Munster 2016-2017

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by blockhead »

He's playing the best rugby of his career, odd move if true. They'll be burning effigies of ROG down south.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Good move for RC though, they could use a bit of anger
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Wouldn't be good for Munster. Strange to lose such a great player
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Munster 2016-2017

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Would make some sense of the signing of Deysel if true
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Cor. Ind. wrote:
munster#1 wrote:Munster: Andrew Conway; Darren Sweetnam, Jaco Taute, Rory Scannell, Ronan O’Mahony; Tyler Bleyendaal, Duncan Williams; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Dave O’Callaghan, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony Capt., Tommy O’Donnell, Jack O’Donoghue.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, James Cronin, Stephen Archer, Darren O’Shea, Conor Oliver, Angus Lloyd, David Johnston, Dan Goggin.

Strong looking team for Munster, with a lot of front line players starting.
This is a massive plus when looking to next week.

I would actually leave most of these players in situ for the qf for the minimum disruption.

I would bring Zebo in for ROM, and have earls on the bench as backline cover.

Ryan and stander will of course walk into the team in place of DOC and JOD.

Continuation is key imo.
I can see Cronin starting if he goes well tmr. Much better scrummager than Kilcoyne and ST have some beasts upfront. Baille, Census, Steenkampf, Gilaraldino, Tolufua.

Earls and Zebo will def come in for ROM and I would hope Scannell, rather than Sweetnam or Conway. Much better defensively, and this game will all be about big hits.

Best backline in Ireland?

9 Murray
10 Tyler
11 Zebo
12 Jaco
13 Earls
14 Sweetnam
15 Conway
Best scrumhalf in Ireland, but I would go with Leinster or Ulster backline over that.
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

*** Edited by Mod ***
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Cor. Ind. wrote:The only time I ever saw Earls play topline 13 was back when JDV was at 12 - e.g. HEC QF v Os 2009.

Taute is a very similar player to JDV. Not great pace, but great hands (l & r) and phenomenonal tackler.
JDV arrived the following season
Yep. Was the QF v Ospreys in 2010 @Thomone that I was thinking of...
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Munster played Saints in the 2010 quarter final
I have Bumbleflex
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Interesting discussion about who has the best backline.

For me Munster have the best back 3, with 2 of the 3 being first choice for Ireland, and the other being either of Conway or Sweetnam, who are both really good players.

I would also be of the opinion that Munster have the best half back pairing. Imo Tyler, although not the finished article, is probably the second best out half in Ireland, and Murray is so far ahead of the other scrum half in the country. As a pairing they have worked brilliantly together, with both players playing great rugby, both offensively and defensively.

Center, although not world class, have worked really good as a pair, with Taute scoring a fairly good number of tries in the big games.
Saying that, Leinster have the Irish starting center partnership.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Actually we learnt this six nations that Furlong is the most irreplaceable player for Ireland. Murray has two adequate backups. When Bleyendaal qualifies he will be an adequate replacement for Sexton and ahead of Jackson.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Munster 2016-2017

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Which two of Zebo, Conway and Sweetnam are first choice in the back three for Ireland?

Also to be noted that as much of a fan of Murray as I am, our pace was set at least as well by Marmion and L McGrath v England - so perhaps gap there is not as big as it was perceived to be?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Which two of Zebo, Conway and Sweetnam are first choice in the back three for Ireland?

Also to be noted that as much of a fan of Murray as I am, our pace was set at least as well by Marmion and L McGrath v England - so perhaps gap there is not as big as it was perceived to be?
I'm pretty sure that that is a loaded question, and one that even you know the answer to, so I will decline the opportunity to answer it.
I'll play nice and give you a hint incase you really don't know. One of those has played in all bar one of Ireland's games so far this season, and has started in all bar one of those games.
He has also played 80 mins in nearly all he's caps so far this season.

Murray is a world class player, and is likely to start all 3 lions tests if fit.
The gap has closed, but is still ver evident.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Munster 2016-2017

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

munster#1 wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:Which two of Zebo, Conway and Sweetnam are first choice in the back three for Ireland?

I'm pretty sure that that is a loaded question, and one that even you know the answer to, so I will decline the opportunity to answer it.
I'll play nice and give you a hint incase you really don't know. One of those has played in all bar one of Ireland's games so far this season, and has started in all bar one of those games.

Murray is a world class player, and is likely to start all 3 lions tests if fit.
I find that "oops" is often a perfectly acceptable answer.

I think I knew what you meant, but you'll forgive me for kicking a hopped ball I'm sure ;)
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

I find that "oops" is often a perfectly acceptable answer.

I think I knew what you meant, but you'll forgive me for kicking a hopped ball I'm sure ;)
It's actually fairly impressive that Munster have so many truly top class back 3 players that you are not sure which ones would be first choice for Ireland
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Examiner saying that Donnacha Ryan has signed for Racing: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 46143.html

"Munster and Ireland second row Donnacha Ryan has inked a deal to move to Ronan O’Gara’s Racing 92 in Paris, Examiner Sport understands. In a significant blow to both his province and national team after a stellar Six Nations campaign in the Irish pack, Ryan (33), has signed what is believed to be a two-year deal with his former team-mate’s Top 14 club."
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Cmon M1, just accept the oops...
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Hard to knock Ryan, he is coming close to the end of his career, and has likely had conversations with Joe about his future with the Irish squad looking at the next RWC.

He has probably weighed up his options, and made a decision based on that.

Very unfortunate if this is true, and is a big black mark for the irfu.
This is a very big loss for Munster, and with Foley also leaving, Munster will have to work hard to find a top quality replacement.
Ideally they will talk Dillane out of the year left in his contract with connacht, but that is unlikely.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ronk wrote:Wouldn't be good for Munster. Strange to lose such a great player
Bigtime, leaves them thin too with other departures

Shame is this seems to have been done before he ousted Toner as no1 lock (announcements gen delayed to after 6n). No offer of central probably key
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Wonder if there's any connection between the D Ryan news and Triggs hinted at offer?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Wonder if there's any connection between the D Ryan news and Triggs hinted at offer?
Triggs to Munster? You are such trollbait :wink:
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon