David Nucifora - Ongoing

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: David Nucifora - 2015/2016

Post by Flash Gordon »

Interesting parallel to our situation as the English County Cricket championship which has gone down to the last game of the season with Yorkshire, Middlesex and Somerset all in contention and with the top two, Yorkshire and Middlesex playing each other. The international board (ECB) has refused to release Yorkshire's England players for the deciding fixture. Yorkshire and England star Jonny Bairstow has played 5 days cricket in 25 days and wants to play the match but the ECB's Andrew Strauss, interestingly, a former Middlesex player.....has refused permission. Unlike us, Yorkshire have hit the roof claiming the lack of availability is not ok.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ah Cricket. Sandwiched in there as it is between tennis and golf for the title of most boring sport. :lol:
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

johng wrote:Ah Cricket. Sandwiched in there as it is between tennis and golf for the title of most boring sport. :lol:
Says the lad who went to the school that supplied the England Captain...... ;-)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

It was a cricket free zone in my day. That all happened before and after my time.

We had our own sport that we played then. It was called "RugbyBadly".
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Can anyone tell me what happened to Cathal Sheridan? Is he injured?
BlueStreak
Knowledgeable

Post by BlueStreak »

sunshiner1 wrote:Can anyone tell me what happened to Cathal Sheridan? Is he injured?
Released by Munster at the end of last season. Doesn't seem to have signed up anywhere else
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

BlueStreak wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:Can anyone tell me what happened to Cathal Sheridan? Is he injured?
Released by Munster at the end of last season. Doesn't seem to have signed up anywhere else
He seems to be working with the UL Bohs academy. Real shame that he has continued as a player, he seemed like a very good player.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Think he officially retired

Had problems with injury and then depression
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Think he officially retired

I'm sorry to hear that. I remember seeing Sean Henry who used to play for them and Connacht getting injured and going down. He had to retire as well even though he still calls himself a professional rugby player on twitter. Must be devastating to those guys to finish there career at that age.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Can somebody shed light on when Sheridan was thrown under the bus. Memory was he was getting some game time and looking positive then got injured and TO'L was recruited. Did he have a couple of total 'mares which have graduated to 'epic failures' along the way? Or is this another case of 'give a dog a bad name and he'll always be a mongrel'?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Can somebody shed light on when Sheridan was thrown under the bus. Memory was he was getting some game time and looking positive then got injured and TO'L was recruited. Did he have a couple of total 'mares which have graduated to 'epic failures' along the way? Or is this another case of 'give a dog a bad name and he'll always be a mongrel'?

I don't think Sheridan was ever thrown under the bus - he was always very highly thought of down south, certainly held in considerably higher regard than Duncan Williams by everybody except the Microsoft Office man of the year.
I have Bumbleflex
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

simonokeeffe wrote:Think he officially retired

Cathal spoke about the experience in this video to raise awareness and understanding for depression. Sounds like he's minding himself which is great to hear. Hope things go well for him!

http://www.joe.ie/sport/video-munster-r ... lth/536379
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Flash Gordon wrote:

Cathal spoke about the experience in this video to raise awareness and understanding for depression. Sounds like he's minding himself which is great to hear. Hope things go well for him!

Depression is a very serious and often unseen problem, hope the lad gets himself sorted out.
"It's good to talk" as the old BT ad said.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

rooster wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

Depression is a very serious and often unseen problem, hope the lad gets himself sorted out.
From poor auld Bob Hoskins, himself no stranger to depression.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

rooster wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

Not sure it's unseen as something like 1 in 4 suffer from depression in Ireland. It's still one of those things that Irish people struggle to talk about and deal with though. Great to see sports people stand up and talk about it in such an open way. I posted about cricketer, Jonny Bairstow not being available for England a couple of posts back. Jonny's dad, David Bairstow was the epitome of the non nonsense Yorkshireman in public but in private he suffered terribly from depression and ended up committing suicide.

On that note, Jack McGrath's piece in the same campaign was particularly poignant. It was played at the IRUPA awards this year and you could see some big men welling up.

http://www.joe.ie/index.php/sport/video ... ide/535905

Always mind yourself people!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Flash Gordon wrote:
rooster wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: Cathal spoke about the experience in this video to raise awareness and understanding for depression. Sounds like he's minding himself which is great to hear. Hope things go well for him!

Not sure it's unseen as something like 1 in 4 suffer from depression in Ireland. It's still one of those things that Irish people struggle to talk about and deal with though. Great to see sports people stand up and talk about it in such an open way. I posted about cricketer, Jonny Bairstow not being available for England a couple of posts back. Jonny's dad, David Bairstow was the epitome of the non nonsense Yorkshireman in public but in private he suffered terribly from depression and ended up committing suicide.

On that note, Jack McGrath's piece in the same campaign was particularly poignant. It was played at the IRUPA awards this year and you could see some big men welling up.

http://www.joe.ie/index.php/sport/video ... ide/535905

Always mind yourself people!
When I said unseen Flash I was referring to many individuals not been seen by even their close friends as being depressed, the problem is well recognised on a national basis though, it's picking out the individuals that suffer from it can be the problem.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I think Nucifora has played a part in Ireland's success this year. We've all these new, young players coming through and he has played a part in that by opening opportunities for them.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

dropkick wrote:I think Nucifora has played a part in Ireland's success this year. We've all these new, young players coming through and he has played a part in that by opening opportunities for them.
+1
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
dropkick wrote:I think Nucifora has played a part in Ireland's success this year. We've all these new, young players coming through and he has played a part in that by opening opportunities for them.
+1
PLUS 1 and he helped us big time getting rid of MOC
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Trying to put some exact names in out of interest

JVDF
Leavy
J Ryan
Carberry

Possibles of Luke McGrath and Billy Holland
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon