David Nucifora - Ongoing

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: David Nucifora - 2015/2016

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Bealham
Dillane
Stander
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Bealham
Dillane
Stander
Wouldn't you love to know what, if anything, was his involvement in the recruitment of Erasmus, Farrell snd Lancaster to name but three
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

And perhaps beside each name you could put what Nucifora did to bring them on. I'll start...

Joey Carbery - unable to do the job he was hired to do and failed to keep Ian Madigan in the Irish system.
Tadgh Furlong - unable to do the job he was hired to do and failed to keep Martin Moore in the Irish system.

CJ Stander - Invented time travel to travel backwards in time to before he was hired to get the third last Munster coach to sign him as a project player.

Now you go.

In reality, David Nucifora contributed €270 to the series, thats all.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dillane
Stander
Dont think Nucifora cleared a pathway for any of them though. Bealham benefitted from White's injury, other two were steady first choices at provinces

JVDF & Carberry benefitted from Leinster not being able to sign NIQ players in their positions
J Ryan from Munster not being allowed more NIQ/NIE tightheads
Could make same argument for project players not internationals with McGrath and Holland

Madigan and Moore moved for money, gametime, and bad advice for the latter. IIRC Madigan said he just couldnt bring himself to play for another province
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

The VDF, Carbery and John Ryan examples shows that its good not go give provincial coaches free reign to sign who they like. Leinster trying to sign a foreign openside last season is a classic example. Why play a young talented Irish openside when you can pay more for a less talented foreigner.

As for Madigan and Moore. Has their departures been felt at all yet? I don't think so. I rate Moore but he is always injured.

Ulster fans will still be pissed off about Pienaar but they should be more worried about their pack. If anything Nucifora might just be the man to sort things out in Ulster. The problem with players like Pienaar is provinces can get lazy about finding and developing players in that position. Look at the turnaround in props from 3 or 4 years ago. Back then people were saying we should be bringing in Georgians because Irish people can't do it. :?

Oldschool wrote:
Dillane
Stander
Wouldn't you love to know what, if anything, was his involvement in the recruitment of Erasmus, Farrell snd Lancaster to name but three

Good point. He also set up the 7s team and even though I'm not a big 7s fan, it is good for players to experience that for a season as they get to handle the ball more in a competitive situation and improve their overall skills. He has also set up the talent scouts around each province looking for the next Furlong or SOB.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Dave Cahill wrote: In reality, David Nucifora contributed €270 to the series, thats all.
Does he even have to pay for his match tickets?
Four Stars
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

People are quick to go after the likes of Nucifora but very reluctant to praise him. He's in charge of everything when its going wrong, yet responsible for nothing when its going so well.

The provinces seem to be getting up off the floor, young players are starting to come through the systems, the national team is flying again, the ladies team has become relevant, the underage teams are competing better than they have in a long time and yet some would have you think its all in spite of the man who is responsible for "player development, pathway and succession planning, professional coach development, national team performance, provincial team performance, national age-grade teams and Women's team performance."

Bullsh*t. The results speak for themselves. He's doing a damn good job.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Logorrhea wrote:People are quick to go after the likes of Nucifora but very reluctant to praise him. He's in charge of everything when its going wrong, yet responsible for nothing when its going so well.

The provinces seem to be getting up off the floor, young players are starting to come through the systems, the national team is flying again, the ladies team has become relevant, the underage teams are competing better than they have in a long time and yet some would have you think its all in spite of the man who is responsible for "player development, pathway and succession planning, professional coach development, national team performance, provincial team performance, national age-grade teams and Women's team performance."

A lot of people were unhappy that Nucifora was instrumental in ousting one of the poorest coaches Leinster have ever had (and we've had a few).
The reason he did was for the benefit of the Ireland setup. Leinster, however, were the primary beneficiaries.
Never look a gift horse in the mouth is good advice and we didn't.
Nucifora's action has indirectly (or maybe directly, we don't know) led to, Leinster using Graham Henry to give us the benefit of his wisdom which was a really smart move. Signing Burt was simply incredibly smart. - I doubt very much that Nucifora had any problem rubber stamping the suggestion.
None of the above would have happened with MOC still in situ.
All Leinster fans should be eternally gratefully to Nucifora. The results, as you rightly point out, speak for themselves.
Leinster are going places again and if MOC was still coaching us we'd be lucky to be in European this season.
The feel good factor is back in Leinster.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Logorrhea wrote:People are quick to go after the likes of Nucifora but very reluctant to praise him. He's in charge of everything when its going wrong, yet responsible for nothing when its going so well.

He is doing nothing - which is an improvement on what he was doing. He hasn't managed to lose any players this season. Yet.

Edit: bugger, where is the rest of my post gone! Feckin' windows
I have Bumbleflex
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Potentially decent group came through the 7s circuit - Byrne, Daly, Goggins, Wotton etc. Another batch of kids headed that way this year. At worst it feels like a good path for up and coming young backs to dip into and then out of and into the fringes of the provincial first teams. Nucifora has been an advocate of that. Whether it works or not is early to tell and if they benefit is hard to establish or quantify, but in theory it seems good.

I didn't agree with the Pienaar thing but the more I look at it and compare the Ulster and Leinster conveyor belts the more you understand Nucifora's position.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

dropkick wrote:The VDF, Carbery and John Ryan examples shows that its good not go give provincial coaches free reign to sign who they like. Leinster trying to sign a foreign openside last season is a classic example. Why play a young talented Irish openside when you can pay more for a less talented foreigner.
Who did Leinster try to sign at openside last year?
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

hugonaut wrote:
dropkick wrote:The VDF, Carbery and John Ryan examples shows that its good not go give provincial coaches free reign to sign who they like. Leinster trying to sign a foreign openside last season is a classic example. Why play a young talented Irish openside when you can pay more for a less talented foreigner.

I don't know who but I think it was Nucifora himself who said they were trying to sign someone.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

dropkick wrote:
hugonaut wrote:

I don't know who but I think it was Nucifora himself who said they were trying to sign someone.
Could it have been George Smith? Did he go to Wasps around that time?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

hugonaut wrote:
No one. Leinster tried to get a blindside in on a joker after Kev retired and Rhys was firstly away at the RWC and then injured. (I think Ryan also got injured around this time too, but couldn't swear to it)
I have Bumbleflex
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

dropkick wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
Yeah, Nucifora says a lot of things.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

It was reported that Munster were apparently after an openside at the same time they were after Stephen Moore, but that got the kibosh.
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:It was reported that Munster were apparently after an openside at the same time they were after Stephen Moore, but that got the kibosh.
They signed IQ Sean Doyle for 3 months formerly of Ulster but weren't allowed use him. That mess was mostly on them though. They dumped Dougal and Butler and TOD got injured in the RWC warm up. Then they found 6s and 8s wouldnt work.

To his great credit, he did see "RWC winner" BJ Botha out the door and Ryan ( plus a single training base ) has been a vast improvement.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

The non signing of Moore has helped Niall Scannell. Scannell seems to be getting better every week, as you would expect with a hooker. They need a bit more time to mature.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Lets play a game.

Its called, "Guess who has f%~ked off to the other side of the world during contract season".
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:Lets play a game.

Its called, "Guess who has f%~ked off to the other side of the world during contract season".
oh ffs
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon