Munster 2016-2017

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Topdawg
Learner

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by Topdawg »

If the news is true which it seems it is, my ideal choice for a replacement would be Jason Holland.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

If Rassie goes It's all blujoe's fault ye can be sure of that. And Jamie has questions to answer too!

Just a little homage to the Munster posters forced out of here by the poison pens of the Ultras.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

neiliog93 wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
ronk wrote:Not great news for Munster. Hopefully they've been looking and can get someone good and fast.
Hope there's been a decent exchange of a few bob here seems the least Munster deserve for this nonsense
If he had a release clause that's very unlikely. The lesson from him and Lam is don't allow release clauses in coaches' contracts, even if that means you don't get your first choice coach.
Wouldn't agree with that. Lam was excellent for Connacht and more than worth an escape clause.

Erasmus had a good year and was only ever going to use the escape clause for the national team, it was worth a punt and they are in a better position now than if he'd never come.

It's like saying Leinster would have been better off without winning the Heineken Cups because Joe would have stayed.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

And some people on here wanted Leinster not to win the Heineken Cup in case it meant that MOC would stay.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ESPN via Cian Tracey but according to Chris Masoe he turned down Munster for Toulon as they offered 3 years instead of 2. Wouldve meant no Stander possibly?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Stander was already there. Presume that Munster realised that he wasn't going to be a top level number 8 so they went looking for one
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:Stander was already there. Presume that Munster realised that he wasn't going to be a top level number 8 so they went looking for one
5 years ago?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Stander was already there. Presume that Munster realised that he wasn't going to be a top level number 8 so they went looking for one
5 years ago?

Didn't he sign just over 5 years ago, initially to little success as Penny didn't think he was all that hot in that position? Standers missus had a pop at him on the tweetutron?
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
5 years ago?

Didn't he sign just over 5 years ago, initially to little success as Penny didn't think he was all that hot in that position? Standers missus had a pop at him on the tweetutron?
Both moved in 2012
But in his first season Penney would have preferred Masoe :)
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Topdawg wrote:If the news is true which it seems it is, my ideal choice for a replacement would be Jason Holland.
http://www.the42.ie/jason-holland-hurri ... 9-Jun2017/
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Limerick rumour is the departure will be announced at weekend.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Examiner journo saying it will be formally announced today
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Is it too soon to open a congratulations to Rassie Erasmus thread on being appointed to national coach of South Africa thread in the international section ?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:Examiner journo saying it will be formally announced today

And indeed it has been...

Munster Rugby and the IRFU can today confirm that Director of Rugby Rassie Erasmus and Defence Coach Jacques Nienaber are set to depart the province at the end of December.
Joining Munster at the start of July 2016, the South African coaching duo, along with Jerry Flannery, Felix Jones and the late Anthony Foley, guided the squad to a Guinness PRO12 final and Champions Cup semi-final.

Working closely with the IRFU, Munster Rugby is currently looking to identify replacements, with Jerry Flannery and Felix Jones already confirmed as forwards coach and backline and attack coach respectively.

Commenting on the departures Munster Rugby CEO Garrett Fitzgerald said: “With the squad and management returning for preseason this week we can today confirm that Rassie and Jacques will return to South Africa.

“While we understand Erasmus’ reason to return to his home country for an opportunity as the national director of rugby we are disappointed to see him and Jacques both leave. Working closely with both I witnessed first-hand the work that they do, and we will always be grateful to Rassie for leading the squad through our most difficult time with the untimely passing of Axel (Anthony Foley).

“I believe we were very lucky in securing Rassie and Jacques in the first place, and we are thankful for the services of such experienced and knowledgeable coaching talent. Rassie succeeded in getting us back on track with much of the same personnel and when you see how far we have come and what we have gone through as a squad and organisation I am confident we will successfully manage the next stage. As a group we will be all the better for their input with Jerry and Felix now ready to step up to the next level.

“We have been in this position before, whereby our coach has been offered a national role and we are not going to stand in the way of someone in that regard. We understand Rassie’s decision, and all parties are working together in managing the situation.

“I believe we are in a positive place and I don’t think there will be any doubts around what we can achieve and go on to do. We’ll continue to learn from both coaches and progress with putting the structures and processes in place in making sure we are a side performing and competing at the highest level.”

http://munsterrugby.ie/2017/06/30/coach ... ouncement/
I have Bumbleflex
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

I can respect why he has gone. The Boks are better with him at the wheel.

I can also understand why he lied to the media about staying. They had forced him into a corner and admitting it would have done no one any favours.

What confuses me most is Scannells report that he sat them down and said he was staying. If that is true it is a real kick in the balls to the squad
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Its bad timing as most coaches would have plans fixed for next season especially if they want another experienced one, mid season change not ideal either, in terms of free agents thered be Currie Cup or NPC/ANZC coaches

Therell be endless speculation about ROG but really doubt he'll take it and nobody would want him as a dagger wielding no2
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://www.supersport.com/rugby/sa-rug ... r_of_Rugby
Erasmus named Saru's Director of Rugby
30 June 2017, 11:34
Rassie Erasmus will be re-joining SA Rugby to fill a vacant role it was confirmed on Friday.

Erasmus, who left a year ago to take up a position at Irish province, Munster, will return as the Director of Rugby to oversee South African rugby’s eight national teams and participation and management of 20 competitions as well as the development of players, coaches and referees.

During his time in Ireland he was named as Guinness Pro12 Coach of the Year after leading Munster to the top the log for the first time in six years as well as to the semifinals of the European Champions Cup. Munster won 26 out of 32 matches in all competitions.

Erasmus’s employment with Munster will terminate on 31 December 2017. Jacques Nienaber, who joined Erasmus in Ireland, is also returning to SA Rugby as high performance coach.

Allister Coetzee’s position as Springbok coach remains unchanged, said Jurie Roux, CEO of SA Rugby.

“Allister has done a great job to turn the Springboks around this season and I can categorically put to rest any idea that he is being replaced as Springbok coach,” said Roux.

“We will do everything in our power to support him for the Castle Lager Rugby Championship and everything that lies beyond that.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

This is good news for Leinster rugby, and really, really bad news for Munster and Irish rugby if we're honest.

The two brought fresh thinking and a different approach to Munster. Failed perhaps to move the attacking game on significantly, but the likelihood was that was coming this season.

If I were a Munster player I'd be slightly pissed at the way he has handled this, but anyone can understand the decision to return home to a higher level role.

The December date will give Munster time to plan, but it's also very bad timing for a guy to be leaving mid season. Could create serious instability.

Any guesses as to a replacement?

I wonder would Robbie Deans fancy a trip West?

Or would they press the nuclear button and go for a ROG/POC/Jones team?

So long as they stay away from Lancaster...
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Given it's been rumoured for so long there will already be a plan?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dallas Rugby would likely be happy to cover Mike Ford's flights come December
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan