. Reminds me of a couple getting married and one partner gushing about the other and planning for the future but then running off with an ex when they get a booty call.

There's no reason he couldn't be the SA coach in the future, doesn't have to leave now.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

offshorerules wrote:The 'best' fans in the world apparently....

That was awful but there isn't a province in the country that doesn't have fans who cross the line with players or coaches. Plenty of awful stuff was said on here about MOC and a few others so lets not start another provincial sh!t fight but maybe cop on to the fact that players and coaches are people too. It really grinds my gears when fans like that or on here have the temerity to slag off pro players who are infinitely more talented and hard working than they are.
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

Golf Man wrote:He's been fantastic particularly in light of what has happened this year. That said the likes of Bleyendaal, Sweetnam, Ryan, Scannell x2 didn't come from nowwhere - they were developed over the last couple of years. Shame whats happening but its probably a once in a lifetime chance for him to do what he has probably always wanted to do. Don't know where that leaves us tbh - No problem with Nienaber being promoted to a Head Coach position but would assume that he wouldn't the Rassie role - its a hard fit when the core of the coaching staff is being retained

In spite of Einstein's 'Law of Insanity', I'm sure many will call for POC & ROG's return. Kidney & EOS are simply too long out of the game.

Personally, if Rassie does leave then JN needs to be given free reign. Our coaching ticket already involves guys double jobbing.

At the very least, we'll need a forwards coach, a skills coach and a DR.
"Only in America!"

Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Have to say I disagree with the above, I think it would be very poor form for him to leave. Signs a three year deal and signals his intention to leave less than a year into it at a time when a member of the coaching team died and he was strongly backed by the IRFU. I know there were clauses but I'm sorry I think that that's appalling in the circumstances.

Everything is going well now but fast forward a couple of months to Munster not winning a trophy and people will say that him leaving affected their performances and his legacy will not look so good. Reminds me of a couple getting married and one partner gushing about the other and planning for the future but then running off with an ex when they get a booty call.

There's no reason he couldn't be the SA coach in the future, doesn't have to leave now.
Good points, well made. My worry would be that he takes the RSA job, results don't improve and AC & BV take the fall...if he then comes back for JN next season...well...
"Only in America!"

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

I've just had an horrible thought.
We up in Leinster have been wondering about when Burt is going to sign on the dotted line.
Is there a link between Rassie's departure and delay in Burt finalising things with Leinster.
Also and I hate to burst your bubbles but Rassie won't wait a year to sign NN.
BTW really tough luck for you guys.
Season going really well and boooommmm.
ALSO - If confirmed it's worthy of it's own thread.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Just a snippet I picked up today.

"SARFU have agreed the recruitment of Brendan Venter to the National Coaching staff with immediate effect. Venter will join SARFU as Defence and Exits Coach".

Is this a straw in the wind? It certainly is not part of the 'Transformation Agenda'.
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Just a snippet I picked up today.

"SARFU have agreed the recruitment of Brendan Venter to the National Coaching staff with immediate effect. Venter will join SARFU as Defence and Exits Coach".

Is this a straw in the wind? It certainly is not part of the 'Transformation Agenda'.
The only thing it proves is that Nienbar ain't going anywhere.
"Only in America!"

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Timbit wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
offshorerules wrote:The 'best' fans in the world apparently....

That was awful but there isn't a province in the country that doesn't have fans who cross the line with players or coaches. Plenty of awful stuff was said on here about MOC and a few others so lets not start another provincial sh!t fight but maybe cop on to the fact that players and coaches are people too. It really grinds my gears when fans like that or on here have the temerity to slag off pro players who are infinitely more talented and hard working than they are.
You don't have to look further than the "Who's toss and who's boss" thread on this site to know that the attitude isn't contained to Munster.
There is no comparison between MOC and Rassie.
In MOC's case, the fans and ultimately the IRFU wanted rid.
In Rassie's it's totally the opposite.
A comparison between Pat Lam and Rassie would be more appropriate.
Rassie, it is rumoured, will be the next SA national coach .
Munster have got a huge benefit from having him for one year.
The choice facing Munster now is between moving forward with a similsr coach or reverting to........ let's be kind.....
transition.
We had our transition and I wouldn't recommend.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

Hard to know what to make of Rassie's words today at the presser...there's a veritable chasm as long as the San Andre's Fault between a done deal and mere speculation...

Hmmm...for this at least I am grateful broer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHUfy_YBps
"Only in America!"

Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Oldschool wrote:
Timbit wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
You don't have to look further than the "Who's toss and who's boss" thread on this site to know that the attitude isn't contained to Munster.
There is no comparison between MOC and Rassie.
In MOC's case, the fans and ultimately the IRFU wanted rid.
In Rassie's it's totally the opposite.
A comparison between Pat Lam and Rassie would be more appropriate.
Rassie, it is rumoured, will be the next SA national coach .
Munster have got a huge benefit from having him for one year.
The choice facing Munster now is between moving forward with a similsr coach or reverting to........ let's be kind.....
transition.
We had our transition and I wouldn't recommend.
I think the comparison was between MOC and Keatley, not Rassie
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

If Rassie goes it's hard to blame him, he will have the chance to do what nearly every coach would aspire to do, coach their national squad.

It would have a massive impact on Munster however.
It's hard to know who Munster should line up as the next coach, it will have to be a coach that wants to continue what is happening, rather than stamp their own mark.

Lancaster may be a good fit as director of rugby with POC brought in as forwards coach, and Nienebar made head coach.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

munster#1 wrote:If Rassie goes it's hard to blame him, he will have the chance to do what nearly every coach would aspire to do, coach their national squad.

It's hard to know who Munster should line up as the next coach, it will have to be a coach that wants to continue what is happening, rather than stamp their own mark.

Lancaster may be a good fit as director of rugby with POC brought in as forwards coach, and Nienebar made head coach.
What an awfully lazy effort. What happened to you man?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

blockhead wrote:
munster#1 wrote:If Rassie goes it's hard to blame him, he will have the chance to do what nearly every coach would aspire to do, coach their national squad.

What an awfully lazy effort. What happened to you man?
He used to be beautiful
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Apart from the fact that Bomber wants to stick with the hands on coaching of the team and not the DOR stuff, yeah he would.

How did you put it last week?
"Jealousy is a sickening feeling alright"
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan